Hi F2, I just confirmed that if you change the atributes on the MGMapsCache folder to hidden, then, you will be able to see all your media files in their proper media player category. I know it takes a long time, to change the atributes on all the files, and to copy them, but you can always let it run overnight.
    Actually, my mp3 files are showing when using YOUR mapcache - probably, a **** of lot less files. I have a feeling too many files (that I created) overwhelm the indexing system (I wonder if the BB knows all of those map files are actually PNG image files)

Do you just change the FOLDER to HIDDEN or each and every file? Or does changing the folder to hidden automatically propagate.....

I will get to your second posting in the a.m. but I did plug in the BB for charging so did a quick Properties - it is formatted Fat32.
    03-24-09 12:27 AM
    No, I changed the atribs to every single file, not just the folder. This step actually takes a long time

I think the reason media files are not showing up if you don't hide the maps, is because there are simply too many files present, and it gets overwhelmed. I think that's what you're saying too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 09:40 AM
    Hi, thanks sonni_kuba for the instructions and help... i actually got it working the first try and i'm more than happy with the results..
    i have a question though...if i were to update the firmware will the MGMapsCache folder be wiped? so i would have to copy it over again (it's timely =_=)?

I have the folder in the most root directory in with the Blackberry folder...
    has anyone tried and found out??
    the rest of the media stays so i'm just guessing the maps will stay as well..
    03-24-09 10:33 PM
    Good to hear that you get it working icedsake, enjoy your free GPS
    No worries, your maps, and anything on your MicroSD card will be untouched when you update

03-25-09 12:11 AM
    So my 16 gig sd card is in the mail. How much space would this take up to dl all the maps?

p.s. Im also very new to this and BB as a whole. So Ive been reading like no tomorrow but I def want GPS.
    03-25-09 12:46 PM
    Are you able to use MGMaps to search a location? I've been trying but it just spits out an error. I have all the maps I downloaded and just wanted to see if it would find a address on a local map I have. Also it doesn't continuously track me. once I get a signal lock it stays static until I get the gps to track again.
    03-25-09 03:39 PM
    [QUOTEAre you able to use MGMaps to search a location? I've been trying but it just spits out an error.[/QUOTE]

For this functionality, you have to setup an offline search database. Check the MGMaps forum for information, I've never had the time to follow-up on this feature.

Also it doesn't continuously track me. once I get a signal lock it stays static until I get the gps to track again.
    Here's what to do ...

Menu - Settings - GPS - Start GPS Navigation

then

Menu - Settings - GPS - Mobile Tracking ON

then

Menu - Settings - GPS - Setup - Mobile Tracking - (make sure the Move Map check mark box is ticked on)

Now ... you should have MGMaps follow your progress
    03-25-09 09:43 PM
    sonni_kuba, I followed all those steps but it still does not refresh my position or move my marker; when I press "where am I" it refreshes right away
    Unsure of what to do next; do I need to have a larger zoom level on my maps (currently it's set to within 30m I believe) - or do I perhaps need to make "mobile tracking" last longer (instead of 3sec, make it longer)?

03-26-09 05:26 PM
    sonni_kuba, I followed all those steps but it still does not refresh my position or move my marker; when I press "where am I" it refreshes right away
    Unsure of what to do next;
    The only thing that I would recommend is that you make sure that your mobile tracking options are actually being saved. MGMaps sometimes has problems to save. So, another option would be to exit via the Menu,

Menu - Exit (and confirm that you want to save changes)

Unsure of what to do next; do I need to have a larger zoom level on my maps (currently it's set to within 30m I believe) - or do I perhaps need to make "mobile tracking" last longer (instead of 3sec, make it longer)?
    No, zoom level, should not have anything to do with your mobile tracking configuration. The 3 sec value you are referring to is the refresh cycle, that is how many seconds elapse, between location updates. If anything, you may want to trim it down to 2 secs.
    03-26-09 09:33 PM
    Hello, it looks as though sonni_kuba is the foremost expert on the mgmap program on the BB. I've been reading and reading all the posts on this subject and I cant find the answers to my questions.
    Here we go, first of all I have a 8900 without a data plan and I downloaded ota v1.39.18 and went through desktop manager and upload the axl file. I did not load the cod file because it didn't show when I browsed for it. I followed all your steps on how to make maps and load them. I have the map application on my phone and I can see the maps.
    My problem is that I cant find where I am, it gives me an error. The gps works on the phone when I look under gps under advance options and refresh it but when I go under mgmaps the gps cant find it. does this program track or find you without a data plan? I changed the location aiding to disabled, gps data source to device gps,and gps service to location on. On applications I made mgmaps application to allow everything. Under mgmaps I changed in settings->map browsing->all allowed. settings->gps setup->selected device->internal and assisted gps. settings->gps->mobile tracking->all checked except 5hz refresh. everything else I left alone.

I guess I wonder if its possible to track your position, make a route to follow, or figure out how to get somewhere. All i have now are maps that I can go over and zoom in and out of. If it is possible to do any of these things please let me know how. Thanks
    04-01-09 10:53 PM
    Hi bisache,

does this program track or find you without a data plan?
    As you can tell by the title of this thread, MGMaps works in offline mode, without a data plan, but you need to create and save your own maps.

Alternatively, if you are in a wifi zone, then, you can use your wifi connection to use it and download maps from either yahoo or MS live.

I guess I wonder if its possible to track your position
    Yes, yes, yes, check out this reply for some troubleshooting tips.

Here's what to do ...

Menu - Settings - GPS - Start GPS Navigation

then

Menu - Settings - GPS - Mobile Tracking ON

then

Menu - Settings - GPS - Setup - Mobile Tracking - (make sure the Move Map check mark box is ticked on)
    04-02-09 10:12 PM
    I have all that stuff done and still the same. what do the axl and cod files do? I was able to load the axl file through desktop messenger but the cod file would not show up when I browsed, so it hasn't been added. where do you add it? mgmapcache file?
    one other thing when I read your instructions to rename the mymap.map file when down making the map to be within quotes, how do you. My computer says you cant use " symbols when naming a file.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bisache; 04-03-09 at 11:58 AM.
    04-03-09 11:53 AM
    DM uses the alx file (english txt file) to load the cod file. You merely have to point to the alx file and dm should then be allowed to move on to loading the app. Click on the alx file and press OPEN or double-click it. You should see some activity. You will be back to the main apploader screen. You should click next and it will say it will load the cod file. NEXT to actually load it.

Whereever you place the cache maps, that is the entire folder to copy to your sd card. I believe you then tell mgmaps where to find it.
    04-03-09 05:53 PM
    Hi guys,

It's great to see this!
    I just got my bb 8900. 3 days ago. I don't have the data plan. I read alll 6 pages of this thread.

i dont know a lot about computer so I am a bit confuse. can some one give me a step by step instruction? lay-man terms!
    How do you make your own map?
    I only want maps for california and nevada (las vegas) is proabably the most i will ever use.

I will attempt to follow some of the instruction earlier in the thread some maybe a few hints or tips to get me off to a good start?
    thanks !!!!!
    04-03-09 09:16 PM
    sonni-kuba's instructions are pretty spot on. I did have trouble with the size/number of files created so I may have selected too large an area. I'd suggest trying a wide-angle (low zoom) series for CA, or maybe even just half. Then maybe a closer in of a city in that area.

You can COPY the folder to an SD card and leave the original intact on your computer. If the SD selection appears to work and does not overwhelm, you can go back and add the other half or more zoom levels to the original download folder - it will ADD to the files there and not override them, I believe. Then move the entire folder again to the SD card overriding the one on the card so all maps are again included.

And if I'm all wet, sonni will set it straight, I'm sure.
    04-03-09 11:23 PM
    And if I'm all wet, sonni will set it straight, I'm sure.
    Not at all, you are right on. I am glad that someone understands my poorly articulated instructions

You can COPY the folder to an SD card and leave the original intact on your computer.
    BTW ... great idea to leave the 'master' MGMapsCache folder on the PC and add to it gradually. There is no reason to download 4GB of maps, only to find, that you can't get it working.

To make sure you get everything working well, download a simple map of your area (i.e. zoom level 7-8) and test it out. If everything works beautifully, then continue adding higher zoom levels (i.e. 14-16).

I will attempt to follow some of the instruction earlier in the thread some maybe a few hints or tips to get me off to a good start?
    Sure, just follow the guide written right here, it will set you off to a good start.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...t-data-147262/

Don't trouble yourself too much that it mentions the BOLD, there are literally no differences between the 8900 and the BOLD, as far as MGMaps is concerned.
    04-04-09 01:24 AM
    I have a BB8830 on Bell with a 2GB MicroSD card that stores music, pictures, etc.

Will it work on a v4.2.2.196 (Platform 3.0.0.81) with a Bell Canada, business account 8830? Am I limited to a 2GB card or does this now support higher than 2GB?
    04-06-09 11:19 AM
    I don't see why not. If you can go into Options - Advanced Options - GPS - Refresh GPS ... and get an update on your location, then it should work.

Why don't you try and let us know?
    04-06-09 05:23 PM
    I made the mistake of starting out by downloading all of North America. Its been over 24 hours now ands its going. I hope it works.

I have gmaps 3.02 installed and I could not find the module permissions to deny.

04-06-09 08:18 PM
    Here's another way to get free GPS without a data plan.

It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions for MGMAps. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

6) Wait for the download to finish (this will take a long time)

How long is long, cuz I see 3 progress bars & its been "Computing map" for ATLEAST 3 hours now. Is this normal or did I somehow screw up this blatantly straight forward instruction??? :-/

P.S. Hope you didnt mind me choppin up ur quote. It had links in it & as a newbie I cant post msgs with links =)
    04-06-09 11:14 PM
    Once the progress bars hit 100% you're done. Just close down gMapmaker, you're OK
    04-06-09 11:37 PM
    So after all of that, I gave up

Just realized that I only have 1GB so I need to change out my SD before I can do this.

Thanks for the help tho!!
    04-07-09 03:14 AM
    Can anyone post a map file containing the entire world at 0-6? I can't make one for some reason (can't select the entire earth)
    04-07-09 10:25 AM
    DM uses the alx file (english txt file) to load the cod file. You merely have to point to the alx file and dm should then be allowed to move on to loading the app. Click on the alx file and press OPEN or double-click it. You should see some activity. You will be back to the main apploader screen. You should click next and it will say it will load the cod file. NEXT to actually load it.

Whereever you place the cache maps, that is the entire folder to copy to your sd card. I believe you then tell mgmaps where to find it.
    This is what did it for me, thanks for the info. I had a unsigned version that I did ota. Is there a page that has all the best setting to use with mgmaps or in depth manual for all the things you can do? The one problem I have is when I designated 2 points (one "home" and the other the place I want to go to) it gets stuck in that menu. I'm doing this in the favorite menu and hitting the menu key to go to and from. I'll look through the past threads, thanks again for the help.
    04-07-09 01:08 PM
    Sonni-kuba:

Another (in an endless?) series of questions....

Rather than mess up any particular cache folder or overwhelm my system, I have been downloading separate "sets" - I did Paris at 15 zoom and saved that in a paris cache folder. I'm now doing Austria-Italy at various zoom rates but saving each into its own cache folder.

Now the BUT... if I want to combine them into one overall folder what happens to the various and now SEPARATE CACHE.CONF files. Is there a controlling one or will what I do NOT work.
    04-08-09 08:16 PM
284 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD