05-06-09 01:10 PM
- Ah the old greyed out WIFI again.
OK so I am posting on behalf of a friend he has the greyed out WIFI icon issue. OK the story is............
We both have an unlocked curve 8900, both on the same network, both on the same unlimited data tariff, both on the same .199 latest software, both identical handsets in every way.
My WIFI Icon is shiny white and connects to any router fully as soon as the network is set up, my friends is only ever greyed out, he has the white dash instead of the green tick.
As I understand it the handset is connected to the WIFI as the router name is on the blackberry home screen BUT the icon remains grey and does not go white like mine EVER.
We have turned the mobile network off and left it connected to the router, now this is where it gets strange, we went to youtube watched a video soley using wifi no problems , ebay mobile no problems. As soon as we tried any blackberry sites it would not use the WIFI connection and gave us the radio is turned off no signal error message even though we were connected to WIFI and had just been on youtube etc. My WIFI icon which is white allows me to go to any site using WIFI when the mobile signal is off.
We have tried.......
Numerous routers all same problem
Numerous router resets still same problem
Deleting the WIFI profile and re setting up many times
When the icon is grey I have ping'd the server we have an IP address but the icon is still greyed out...... Grrrrrrr!!
My questions aside from the obvious how does he get this fixed are, what does the grey and white WIFI logo actually mean ?
I have googled this lots and searched all the threads and there does not seen to be a definite solution people who resolved it say it just started working??
Does it take a while for it to "kick in" / establish a firm WIFI signal etc ??
Any help on this would be VERY much appreciated!!04-03-09 06:01 AM
- No there is not, just double checked, I flicked my DATA services to off just to test and the GPRS dropped to lower case as it would and the WIFI icon went grey. Upon turning DATA services back on my WIFI icon remained grey for 2 or 3 mins after my capital GPRS returned but it has just gone white again. I have told my mate to flick his DATA services off and on to try and get it to "refresh" and kick in but no good on his.04-03-09 06:32 AM
- The white icon means: fully connected wifi, UMA capable. The Grey is limited connectivity, whi
ch means some part of connectivity did not complete. How about doing a wipe and OS reload.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Last edited by Projectile; 04-03-09 at 07:07 AM.04-03-09 06:50 AM
- I was having similar problems. I was unable to keep a stable WIFI connection. I had adjusted the settings on my Linksys WRT54GS router to optimize UMA calling. And while the call clarity was drastically improved, I couldn't keep a stable WIFI connection. I saw a post about two days ago (...not even sure where) which mentioned going to Options->Advanced Options->Browser and setting the Default Browser Configuration to Hotspot Browser. I've had a much more stable WIFI (.,.and UMA) connection since. May or may not work, but it's worth a shot.
Last edited by Berrynuts; 04-03-09 at 07:13 AM.04-03-09 07:02 AM
- Thanks for all the replies, it seems after OS 174 OPTIONS - MOBILE NETWORK does not now lead to connection preferences. I have just rang him and we have tried setting the default browser to HOTSPOT browser, no good. We have also tried ANOTHER router re-set battery pull and a re-send of service books but nothing. 1 last thing we have tried is OPTIONS - ADVANCED - HOST ROUTING TABLE - HIGHLIGHT THE WI-FI 60 and hit register now, but still the icon remains grey LOL! Driving us nuts!! Thanks again for all the replies
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.04-03-09 09:31 AM
- 04-03-09 12:07 PM
- OK here it is, I have just come back from my friends house I put my sim in his phone and hey presto full connected bold white WIFI!!!
WTF!! As originally posted we are on same network same tariff same unlimited DATA same unlocked handsets, his sim = grey WIFI mine = white as it should be!!
We rang orange together the other day who as per usual were very little help, infact they told him to try the CB forums, now that we know its not a router or handset issue I have told him to call again, after the first time we are not holding out much hope but its a definite carrier issue.
Any more thought from anybody on this or what the issue is or what we need to ask his carrier to do to get this working??
Thanks all in advance!!
Thanks.04-04-09 08:38 AM
following this thread with interest as i am having simular problems:
my 8900 WiFi icon changes from White to grey frequently, i have to do a batt pull to resolve but his doesn't work every time, also my UMA Icon changes on its own to (uma ) in lowercase & not caps, again needs battpull but not every time.
also Gmail & BB IM can take upto 50mins before they hit my handset.
I have to admit i am totally confussed.04-05-09 10:10 AM
- How do you do this with the linskys?I was having similar problems. I was unable to keep a stable WIFI connection. I had adjusted the settings on my Linksys WRT54GS router to optimize UMA calling. And while the call clarity was drastically improved, I couldn't keep a stable WIFI connection. I saw a post about two days ago (...not even sure where) which mentioned going to Options->Advanced Options->Browser and setting the Default Browser Configuration to Hotspot Browser. I've had a much more stable WIFI (.,.and UMA) connection since. May or may not work, but it's worth a shot.04-05-09 10:37 AM
- I am running on OS- 184.108.40.206 if that helps, only had the handset for a few days so confident enough to upgrade just yet, also waiting to get used to all of the features before upgrading, unless you think it would be benificial to uprgade straight away???
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com04-05-09 01:15 PM
Completely stumped LOL! Well my mate's WIFI still will not show as connected, he has been on the phone to orange who are also at a loss (but that's not hard) , as my sim in his phone strangely worked they are sending him out a new sim, as a few on this thread have pointed out and as orange did also, the sim shouldn't make any difference as you do not need a sim to work the WIFI, BUT why then did my sim in his phone get the WIFI fully connected?? I am baffled.
To sum up and probably let this thread die, we have tried the following:
COUNTLESS ROUTER RESTARTS
COUNTLESS BATTERY PULLS
COUNTLESS DELETIONS AND RE SET UP OF HIS WIFI PROFILE
A TEST ON MY ROUTER AT HOME - NO GOOD
A WIPE OF THE OUT OF THE BOX OS .101 AND INSTALL OF .199
HIS SIM CARD REMOVED FOR A WIFI ONLY TEST
COUNTLESS RESEND SERVICE BOOKS
COUNTLESS "REGISTER NOW" ON HOST ROUTING TABLE
MY SIM IN HIS PHONE (AS I SAY GOT A FULL WIFI CONNECTION WITH THIS)
CALLING ORANGE (LAST RESORT) 3 TIMES
MAKING HOTSPOT BROWSER DEFAULT
And probably a few other things listed in the thread I can't recall.
As I mention in the thread we have same handset network tariff same everything and my WIFI works fine his just will not come off the grey WIFI icon unticked.
Before this thread dies a slow death if anybody else has any suggestions please let us know, thanks for all your replies, right I am off to play on my WIFI now (Sorry mate )04-06-09 12:45 AM
- The green checkmark you guys are talking about is an indication that WiFi is working and also connected to UMA. dannieloco in your case, you will not get the green check mark because you do not have a data plan and thus can not use all of the features of UMA. The green check mark indicates that you can get your emails, use BBM, etc over WiFi via UMA. At most without a data plan you will only have the ability to make calls via UMA.
Check this out for questions about UMA: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/uma-174356/04-06-09 01:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD