Hey guys, I just got my 8130 pearl on verizon and i love it!!!! I was searching for accessories and i found these wireless routers.

the company is at cradlepoint.com. i found their routers on ebay, and all over the place. but from what i can tell, it seems you simply plug your blackberry into this router with your data cable, and BAM a wifi hotspot for you to connect to with a laptop!!!!!

Might be a cheap alternative to air card users.

anyone tried or seen one these things?
    02-29-08 04:48 PM
    So it's like BlackBerry tethered modem but wireless?

Cool!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-29-08 05:42 PM
    I'm listening...
    02-29-08 07:12 PM
    Hey guys, I just got my 8130 pearl on verizon and i love it!!!! I was searching for accessories and i found these wireless routers.

the company is at cradlepoint.com. i found their routers on ebay, and all over the place. but from what i can tell, it seems you simply plug your blackberry into this router with your data cable, and BAM a wifi hotspot for you to connect to with a laptop!!!!!

Might be a cheap alternative to air card users.

anyone tried or seen one these things?

It's a cool little device, basically a 3G wifi router. It can work off of any 3G USB card, and some devices. As of a week ago, it did not support my Verizon BB, it did support Sprint.
    03-01-08 08:22 AM
    why not just use bluetooth? Thats what i did with my old US Cellular Razr... I have not been able to figure out tethering with my BB yet as i dont have the PAM feature.
    03-01-08 08:38 AM
    The beauty of it is that you can light up a pretty big area and allow others to surf off your BB if you wanted (granted it would be pretty damn slow). It's really designed as a mobile hotspot, on buses, trains, boats, etc. Uses 3G as the backhaul.
    03-01-08 09:25 AM
    The beauty of it is that you can light up a pretty big area by connecting to another stronger access point, and allow others to surf off your BB if you wanted (granted it would be pretty damn slow). It's really designed as a mobile hotspot, on buses, trains, boats, etc. Uses 3G as the backhaul.
    03-01-08 09:26 AM
    "Traditional" wireless broadband routers rarely have wireless networking ("Wi-Fi") built-in here, in fact I can think of just one particular device that does, so this sounds like a good work-around system...

It's a very clever idea, especially in areas where wireless broadband is the only option (which is quite common Down Under).

03-01-08 09:12 PM
    This seems to be different than a blue tooth setup. from what i know of bluetooth, you can only use it with 1 computer, and it cant be shared. even then alot of phones that will support tethering wont support blue tooth tethering. i know most verizon phones wont.

i called the company, and they said they have a new firmware release out that works with pretty much all the black berries on verizon, sprint, and att. he said it will work with all USB air cards from those providers too.

i thnk sharing a wifi connection woudl be fun. going on a road trip, or have a meeting, or live out int he middle of no where, you will still have internet connection for many users.

pretty neat!
    03-05-08 11:12 AM
    Does anyone use a Mac I just posted a new thread with respect to this topic but why buy a router when you can use the Bluetooth feature on your phone? I saw that someone already posted this but on my Mac book pro it would connect to my phone via Bluetooth and said it was connected to BB internet but it wasn't HELP!

03-05-08 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD