I always noticed that android phones always had the fastest clocked cpu's and also the most cores. The international S4 has 8 for crying out loud. However iphones always had much slower processors and less cores but on sunspider tests outscore the android competition since they always come with amazing gpu's. When you look at the way ios performs it just seems more smooth and buttery than android, even though android is not laggy by any means, but ios seems to have that liquid factor to it with its animations. Now I know apples hardware and software are optimized similar to BlackBerry but is it the gpu that is making the big difference?

So how does this tie into bb? Well I noticed many people were disappointed by the fact the Z30 was rumored to only have a dual core cpu, but I noticed no one really put much thought into the quad core gpu it is supposed to have. So my question is, in terms in terms of what the consumer actually sees on the display, is gpu much more important? And will the Z30 be similar to iPhone in the sense it seems under speced, but in reality will be just as fast as the android competition?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 05:14 PM
    That's an excellent question. I was wondering the exact same thing. Hopefully someone with the knowledge of such matters can answer.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 05:18 PM
    They're equally important. Sunspider has nothing to do with the GPU though. You're judging processor speed based solely on clock speed which is only a fraction of the equation. Architecture is equally important, in which case Apple has lately been ahead of the field since they design and manufacture their own SoCs.
    09-17-13 05:19 PM
    They're equally important. Sunspider has nothing to do with the GPU though. You're judging processor speed based solely on clock speed which is only a fraction of the equation. Architecture is equally important, in which case Apple has lately been ahead of the field since they design and manufacture their own SoCs.
    Yes I'm not expert in this so excuse my ignorance for the following.

Isn't the main different architecture 32 and 64 bit?

What is the other half of the equation besides clock speed?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 05:47 PM
    Simply speaking you can pass almost all graphic processing to GPU (using OpenGL). In this case CPU is not loaded with the heavy graphics processing. This is done also on Android starting from 4 (or 4.1 ?).
    This what is going with BB Android runtime also.

EDIT: The main issue with graphics is manipulating large amount of data. Actually for any graphics to work there is screen redraw at least 30 times a second. If CPU is doing this, it will need to manipulate 1280x720x4= 3.15 MB of data each 3 milliseconds. GPU handles this in much more efficient way, by working directly with buffers to be displayed.
    09-17-13 06:23 PM
    I'm curious about the GPU too. At the same time does anyone know what other phones have quad core GPUs as well which the rumored z30 is said to carry? Do all the new "flagship" phones in the market have them now?

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    09-17-13 06:39 PM
    I suggest to check:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...-named-836001/

And check that Wikipedia page which also lists phones using the chipset.
    09-17-13 06:51 PM