Hi there,
    I may be going on a flight soon from EGLL (LHR) to KLAX (LAX) with British Airways. I was wondering if GPS Logger II would be able to track my progress, since I'm educated that it relies entirely on satellites and not carrier signal. I've heard that people have used their car GPS devices such as TomToms and they say it works, though when I did a trip from EGLL to KLAX in September of 2010, my friend's iPhone 4 wasn't able to track us after reaching a certain altitude. He was using MotionX-GPS.

Thanks for any insight.
    06-26-11 12:49 PM
    I believe as long as you turn a-gps off you should be able to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 11:59 PM
    I've tried using my Blackberry's GPS inside airplanes during flight before (with all wireless radios turned off of course) and it's only managed to pick up one satellite but never really a solid lock.
    07-25-11 12:03 AM
    Make sure that you are right by a window during the flight.
    07-25-11 05:28 AM
    Is this one of those things airlines don't want you to do or is it OK?

TIA
    07-25-11 07:51 PM
    Is this one of those things airlines don't want you to do or is it OK?

TIA
    GPS radio waves come from outer space go through an aircraft anyways, all you're doing is just receiving them
    07-25-11 07:52 PM
    GPS radio waves come from outer space go through an aircraft anyways, all you're doing is just receiving them
    Got it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Good Luck
    07-25-11 07:58 PM
    Despite that "fact", airlines still have the authority to restrict the use of any electronic devices in flight.

Here's a comprehensive list, although Joe hasn't updated in since last year.

Airlines which APPROVE/DISPROVE GPS use in Flight

But it's always a good idea to check with the flight crew first.
    07-25-11 08:21 PM
    Usually the captain/flight crew will notify you when it is ok to use such devices during flight, and when to turn them off.
    07-25-11 08:33 PM
    Usually the captain/flight crew will notify you when it is ok to use such devices during flight, and when to turn them off.
    `This is standard procedure to let you know what you may use and when'
    08-15-11 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD