First off, let me say this phone is amazing! best phone I've ever had and I love it!

I am having trouble though with the GPS on google maps. It shows "my location" as in LA, even though I live near the coast. I turned off "my location" and turned it back on and still have the same problem. (I also can't figure out how to just turn off google maps, anyone know how?)

Also, when I go to m.google.com it says my browser is incompatible and I cant DL google apps.

Thanks a lot if anyone can help!
    07-13-09 01:06 PM
    Anyone have any ideas?
    07-13-09 01:38 PM
    I can vouch for the terrible GPS location. I am sitting in my living room and it says I am 6 blocks north. Never did that with my 8830.
    07-13-09 01:40 PM
    I can vouch for the terrible GPS location. I am sitting in my living room and it says I am 6 blocks north. Never did that with my 8830.
    GPS depends on satellite reception for accuracy. Inside a building or house will have an effect on accuracy.
    07-13-09 01:49 PM
    Also the default setting for GPS on the Tour are E911 Only. You need to go into Options/Advanced Options/GPS and change your settings to:

GPS Services: Location On
    Location Aiding: Enabled

If you dont, then all you are getting is tower triangulation.
    07-13-09 01:51 PM
    I am able to get google maps to get my location within 8 meters and I am in my apartment. very nice, only thing is that I have the blue dot and the zoom in and out on the screen but can't do anything with them, because its not touch screen. Not sure if google thinks the phone is a touch screen because it has 4.7 on it.
    07-13-09 02:45 PM
    Not sure if google thinks the phone is a touch screen because it has 4.7 on it.
    I believe you are right.... I think Google Maps thinks its installed on a Storm.
    07-13-09 02:48 PM
    I am able to get google maps to get my location within 8 meters and I am in my apartment. very nice, only thing is that I have the blue dot and the zoom in and out on the screen but can't do anything with them, because its not touch screen. Not sure if google thinks the phone is a touch screen because it has 4.7 on it.
    Not sure if this will work but the Storm always had issues with Compatability Mode. Click on Options<Advanced Options<Applications, highlight Google Maps and click the menu button and see if Compatability Mode is listed, if it is try toggling it off and on. Let me know if it works, I dont have a Tour to check it myself.
    07-13-09 02:53 PM
    Instead of selecting the dot like it was a touch screen, press the menu key(the blackberry button, to the left of the trackball). This will give you the options you're looking for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 02:55 PM
    Hitting the I and O keys will also zoom in and out, respectively.
    07-13-09 02:57 PM
    only thing is that I have the blue dot and the zoom in and out on the screen but can't do anything with them, because its not touch screen.
    You can use the - and + symbols on the keypad for zoom in and out.....Not sure if this is what you are talking about or not?

Michael
    Not sure if this will work but the Storm always had issues with Compatability Mode. Click on Options<Advanced Options<Applications, highlight Google Maps and click the menu button and see if Compatability Mode is listed, if it is try toggling it off and on. Let me know if it works, I dont have a Tour to check it myself.
    Nope.... thanks for suggesting.
    If the tour is like the 8830 then you are not getting the gps location you are getting a triangulation from the towers. verizon blocked the gps communication to 3rd party apps. check with the blackberry maps I bet it is right on....
    Use "1" to zoom out, "3" to zoom in and "0" to center on the dot.
    07-13-09 02:58 PM
    the letter "i" zooms in

the letter "o" zooms out

the number "0" re-centers your location
    07-13-09 02:59 PM
    You may have to wait for a new build if it isnt fully functional on the Tour.
    07-13-09 02:59 PM
    Was having this problem on the Curve too. Just got done installing Gmaps on my phone and yup....Im apparantly in the middle of the Hudson when my Door man at the office ensures me that I'm on Wall St...Who to believe?

lol Anyone know how to fix this?
    07-13-09 03:03 PM
    a friend at work had the same problem today at work on his storm. I removed google maps and downloaded it again and it still didnt work even after a battery pull. His was pretty bad off too. I wonder if it has something to do with google
    07-13-09 03:04 PM
    no google maps does not work with the internal gps of the blackberry.
    07-13-09 03:08 PM
    no google maps does not work with the internal gps of the blackberry.
    Yes it does.
    07-13-09 03:09 PM
    it doesnt on the 8830 with verizon
    07-13-09 03:10 PM
    the letter "i" zooms in

the letter "o" zooms out

the number "0" re-centers your location
    They work. What is missing is the Help in Google Maps doesnt list the keyboard shortcuts... it only mentions to press the onscreen plus or minus icons. Which makes one think that Google Maps thinks its installed on a Storm? Weird.
    07-13-09 03:11 PM
    check the forum apparently verizon disabled it...
    07-13-09 03:11 PM
    it doesnt on the 8830 with verizon
    I dont have the 8830. Does it even have GPS? If it does, is it unlocked to 3rd party apps?
    07-13-09 03:12 PM
    Google Maps does work with the Storm and from the reviews I have read, it also works with the Tour. The GPS is unlocked so it will work with any 3rd party app, there just needs to be a version available that will work with the Tour. Also, and this has been repeated over and over, you have to have a gps lock for Google Maps to give you your exact location, otherwise you will see the blue dot with a huge blue ring giving you your estimated location, usually withing 5000 or less meters.
    07-13-09 03:13 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD