I downloaded GPSed this afternoon then went outside to try it out. Everything worked except the compass/direction mode (whatever they call it) always showed me going north. I did walk around, speed and altitude seemed correct.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    John
    12-26-08 08:18 AM
    Does the compass/direction work fine in other apps?
    12-26-08 10:14 AM
    As you maybe know, it's not a true compass. I've found with most programs you have to walk awhile until it gives you the correct direction on the compass.
    12-26-08 12:32 PM
    Thanks for the replies, this is the only app I have that the compass should work on. I walked for probably 200 ft. with absolutely no action from the indicator. As I said the speed and altitude seemed right. If it isn't raining I'll try again tomorrow.

John
    12-26-08 01:17 PM
    As you maybe know, it's not a true compass. I've found with most programs you have to walk awhile until it gives you the correct direction on the compass.
    Yea, but it shouldn't always point north, that seems to be to be either an app or OS bug, and if it works in other apps, then it's an app bug, otherwise it's an OS bug
    12-26-08 10:23 PM
    Got it, had to name and start a track. Can't just walk around with it. Seems like an app change is in order.

John
    12-27-08 02:37 PM
    Got it, had to name and start a track. Can't just walk around with it. Seems like an app change is in order.
    How annoying...
    12-27-08 05:27 PM
    using gps, the "compass" is in fact a bearing between adjacent relative positions.. ie, it looks at sequential position reports a and b and plots the line from a-b, and assumes that while at b you are always pointing in the same direction.

Given that gps is not specified to be accurate within a 300ft area, and that most map programs are designed for auto-routing and hence would not update the gps position as fast as a dedicated unit, if you want to see an indication while walking, i would suggest going at least 100yds+ before condemning the application.
    01-03-09 11:15 AM
    I think this is the best solution to contact GPSed support team
    support@gpsed.com
    They usually reply in details
    01-20-09 04:31 AM
    Sometimes when I exit the app on my Bold it freezes. I hope they fix this soon.
    01-26-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD