As the Slider 'picture' has slowly materialized with each new leak, I have found my self feeling less urgency or motivation to go through all the effort to install leaks, re-patch Android apps that stop working, and generally solve incompatibility issues they may be experiencing with their BB10 device.

For example, the other day I updated my bank's Android app through Snap. When I tried to open it back up, it asked for Google services and force closed. Instead of rushing to Cobalt's thread to remind myself how to patch the app,.. I kinda just shrugged it off thinking: 'I can live without it until the Slider comes'.

Same thing happened with my College sports app, it cried for Google Services. Again I shrugged it off, put down my Passport and grabbed my cheapo Win 10 tablet to watch the stream via a real browser.

So, as the long thread title (I'm pretty bad at titles) asks:

Does anyone else feel like they have just given up? Like if we're just in bare-maintenance ('putting up with it') mode until the Slider arrives?

Kinda sad,.. but if I, a mere user, feel this loss of motivation to invest a single extra minute into BB10. I can't imagine how BB10 native devs feel.

Posted via CB10
    Lost the motivation a long f'n time ago. BB10 native devs, they will be still be greatly appreciated, but only to those still using BB10. Slider users won't care in the least.
    09-21-15 11:23 AM
    Face it: if an app/lication refuses to run due to Google play services, and any device (not limited to BlackBerry 10 either) can't run it, I tend to shame the developer for choosing such a draconian dependency. The Bell "Fibe TV" app used to depend on it, and ever since they got **** for it, they released an updated version to remove it and now it works properly again. It's like the silverlight, or Xbox one or secuROM dependency: it is a big mistake. Not to mention google's "play" services does track what you're doing. So I want no parts of that on any of my devices.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    09-21-15 03:11 PM
    I have given up on the whole leaks business. There were too many of them and I just couldn't the SNAP app to work.

Honestly, this App business is a joke; how many different ways can someone design an App to tell me that it's going to rain. This is what the drones out there are wanking about. For the most part blackberry has decent native Apps (example TrackMyStuff), supported by the Amazon App store; where I can't get the App, I just go to my browser and log into the website (in desktop mode) and get it done that way.

I'm sad that Blackberry hasn't gotten their marketing **** in gear to show that this platform is freaking awesome. This platform was designed to get stuff done: HUB interfaced with the calender, contacts, and reminder (when you set the flags and priority in your HUB they show up in your Reminder under Tasks), all of this to help the user to organized.

I don't know where Blackberry is going but I do hope it makes it out alive with the consumer side still intact.

Z30STA100-5/OS Ver10.3.2.2339/ SR 10.3.2.2226
    And a simple link (as "app" icon?) will give you the exact same info at a glance. One tap away... :-)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-21-15 07:12 PM
    And a simple link (as "app" icon?) will give you the exact same info at a glance. One tap away... :-)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    I agree. It's funny, I would do just that if I couldn't get an App for banking, fitbit, MLS, etc. I always have my phone on desktop mode and most websites can use your GPS location to point you to the nearest bank location, as an example. My wife has an iPhone and she gets sent to mobile sites a lot, where as, I do not when in desktop mode.

It's far from perfect but I'm not hampered by this issue. I'll admit that Apps make it "easier" for certain things but the BlackBerry platform does a decent job in mitigating this situation by allowing desktop mode in the browser.

I suppose the issues come up where Apps are designed to cater to turning off lights and appliances in the home. This is where BlackBerry needs to get in on the action. QNX should be at the forefront of all of this.

Z30STA100-5/OS Ver10.3.2.2339/ SR 10.3.2.2226
    09-22-15 10:33 AM
    I stopped using the Amazon store and Android apps. I am sick of the battery drain because many don't close correctly. Even with the latest OS, they are still relatively slow. I no longer want Ghost Commander to be my most used app lol! I had not gone the whole sideloading route.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 06:38 PM
    Definitely feel this way.

I lost motivation quite awhile ago even before the announcement as my work phone is Android and any app I want I just use on there.

I am very excited for the slider and Android on BlackBerry as long as it has BlackBerry executive suite =)

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 07:01 PM
    I stopped using the Amazon store and Android apps. I am sick of the battery drain because many don't close correctly. Even with the latest OS, they are still relatively slow. I no longer want Ghost Commander to be my most used app lol! I had not gone the whole sideloading route.

Posted via CB10
    This one program called Awesome Launcher on BlackBerry world can easily be installed and then you can crash the android runtime, and stop any running Android apps immediately.

Launch it, refresh the apps listing, go to Dev Tools, Bad Behavior, Crash System Server. Done.
    09-22-15 08:03 PM
    This one program called Awesome Launcher on BlackBerry world can easily be installed and then you can crash the android runtime, and stop any running Android apps immediately.

Launch it, refresh the apps listing, go to Dev Tools, Bad Behavior, Crash System Server. Done.
    Where are Dev Tools? Don't see any options but two on bottom.

And now I have to force stop this app in Ghost Commander!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 08:37 PM
    Where are Dev Tools? Don't see any options but two on bottom.

And now I have to force stop this app in Ghost Commander!

Posted via CB10
    Directly linked images below explain.

BlackBerry world:

Icon on home screen:

Awesome Launcher running, refresh the app list!

Then, scroll down to "Dev Tools":

Select Bad Behavior:

Select Crash the System Server:

That's all there is to it.
    09-22-15 09:10 PM
    In all honesty, the main reason I use Blackberry is because of the hub & virtual kb. If we're going for get these with the slider, it's a step closer to running Android & ditching BBOS

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 09:19 PM
    In all honesty, the main reason I use Blackberry is because of the hub & virtual kb. If we're going for get these with the slider, it's a step closer to running Android & ditching BBOS

Posted via CB10
    When you mention BBOS, you're talking about legacy BlackBerry 7/7.1 or earlier. Bb10 is not going away anytime soon.
    09-22-15 09:27 PM
    I was talking about BB10. My fault.

It's not that BB10 is in danger of going anywhere. The issue is that many ported apps done work properly or don't work at all on the Blackberry 10 platform. It's frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 09:32 PM
    Perhaps I am not as motivated to get everything working as I once was is because though I loaded a ton of android apps it seems I really don't use them. The anticipation far outstrips the reality and for the most part I am pretty happy with what's available from BlackBerry World plus android apps not beholding to Google. There are so many of these such as Skype, Tune In, Kindle to name a few of them. So many of the apps ppl seem to want are simple the flavour of the month and will fade when the next hip app arrives for 15 minutes of fame.
    BB10 deserves so much more from the exposure that it will ever see.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 10:44 AM
    Never had that motivation in the first place tbh.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    09-23-15 11:00 AM
    I used to relish being the "insider" and knowing about side loading, boasting about running BlackBerry and Android apps, commenting a lot on CB, etc. I liked being the "rebel" with a BlackBerry. I think BB10 is awesome, but I am tired. I am tired of battery drain, work arounds, Android apps that don't run correctly or are annoyingly slow, needing to use things like Task Manager and Ghost Commander, getting bad directions when it seems to matter most from BlackBerry Maps, having to constantly post help questions on CB for things that really shouldn't be an issue, etc. Like many of you, I have a family, demanding job, and lots of responsibilities. I have less and less time for tinkering. I am getting tired of constantly figuring out things on my Q10. I shouldn't have to spend a morning a week force closing rogue apps that misbehave or half a day trying to sync our family's multiple Google shared calendars. I just want things to be available and work. I just want to be able to quickly check football scores with a reliable app or on a browser, but there are no more good sports apps and the redesigned ESPN (and CNN) websites freeze BB10 browsers. Yes, I know there are issues with other OS products, but I won't be using them cross-platform. Surrender flag may be out soon. Perhaps a Priv is in my future. . .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 09-25-15 at 07:57 PM.
    09-25-15 07:22 PM
    What happens if the slider doesn't get Google Play Services?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    If they have chrome running they got to have GPS

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 07:35 PM
    Can you get to Dev Tools to find misbehaving Android apps through the OS? Someone said they just get lumped under System in Monitor.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 02:58 PM
    I have not had the need to install leaks or do patches. I have the latest OS update. My banking app works fine, from Snap. And for other recreational activities, we have a cheap Android tablet.

My phone is a power communication tool. Emails, documents and on the go real life usage is its main function. I got the phone for its strengths, understanding that it is NOT an Android or iOS platform.

It's like we have an SUV for towing and family activities; and a zippy sports sedan for fun nights out on the town. I wouldn't expect the SUV to be sedan like and vice versa.

Posted via Classic
    Well said minus the car analogies.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 03:09 PM
    Turned Disk Cache off in Browser. ESPN working great now!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 08:38 PM
    Chen stated that the reason for the Priv is to close the "app gap." As he said, "It has Google." It is an Android phone and has to have Google Play Services.
    09-27-15 03:17 PM
    Chen stated that the reason for the Priv is to close the "app gap." As he said, "It has Google." It is an Android phone and has to have Google Play Services.
    Cracked me up when he said "it has Google.". Could have been a tad more specific.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 03:35 PM
96 ... 234