So every app I have that uses GPS - MapQuest, Yellow Pages, Yelp, Weather, movies, etc - to find my "current location" will always search for me and then say that the GPS was unable to connect. So no matter what app I'm in, I always have to enter the zip code where I'm at. Is there a "GPS on" switch or setting I need to do for that to work? Or does the GPS locator on the BB just not work that great? I never had that problem with apps on the iPhone when I had that ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 07:45 AM
    Are you outside with a clear view of the sky?

For GPS settings go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services set to Location ON and Location Aiding set to Enabled.
    06-16-10 08:35 AM
    lol I really have to be outside looking at the sky for it to work? Talk about a weak signal ... I'm very slowly starting to miss the iPhone because of little things like that. It didn't matter if I was in building or a car or anywhere - the GPS locator would find me in seconds, I can never get it to work with BB.
    06-16-10 04:41 PM
    So far I have only had a problem with one app not working with GPS. Googgle maps worked fine when a nav program could not get a GPS signal, and later found out the service the app used was down.

During that time I tried Telenav and a couple geocaching programs and they all worked.

But do make sure the GPS is turned on, on the device.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 06-17-10 at 12:47 PM.
    06-16-10 06:35 PM
    lol I really have to be outside looking at the sky for it to work? Talk about a weak signal ... I'm very slowly starting to miss the iPhone because of little things like that. It didn't matter if I was in building or a car or anywhere - the GPS locator would find me in seconds, I can never get it to work with BB.
    You really have no understanding of how GPS works. Sell your BlackBerry and get an iPhone 4 next Thursday.
    06-17-10 12:00 PM
    You really have no understanding of how GPS works. Sell your BlackBerry and get an iPhone 4 next Thursday.
    I guess not ... I always understood it to work by finding your location, routing you, helping you get around where you're at ... Guess I approached GPS with the wrong presuppositions then ...
    06-18-10 04:04 AM
    GPS navigation works by receiving radio signal from a handful of a couple dozen satellites in near-Earth orbit. The receiver derives a likely location point using some boring multidimensional formulae. Reception is very easily blocked. Even mere atmospheric interference fudges your location.
    06-18-10 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD