Anyone tried this app? Gonna download and play with it.

GPSLogger - a Free BlackBerry App to Track your Movement | CrackBerry.com
    06-03-09 07:43 AM
    I use it and love it.
    06-03-09 09:30 AM
    D/L yesterday. Somehow the compass will not work for me, but I haven't used it enough to bother with a workaround yet. The GPS lock seems to jump around quite a bit, so far I have travelled 200 ft, without leaving my desk.
    06-03-09 09:32 AM
    D/L yesterday. Somehow the compass will not work for me, but I haven't used it enough to bother with a workaround yet. The GPS lock seems to jump around quite a bit, so far I have travelled 200 ft, without leaving my desk.
    did that with me too...i deleted it this morning.
    06-03-09 10:12 AM
    Actually, a great application to create tracks of hikes, bike rides and x-country ski trips. It is quite accurate. I have not played with the new compass.

As for "MOVING" while seated, all gps units do that including very expensive ones. Also, compasses on gps units need movement to know which direction is north, etc. So, again, sitting around will not provide much information of value.

When I've sent the track to my computer and used GoogleEarth to show the hike or bike ride, it is pretty much directly on the trail or road system I've used. Similarly, if I send a Garmin track to my garmin software, it shows a very accurate route.
    06-03-09 02:27 PM
    I got it two days ago and so far as mentioned before I traveled a lot just by sitting in one position. It is strange that it moves....and it moves a lot. OK, I understand moving some 5meters....but not 50meters.
    Also my compas was changing the direction. Maybe instead of pointing the north he was turning when air was blowing )))

Next week I am going mountainbiking and will track the movement. We'll see the precision when I export the KML and load it on google

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 12:08 PM
    I installed GPSED in my Storm and its working pretty well. In my tests I haven't seen myself moving when sitting still like mentioned above. I did see some odd plots in a recent bike ride on the canal (see the link below), but other than those its was pretty accurate from the MP3 pocket on my Mule.

riding the canal | Author Bgredjeep | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service
    06-12-09 01:39 PM
    I installed GPSLogger after seeing this to try it out. It is missing a few features of GPSed that I mentioned before, but I like it overall. I think the tracking points are more accurate and more consistent (with the configurable logging interval) than GPSED. I didn't have any issues on my last ride with stray points being plotted and the route layed over google earth looks dead on. I just installed the new update so we'll see if it keeps getting better.

06-19-09 01:23 PM
    I am using GPSLogger for my hiking and climbing trips and it absolutely works great! The dev team are regularly adding features and fixing bugs. Kudos to them for providing such a useful app. And of course at bets possible price. Its FREE.
    Compass works fine too. But as mentioned in comment by F2 above, any GPS based compass works based on movement. Perhaps that's why new iPhone comes with built-in digital compass to serve compass needs while stationary.
    06-20-09 03:06 AM
    I installed GPSLogger after seeing this to try it out. It is missing a few features of GPSed that I mentioned before, but I like it overall. I think the tracking points are more accurate and more consistent (with the configurable logging interval) than GPSED. I didn't have any issues on my last ride with stray points being plotted and the route layed over google earth looks dead on. I just installed the new update so we'll see if it keeps getting better.

How the heck to you export the file after you stop logging your trip?
    06-22-09 09:55 AM
    I went into the options and set the save location for the track files. It lets you set the file location for exports (for the google maps format) as well so I set them both to the same. From there I was able to open the file in Google maps by just browsing that save location on my PC and double clicking the file.
    06-22-09 03:16 PM
    Is anyone still using this app? I noticed the last review was in 6/99. Has any improvements been made since then?

Thanks,

Jim
    09-12-10 08:49 AM
    Hard to say what improvements have been made since I really did not worry about them - just incrementally upgraded. Compass screen maybe since then. Additional logging options. I still use it so I'm happily unconscious of the changes.
    09-23-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD