It seems recently there have been a number of announcements in regards to new technologies for the BB's like flash and OpenGL support. BB's are now going to come packed with the ability to do what every other media phone can do.

So I guess this means we can taper off the whole "RIM is falling behind" threads that are popping up all over the place. You are all finally going to get your light saber and beer pouring apps to keep you amused on that long bus ride home in the evenings.
    11-10-09 10:12 AM
    Wow, I have just viewed Kevin's Adobe Flash Blog.

http://crackberry.com/video-demo-fla...ing-blackberry

Even I could do that. Sweet!
    11-10-09 10:14 AM
    Wow, I have just viewed Kevin's Adobe Flash Blog.

Video Demo: Flash Tools and Support Coming to BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

Even I could do that. Sweet!
    As much as I hate Flash I guess it will fill a need. I am really hoping HTML5 puts it in its grave though, it really has the potential to do that.

I hope RIM is working on a version of the browser to support it when it comes out.
    11-10-09 10:20 AM
    People won't stop whining until there's a phone that can read your mind.
    11-10-09 10:51 AM
    What is the time frame for the upgrades? Would they be possible on the bold?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 01:50 PM
    Still looking for the BB that works as a remote for the tv, dvd, lights, and definitely my truck!

11-10-09 01:50 PM
    The thing is RIM is playing catch up now. They laid around resting on their laurels while other manufactorers passed them by. The droid already does html5. I was a loyal 8330 curve user that loved the device however after spending 4 days with the droid I see how it out performs my old curve in every respect except for the lack of BBM which I seldom used anyways. Remember android is only a year old and with verizon and others jumping on the bandwagon I'm sure the platform is set to explode. RIM has wasted years while the android developers has passed them by with only one years work. Yes android and the moto droid has its quirks just like any other phone and OS but they have did an outstanding job in little time based on my experience. There's already a rumor that December 11th will be bringing updates to fix problems users are having atm. How long would it have taken RIM to do the same? It took them almost a year to get the storm working as it should have out of the box. I'm not trying to bash RIM and their OS here I'm simply stating the facts as I see them. Cheers.
    11-10-09 01:53 PM
    The thing is RIM is playing catch up now. They laid around resting on their laurels while other manufactorers passed them by. The droid already does html5. I was a loyal 8330 curve user that loved the device however after spending 4 days with the droid I see how it out performs my old curve in every respect except for the lack of BBM which I seldom used anyways. Remember android is only a year old and with verizon and others jumping on the bandwagon I'm sure the platform is set to explode. RIM has wasted years while the android developers has passed them by with only one years work. Yes android and the moto droid has its quirks just like any other phone and OS but they have did an outstanding job in little time based on my experience. There's already a rumor that December 11th will be bringing updates to fix problems users are having atm. How long would it have taken RIM to do the same? It took them almost a year to get the storm working as it should have out of the box. I'm not trying to bash RIM and their OS here I'm simply stating the facts as I see them. Cheers.
    Except for the fact that the Droid and every other phone on the market is light years behind RIM in security and other aspects.

It's a trade off, RIM decided to stay a bit behind in the flash and glitter and deliver a platform that's virtually bullet proof.
    11-10-09 01:55 PM
    Possibly so but that's a non issue for consumers. Business users have little choice. I'll take the flash and glitter with a useful browser
    11-10-09 01:57 PM
    Oh snap, I was trying to quote but guess they got pulled.
    11-10-09 02:01 PM
    What is openGL???
    11-10-09 02:04 PM
    Possibly so but that's a non issue for consumers. Business users have little choice. I'll take the flash and glitter with a useful browser
    You mean besides other benefits like being lightning fast for messaging? You can't have as many IM clients and other applications open and go between them as quickly as a BB can. There is more than just a browser on the phones out there these days.
    11-10-09 02:05 PM
    What is openGL???
    It's an API for 3D applications. It's a standard and more platforms use OpenGL than DirectX.
    11-10-09 02:06 PM
    Do you have a droid or experience with one? I ask because ims and other applications are just as fast as on my curve if not faster and everyone of them has a better interface. As for mail I only use gmail so can only speak for it but I get my mail just as quickly on the droid as I did on my curve. I'm sure other blackberry users with the new droid will back my statements up.
    11-10-09 02:10 PM
    RIM = secure
    other devices are not so secure..

also I have used a variety of smartphones out there. My basic experience is that blackberry doesnt do as much as a winmo or iphone. But the battery life on a BB is far superior to that of others.
    11-10-09 02:12 PM
    Do you have a droid or experience with one? I ask because ims and other applications are just as fast as on my curve if not faster and everyone of them has a better interface. As for mail I only use gmail so can only speak for it but I get my mail just as quickly on the droid as I did on my curve. I'm sure other blackberry users with the new droid will back my statements up.
    Not app speed itself, but multiple apps open and being able to switch between them all in less than a second if you have it set up right. And the ease of sharing data, but I think that one is becomming a non issue across all OS's except the iPhone.
    11-10-09 02:13 PM
    better late than never
    11-10-09 02:23 PM
    Believe me when I say this. People will still whine and complain. No matter what.
    11-10-09 02:25 PM
    Believe me when I say this. People will still whine and complain. No matter what.
    stooooopppp it..... i can do it my self.....

11-10-09 02:34 PM
    True story. As soon as Flash, openGL, etc... is rolled out, everyone will start crying about how crappy battery life is with the new additions.
    11-10-09 03:02 PM
    True story. As soon as Flash, openGL, etc... is rolled out, everyone will start crying about how crappy battery life is with the new additions.

Does bring a VERY good point to the table - with all the new goodies and new platform(s) it very much will drain the battery.
    11-10-09 03:15 PM
    I'll stop whining when the phone in my pocket can do those things. Right now all they have is vaporware. And while they're laying code to it, the competition is not going to be sitting still letting them catch up....

And regarding the comment about BB having "security". Uhhhh, the "security" it has that the competition doesn't is for features that pertain to enterprise use. The BB doesn't really have anything on the competition regarding "security" in a consumer (i.e. BIS) scenario.

For that matter, any scenario that has my data making an extra hop, through an extra server (i.e. routing through RIM's servers for no reason other than making sure RIM gets paid for all BlackBerry usage), is automatically less secure.
    11-10-09 03:36 PM
    I'll stop whining when the phone in my pocket can do those things. Right now all they have is vaporware. And while they're laying code to it, the competition is not going to be sitting still letting them catch up....

And regarding the comment about BB having "security". Uhhhh, the "security" it has that the competition doesn't is for features that pertain to enterprise use. The BB doesn't really have anything on the competition regarding "security" in a consumer (i.e. BIS) scenario.

For that matter, any scenario that has my data making an extra hop, through an extra server (i.e. routing through RIM's servers for no reason other than making sure RIM gets paid for all BlackBerry usage), is automatically less secure.
    You really have no clue about the level of security even for BIS users do you?

And it's not vapor ware, it's been demonstrated in the wild. That's beyond vaporware. I think most people have forgotten what RIM did during the economic downturn, they spent a lot of money and hired a lot of talent other people let go. including a key player or two from Apple.

I suspect there is stuff in the pipe no one knows about at all, including a complete browser and OS overhaul as they hired a lot of people with skill in those areas.
    11-10-09 03:48 PM
    Simple use of proxy servers is a security in itself...

But yeah, I think you have some unrealistic expectations considering how fast this stuff was moved on and are best suited to switch platforms ASAP...
    11-10-09 03:58 PM
    Except for the fact that the Droid and every other phone on the market is light years behind RIM in security and other aspects.

It's a trade off, RIM decided to stay a bit behind in the flash and glitter and deliver a platform that's virtually bullet proof.
    A lot of people make the mistake often claiming RIM has almighty security when they themselves own BIS phones, which have the same security as any other mobile phone. I hate when people ravde about the blackberry security with personal blackberries

11-10-09 04:05 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD