There is no way I could go back to a dumb phone from a smart phone.
    01-20-09 09:08 PM
    If I did that then that means I'm having big financial trouble and can't afford a data plan.
    Diddo! Never would I ever want to go back!
    01-20-09 10:28 PM
    Even without a data plan blackberry's destroy everything.
    01-20-09 10:42 PM
    Go back to my chocolate? Never. My 5 year old Motorola T730c... Maybe (I miss that phone. A LOT. Got me through some hard times). To be honest I'd switch to a Nokia in a heartbeat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 10:42 PM
    I can't believe the timing of this thread. I'm seriously considering going back. I primarily use my phone as... a phone. Secondary uses are email, SMS, calendar and camera. These are the features I find useful for work. I can do all of this on my Nextel i580, with the right combination of J2ME apps.

Phone - I still find the flip form factor much more comfortable to use as a phone, and I find the form factor of non-flips to be uncomfortable to use as a phone, especially those wide enough for a qwerty keyboard. And I wouldn't be caught dead with a bluetooth thingy on my head, so the comfort factor of actually holding the phone is important to me. Enabling the speakerphone is an option in the right environment, but I find the BB speakerphone too weak for anything but a not-too-noisy office environment. On the other hand, the Nextel speakerphone is outstanding.

Email - I setup my filters (BIS for BB, or Gmail filters for Nextel) to limit the mail I get to only what I really need to get while I'm out, resulting in maybe 6 emails a day to my mobile device (usually with no attachments). If there are attachments, on my Nextel I can open the Gmail J2ME client and read the text of the attachments (what I really need), without the pretty page view I get on my BB. My responses while using my mobile device can be brief, so T9 input is not a problem. (I'll admit that if I actually sent more mail, I would probably be better at using the tiny qwerty keys, and T9 would a less acceptable alternative). T9 keyboard and smaller screen not an issue.

SMS - average about 2 a day. T9 keyboard and smaller screen not an issue.

Calendar - I mainly need to refer to my calendar when I'm out, which I can do on my Nextel with Opera Mini. I can't edit or delete events, like I can on the BB (w/ Google Sync), but I can add events, which I sometimes need to do while I'm out.

Camera - 1.3MP camera on my Nextel is fine for what I need it for.

Now, for all the other things that I have on my BB - media player, slacker radio, Viigo, Google Maps (that's on my Nextel too), Superpages Mobile (Infospace Find It on my Nextel - and GPS works). Are these things nice to have? Sure. Do I need them? No.

I'll be using my Nextel for about the next month, to see if I really believe all of the above.
    01-20-09 10:46 PM
    My Pearl is my first BlackBerry. I upgraded from a crappy Sidekick 3. I would never EVER thing about going from a BlackBerry to a regular phone. I am way too much of an addict for that! I know that once my two year contract on my Pearl is up I will be purchasing another BB!
    01-20-09 11:21 PM
    Well, I was (note the word "WAS") very satisfied and happy with the RAZR that I bought last summer. However, in Dec, we had an upgrade available (my fiancee and I are on a family plan). My fiancee was going to do the upgrade and was going to get a RAZR like mine.

Then, we started talking about how, in my business, I have 3 or 4 clients who only text and email. And, since I am a one-person operation, I can't be strapped to my laptop all day.

And, at that point, the Pearl, with the rebate, was about the same price as the RAZR. The unlimited text and data plan cost me about $15 extra a month.....not a big $$ layout. So, I got the Pearl and my fiancee inherited my RAZR.

In the past, I never thought I would like a smartphone (largely because of the size).....I had tried out some of the other berry models used by some of my friends, and they are just too large for my liking. But, the Pearl....it is perfect! Even with the otterbox, it is not too large or bulky for me to use comfortably. Now I can't imagine being without a smartphone!

So, I guess you could say that I am an addict for life! It is just too convenient to be able to get my emails when I am at a client's office or even standing in line at the supermarket.....
    01-21-09 08:06 AM
    I did - sort of. I never liked talking on my BB, didn't like it on my belt, and wanted something I could beat up (I don't want to beat up my Curve!) - so I have a dumb phone for a phone and my BB for PDA, media, internet, and all that jazz. If I couldn't have both, I'd probably go with the dumb phone, but I wouldn't be happy about it.
    01-21-09 09:50 AM
    I was just talking about this the other day. I could never see myself using anything other than a BB, or even a smartphone for that matter.
    01-21-09 10:02 AM
    I did....after 2 older model blackberries (the 7100 being the newest), I went to a couple of WM phones. But soon got bored with them. After my Pearl and now my Curve, I'll NEVER own anything other than a BB.
    01-21-09 10:43 AM
    From a BB curve i went to an Iphone and wanted to shoot myself for such a stupidity now back with the Bold since Oct and dont think ill ever go back to anything thats not made by BB
    01-21-09 10:57 AM
    Ya me too, I had all the Palm Treos from the 380 all the way up till the 800w I had HTC Mogul as well. I think plam killed its self with going so far from their own OS it was a stable OS that lacked some features mainly being that you couldn't realy multi task. But on some WM6.1 devices they were addressing it. They would of stayed afloat with palm & winmo phones. So to see a new design/ form factor and new OS blows my mind. I wouldn't leave my 8330 Curve for it. I'm on sprint and so miss a touch screen but for all this bad boy has to offer ill deal with it. Ill look at the "PRE"
    That is but by some vids I have seen and demos is a totaly dif phone who wants to learn a whole new way to smartphone. The big wigs at palm screwed up and Ill say with in a year they "palm" will fold.

I am also new to the BB world but not new to smartphones. I have owned many diff phones(HTC, Palm, etc) and honestly i don't think i would ever think about going back. I am absolutely utterly addicted to my BB and to the CB site. I love everything about my 8330 and it trumps every other phone ive owned IMO. The only other phone im curious about is the Palm Pre and can't wait to see a final product hands on. But i still would have many reservations about leaving my curve lol.
    01-21-09 10:58 AM
    I would never be able to do it! Not even for a few hours.
    01-21-09 12:18 PM
    I have 2 phone lines that I use for business and only one gets used. I could never go back to a regular phone again.
    01-21-09 12:30 PM
    this is so funny! i didn't expection so many replies and such strong opinions about it!!

the reason i got my BB to begin with was because my phone got stolen (i had the lg env2, great texting phone, full qwerty keyboard)...i was absolutely IN LOVE with that phone! but once it got stolen i dunno why i decided i wanted to try the pearl. now i can't even think about using the lg phone. i feel so stuck up. but i'm not. really.
    01-21-09 01:06 PM
    i hope that i wouldn't have to in the future, but who knows. i can say though, when i was setting up my parents phones (address book), i had a hard time typing in all the names. it took a long time for me to input 1 contact when i could've done tons more on my blackberry.
    01-21-09 03:26 PM
    I have had so many phones before my first BB. Last phone I had was the LG Rumor for Sprint before I switched to the Curve 8330. I have about 10 different nextel phones before that, including the i920 (don't remember the name, but it looks like the i920) with Windows Mobile. After I had the Curve, I couldn't handle Sprint anymore so I switched to AT&T and bought the iPhone 3G while I waited for the Bold to release. Now I use both my Bold and my iPhone 3G (as an MP3 player if my SIM is in the Bold) and couldn't be happier. At least until the Pluto comes out.
    01-21-09 03:35 PM
    I've got a Bold and an iphone and could not see going back to a non smartphone. In fact I think I will get the 8900 as a back up to insure If something were to happen to my Bold I would still be in good shape.
    01-22-09 07:35 AM
    There is no way in **** I would ever go back to a regular old flip phone. They can't do anything compared to a bb except text and call. I feel like I was deprived for the longest once I got my bb. I would NEVER go back!! BB is my soulphone mate!
    01-22-09 08:00 AM
    I did it. I went from an 8703, to an LG Envy for a little over 10 months. I did it to save money for my honeymoon.

I should have just married the 8703, because it was one of the hardest things I've had to do. You get so used to having all this functionality at your fingertips, it's really tough to go back to a regular phone. I rejoiced the day I sold my envy and picked up a pearl online.

Now my wife has caught the fever from using my pearl, and will be getting a Curve in a week.

A month and a half ago, we where a berry-less household, in a week, we will be a berry-full household.

Life is good.
    01-22-09 10:36 AM
    Never! Once you go Berry you never go Back!
    01-22-09 11:19 AM
    couldnt of said it better than texastrainer
    01-22-09 11:32 AM
    If I didn't have the money for data, I guess I could go back, as long as it had a qwerty keyboard. Because the reason I LOVE my bb all revolves around data. BBM, push email, internet (mostly CB) and so on. So, if I couldn't have those things, I could part with my curve. But I'd be a little lost.....
    01-22-09 12:04 PM
    i went from a 7290 to a SE K790 then curve then iphone now a bold.

i always come crawling back to a blackberry.
    01-22-09 12:18 PM
    Wow!.. I am in the same boat, coming from sprint I think I tried all of their phones had a new phone every 3-4 months.. Would always find an excuse of something each needed!!... For the first time in 5 years I've kept a phone longer than 5 months I even remembered my 1 year anniversary with my curve.. I think I even celebrated with dinner!. Haha.. Just kidding, but I remember telling every1 bout it. I recently became a housewife, and begged my husband to let me keep it.. I gave up all other luxuries for my loved curve.. ;-)

01-22-09 02:35 PM
103 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD