Maybe some light for you guys.
    Michael Fisher from Pocketnow did tweet this on friday:

I mean it's some advertising the channel he is reviewing for is well known and he has about 42,000 followers.
    Nope, it's not even a glimmer of light.

Even if every one of his followers bought a Priv, BB would still be 3M (give or take) devices short of profitability in hardware.
    04-12-16 02:23 AM
    Nope, it's not even a glimmer of light.

Even if every one of his followers bought a Priv, BB would still be 3M (give or take) devices short of profitability in hardware.
    Yeah, you are right - but I just wanted to throw in some positive vibes.
    04-12-16 12:21 PM
    Yeah, you are right - but I just wanted to throw in some positive vibes.
    Yeah, I know.

There isn't much good BB news around at the moment but, throwing (false) hope out there, and raising expectations ... when we both know it's baseless and will come to nothing, is ultimately crueller than sticking to reality.
    DrBoomBotz and TgeekB like this.
    04-12-16 01:28 PM
    So on the earning calls, Chen said
    The Foxconn built out classic and it’s a – from my limited experience in the last 2.5 years here has been extremely, extremely successful. In fact, people still want the classic.
    Now if we take what he said at face value (hard I know) - are Priv sales even more dismal than we think?
    04-12-16 01:33 PM
    So on the earning calls, Chen said

Now if we take what he said at face value (hard I know) - are Priv sales even more dismal than we think?
    I think so.

Taking what Chen said about Priv sales "being the bulk" of the device sales last quarter. And his obvious disappointment that he can't source parts to continue building the Classic which is clearly a big (in BB terms) hit, and that Chen has previously said (IIRC) that the Classic outsells the Passport 2:1 and that 9900 sales seem to continue regardless at sub-100k levels. It really doesn't look good for the Priv.

On top of that, Chen's recent ponderings that leading with the Priv was a mistake, and that it's price is too high to attract buyers seems to confirm that Priv sales were significantly less than "stellar"!

I'd be surprised if more than a third of device sales were Privs, and it could be as low as a quarter (assuming sales split between Priv, Classic, Passport, and B9900). So, somewhere between 150k and 200k Privs sold is my guestimate which doesn't even move the needle out of the "pitiful" zone.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-12-16 01:47 PM
    The other thing I guess we take from the dismal sales - We've come to the end of the "keyboard excuses"

"People want a keyboard"
    "people want a modern OS like BB10 with a Keyboard"
    "em.. people want an android device with a keyboard".

Different but clearly not a differentiator.
    crackfinder likes this.
    04-12-16 01:55 PM
    What's surprising... As soon as they jumped e shark to android... No one wants to buy any bb10 especially since there is no indication of what their plans are and frankly.. Consumers don't want blackberry androids.. They still lag on device specs.. Classic was to large.. Still no great full touch sleek phone.. And patchy android apps on bb10..

Rather then fix the os and app gap issue.. They jumped the shark with android and the hardware division is now dead..

So after waiting and waiting for gf to update her bold... We looked at a iphone6se... If only we could get a typo for it.. Or kijiji a cheap classic... No way in he l l would we buy a new bb device from them. I may get a 2nd q10 before they're hard to come buy,

Hugely disappointed what became of them under Chen.. I expected more.
    My BlackBerry Priv does not lag nor does it need the latest technical specifications to be useful.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    04-12-16 05:17 PM
    I think so.

Taking what Chen said about Priv sales "being the bulk" of the device sales last quarter. And his obvious disappointment that he can't source parts to continue building the Classic which is clearly a big (in BB terms) hit, and that Chen has previously said (IIRC) that the Classic outsells the Passport 2:1 and that 9900 sales seem to continue regardless at sub-100k levels. It really doesn't look good for the Priv.

On top of that, Chen's recent ponderings that leading with the Priv was a mistake, and that it's price is too high to attract buyers seems to confirm that Priv sales were significantly less than "stellar"!

I'd be surprised if more than a third of device sales were Privs, and it could be as low as a quarter (assuming sales split between Priv, Classic, Passport, and B9900). So, somewhere between 150k and 200k Privs sold is my guestimate which doesn't even move the needle Theout of the "pitiful" zone.
    I seem to recall that in a an earlier Q report Chen saying that they have sold their last new BBOS device. I think that some retailers in places like Nigeria have some old BBOS stock.

To me the bulk of device sales means more than 300,000. Many retailers in my area only display the PRIV as a working device.

I think that Chen will be happy if in combination all of the BB Android devices sell over a million devices per quarter.
    04-12-16 06:49 PM
    One thing to note is that there BlackBerry is not alone. There are other hardware OEM's in trouble. For example HTC

They make excellent phones, but are rapidly losing marketshare. This quote below says it all. So I'm not sure what BlackBerry could have done to have a different outcome. The link below is a good read

HTC 10 is a 'spot on' smartphone that won't save HTC | Computerworld

"On paper, HTC has the right strategy and the right products," Narcotta added. "The problem is that the premium Android space is toxic to nearly all Android manufacturers. Only the largest are able to endure there, and HTC is simply outgunned."
    04-12-16 07:05 PM
    One thing to note is that there BlackBerry is not alone. There are other hardware OEM's in trouble. For example HTC

They make excellent phones, but are rapidly losing marketshare. This quote below says it all. So I'm not sure what BlackBerry could have done to have a different outcome. The link below is a good read

HTC 10 is a 'spot on' smartphone that won't save HTC | Computerworld

"On paper, HTC has the right strategy and the right products," Narcotta added. "The problem is that the premium Android space is toxic to nearly all Android manufacturers. Only the largest are able to endure there, and HTC is simply outgunned."
    BlackBerry says that they can make a profit as a niche Android player however they need an all touch for their Enterprise customers. There is an opportunity in this market but they need to make a reliable reasonably priced phone. The PRIV does not appear to be fully baked.
    04-12-16 09:08 PM
    I seem to recall that in a an earlier Q report Chen saying that they have sold their last new BBOS device. I think that some retailers in places like Nigeria have some old BBOS stock.
    Not sure that's true. As of 6 months ago (the last time BB told us the info) BBOS sales were running at 100k/qtr. You can still buy a 9900 here in the UK off a carrier website IIRC recent posts here. So I doubt 9900 sales are zero.

To me the bulk of device sales means more than 300,000. Many retailers in my area only display the PRIV as a working device.
    Yes, I initially believed that Privs must account for 51% of device sales. It was pointed out that to be the "bulk" of sales it simply had to have the biggest percentage of all the devices on sale. So, the Priv could amount to just 26% of the total, with the rest being Classics, Passports & 9900's.

I think that Chen will be happy if in combination all of the BB Android devices sell over a million devices per quarter.
    I'm sure Chen would be happy with that too. Unfortunately we don't live in that reality.

There is only one BB Android device, the Priv. It sold, at best, 300k in a quarter. It's now 6-months old, so its sales prospects are likely to diminish. There are no other BB Android devices in existence, still less available for sale.
    04-13-16 02:05 AM
    The other issue is - after every bomb Chen has made the claim 'Enterprises said we liked X but we couldn't buy it for reason Y and need W' and then when W bombs, he just moves on...
    Ronindan and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-13-16 02:13 AM
    The other issue is - after every bomb Chen has made the claim 'Enterprises said we liked X but we couldn't buy it for reason Y and need W' and then when W bombs, he just moves on...
    I've often read here on the forums that "Chen is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks". I've always been reluctant to accept that because I always thought Chen was smarter than that, and had a definite plan.

I am now starting to wonder if those posters were correct and if there really is a master plan, or whether BB are simply reacting to events and clutching at one straw after another.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-13-16 02:39 AM
    I've often read here on the forums that "Chen is just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks". I've always been reluctant to accept that because I always thought Chen was smarter than that, and had a definite plan.

I am now starting to wonder if those posters were correct and if there really is a master plan, or whether BB are simply reacting to events and clutching at one straw after another.
    I don't have that opinion. Chen 's focus since his arrival has always been about growing BlackBerry 's software and services and its enterprise security division, with hardware having a reduced focus. From his actions as CEO, that appears to be the case, but many CB posters are just unable to accept that.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-13-16 03:08 AM
    The results today where what I expected based off of the Priv pricing and the feedback I have gotten from the T Mobile stores here in the USA I have been to.

Everyone of them had the shiny new Priv mixed in with last years devices and not one dam sign to let anyone know the device exists?

The device at 719.00 is way overpriced based on what current devices are available, I know about the security software and the PKB, but when your trying to rebuild you tarnished brand image, it just don't cut it.

Surprised, not in the least, they would have had a far better chance with the Priv priced at 569.00 to get folks to come back to the brand.

But who am I, just a savvy consumer who bases my high dollar purchases on being value added and looking at the S7 price compared to the Priv, the majority are going to buy the S7, I am surprised those marketing folks up there in Waterloo haven't figured that out yet? Oh well.
    Marketing folks?? Good one LOL

 вιaсĸвεггч� Passport SE SQW100-4 running 10.3.2.2876
    04-16-16 06:07 PM
    Yeah, I know.

There isn't much good BB news around at the moment but, throwing (false) hope out there, and raising expectations ... when we both know it's baseless and will come to nothing, is ultimately crueller than sticking to reality.
    Tell that to Thomas Edison & Co., we'd still be in a cave...
    Positive vibes get and keep stuff moving ...! :-)

(that "reality" thing doesn't motivate anyone, keeping spirits up is what gets change happening)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-17-16 04:17 PM
    He'd have to work with them more closely and get them to fill in and sign the order forms before handing device to manufacture! ;-D

04-17-16 04:19 PM
    Tell that to Thomas Edison & Co., we'd still be in a cave...
    Positive vibes get and keep stuff moving ...! :-)

(that "reality" thing doesn't motivate anyone, keeping spirits up is what gets change happening)

If I wanted uplifting fantasy, I'd watch Field of Dreams again.

If whistling in the dark is what keeps your spirits up, go for it... I've always preferred positive action and a realistic, achievable plan to turn on the light... as did Mr Edison.

There's a difference between imagining a better world, and creating a real-life plan to get there... and fantasy and make-believe.
    TgeekB, bakron1, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    04-17-16 04:26 PM
68 123