Hi all,

I just flew back to my home and trying to connect my Bold to my home wifi. I'm using WPA2-PSK at home. When i tried to diagnose, I got the status: "IP address no longer valid" even when i set my router to dynamic IP. There are 3 green ticks in Association, Authentication and DHCP. When i did a Site Survey, i got back the wifi of my house.

FYI, there is no BB Data Service in my country and i currently have no SIM card in my Bold. Also, other devices in my house can use the wifi just fine.

Please help me to connect my Bold.
    Thanks all in adv.
    06-10-09 07:30 PM
    WIFI needs a BIS data plan to work and of course a sim card........ unless you just use the built in hotspot browser and not the blackberry or internet explorer or firefox.

I am guessing without a sim card hotspot browser may or should work.. try it out.
    06-10-09 09:01 PM
    WIFI needs a BIS data plan to work and of course a sim card........ unless you just use the built in hotspot browser and not the blackberry or internet explorer or firefox.

I am guessing without a sim card hotspot browser may or should work.. try it out.
    Thank for ur reply.
    However, it is not my browser only but i cannot connect to the wifi network at all. There is no green tick next to the Wifi in Connections.
    06-10-09 09:04 PM
    Reboot the router and your modem at same time, try and scan for wifi again after doing this.

And before doing this (wifi scan) delete the wifi info and then scan again, put your password and see if it connects, again HOTSPOT only will work this way without a BIS plan and sim card, but i am not 100% sure if a sim is required.
    06-10-09 09:11 PM
    Reboot the router and your modem at same time, try and scan for wifi again after doing this.

And before doing this (wifi scan) delete the wifi info and then scan again, put your password and see if it connects, again HOTSPOT only will work this way without a BIS plan and sim card, but i am not 100% sure if a sim is required.
    I have done this but still get "IP address no longer valid". Starting to wonder is there anything wrong with my router...
    06-11-09 10:09 PM
    I was under the impression that you need a plan to use wifi, no matter which browser you use. Could be wrong but that's what I thought. Please let us know your results.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 10:13 PM
    I was under the impression that you need a plan to use wifi, no matter which browser you use. Could be wrong but that's what I thought. Please let us know your results.

If this is true then that would be a BIG BIG BIG downside of BB.
    06-11-09 10:15 PM
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to find this out for sure, maybe make a call to AT&T. Can you imagine how much money the carriers would not rake in ($30 a month, more or less, from who knows how many customers) if they just let you buy a phone and use wifi without paying a monthly slug of cash? Just can't imagine they would do that. I'll post if I learn anything!

06-12-09 12:41 AM
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to find this out for sure, maybe make a call to AT&T. Can you imagine how much money the carriers would not rake in ($30 a month, more or less, from who knows how many customers) if they just let you buy a phone and use wifi without paying a monthly slug of cash? Just can't imagine they would do that. I'll post if I learn anything!

Many thanks for that. I'm still trying to figure it out somehow.
    06-12-09 05:03 AM
    Yeah my first indication in this thread was you don't require a data plan to use hotspot browser which uses WIFI only.

You may still need a "Voice Plan = a Sim Card" account with a carrier in order to activate WIFI on the phone, but not a data plan to just use WIFI with hotspot browser and if you get a Voice Plan to use BIS and not a data plan and decided to use any other browser except the built in hotspot browser, you will be billed a lot of money for browsing the internet as without a data plan the regular browser which always uses the carriers network.

So like i mentioned you may/probably/no doubt in my mind need a BIS account = Voice Plan even if you get the cheapest plan there is 15.00, 25.00 no data plan and then the phone is on their service to activate WIFI on the phone so you can use Hotspot Browser over WIFI .... just always remember what i stated earlier in this very post about using other browsers without a data plan.

So as with many mobile phones all carriers need the consumers to purchase a VOICE PLAN to activate the WIFI option.
    06-12-09 08:10 AM
    Wow, finally i figured out how to connect to my wifi.
    I have to turn the DATA SERVICE option in Mobile Network Option back on. I turned it off when i was in transit

Thank you all guys.

@skyjackal: So it appears to me that YES "you can buy a phone and use wifi without paying a monthly slug of cash".
    06-12-09 10:16 PM
    Great so no data plan, no sim card and no voice plan and you can use WIFI with hotspot browser (for browsing) only without having the above.

This is good to know and i am sure many others will love to read this.
    06-13-09 07:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD