I've heard of this law that they're trying to pass starting april 2008, in which if you're caught using your cell phone while operating a vehicle, you'll get a ticket....

Has anyone heard about this? and if so, what is a good Blue tooth piece to buy to keep hands and ticket free?!
    03-26-08 09:15 AM
    most states have laws for calling on phones in a car, and using a hands free peice.

but not heard of any other law for texting or such....

what state?
    03-26-08 09:21 AM
    Big fine for using a phone without a handsfree whilst driving here...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-08 09:26 AM
    The Motorola Bluetooth pieces are pretty good
    03-26-08 09:32 AM
    This law has been in affect in NY for a couple of years now
    03-26-08 09:42 AM
    03-26-08 09:43 AM
    Thank you, very informative. In accordance with this link, in the state of NY you are not allowed to use your hand free device while driving. To my surprise!
    03-26-08 11:35 AM
    Thank you, very informative. In accordance with this link, in the state of NY you are not allowed to use your hand free device while driving. To my surprise!
    You read that wrong. In NY, you cannot use a "Hand-Held", but there is no total ban. This means YES you can use a "hands-free" setup.

It's just common sense, you need your hands to drive. But apparently, we think we should keep natural selection from "selecting" those drivers that know better, and so yet again, we mess up the gene pool. =)

Patrick
    03-26-08 11:44 AM
    You read that wrong. In NY, you cannot use a "Hand-Held", but there is no total ban. This means YES you can use a "hands-free" setup.

It's just common sense, you need your hands to drive. But apparently, we think we should keep natural selection from "selecting" those drivers that know better, and so yet again, we mess up the gene pool. =)

Patrick
    You are right!
    03-26-08 11:58 AM
    Jersery banned Texting as well
    03-26-08 01:46 PM
    Jersery banned Texting as well
    Virginia too.
    03-26-08 03:15 PM
    What state are you in? Here in NY they banned hand held use of cell phones while driving a while ago. Lucky for me I haven't gotten a ticket yet, but I don't think they take it that seriously, plenty cops have passed me yapping away, and did nothing (maybe because there on there cell phones themselves). lol.
    03-26-08 03:37 PM
    just this month it became a primary offense (you can be pulled over if caught using your phone( in new jersey to be caught using your phone (talking/texting). before that it was a secondary offense (they had to have another reason to pull you over, but then could ticket you for cell phone use). i know a lot of people getting pulled over, but it's still new and i'm sure it will die down. i just use speaker phone on my phone.
    03-26-08 06:42 PM
    California passed a law that will be in effect July 01 2008.

Ages 18+ can not use a cellphone while driving unless there is a hand free device being used.

Ages 18 under can't use a cell phone no matter what. Even if a hands free is being used.

New Cellular Phone Laws that Go Into Effect July 1, 2008
    03-26-08 07:22 PM
    Tennessee hasn't passed any laws on the matter (yet). TN does have a law stating it is illegal to drive while distracted, which can cover anything from putting on makeup, blow-drying your hair, changing clothes, arguing, or talking on a cell phone. I'm not sure what the fines are, but they have it covered with such a non-specific law.
    03-26-08 10:05 PM
    Get caught and see what your insurance goes up to in NY.
    IMHO anyone who drives and text need to be slapped.
    I have been at enough fatal accident scenes where phone use was a factor. I could just imagine what texting could cause.
    If it is that important pull to the curb and take care of business

03-26-08 10:09 PM
    As of this past month it's a primary offense, meaning they can now pull you over because you are on the phone.

Before you had to be stopped for something else to get a ticket for talking/texting.
    03-26-08 10:27 PM
    NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!
    well i invested in a BT so i'm good! now all i need is a speech to text program to text hands free
    03-26-08 10:29 PM
    What gets me is these states make these laws. The cops in force them but they don't abide by them I was in a place a couple weeks back where isrung a phone

03-27-08 07:53 PM
    In Victoria(Australia) you can only use the phone with a handsfree but must not touch anything so auto answer has to be on. texting is illegal.
    03-28-08 06:25 AM
    We do not have this rule in ak. It would make sense. Our roads are dangerous enough. I was in NM last year when their law went into effect. It made sense there because the drivers were more aggressive.

03-28-08 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD