This is the reply I got when I wrote a complaint.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your GPS question.

Verizon Wireless is committed to providing the very latest in products and services. Verizon Wireless does not provide support for 3rd party GPS software that would be required to make full use of the 8830's GPS capabilities. As a result, the 8703's GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices. We are unable to state if or when additional GPS functionality will be enabled on the Verizon Wireless 8830. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    Last edited by riverpush; 05-28-07 at 12:02 PM.
    05-28-07 10:46 AM
    Thanks for sharing this information! I think I will change the title of the thread and move it to the 8830 thread...

A lot of people are going to want to know about this...
    05-28-07 12:20 PM
    I believe all 8830 Verizon customers should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission. Since GPS is a feature of this phone and Blackberry maps is also loaded and such a combination works on the 8800 it is obvious that Verizon has some alternative motive (profit) at the expense of crippling a known working feature.

Enough complaints might just get the FTC (most likely) looking and asking Verizon some questions.

As for me, it might be the last straw that causes me to send the 8830 back to Verizon and find another carrier.

Forward into the fray!
    05-28-07 02:01 PM
    Verizon has been doing this for some time, and it's nothing new. For me, it would be enough to drop Verizon and move to a different carrier.
    05-28-07 02:06 PM
    The way I see it, my handset is MINE. I should be able to unlock it, use all of its features, etc. at my leisure. The hardware belongs to me and I find it unacceptable that the service provider makes the decision of taking functionality away from something I own.
    05-28-07 03:04 PM
    I certainly agree, to a degree. I could understand if the carrier then decided to offer the 'said feature' and then charge (well, I couldn't understand really), but to NOT even offer it, period! Not that is taking the ****...

Another reason why I remember divorcing Verizon. You know having a contract / service with a carrier is just like being married - LOL
    05-28-07 03:09 PM
    I think it's cheaper and easier to get a real divorce! Although you can't unlock your ex and sell her on eBay.
    05-28-07 03:12 PM
    Verizon has been doing this for some time, and it's nothing new. For me, it would be enough to drop Verizon and move to a different carrier.
    Unfortunately, I am fleeing Cingular for similar bad practices and just plain terrible service. I am afraid I have little choice. So far, the Verizon voice coverage is excellent and far superior to Cingular.

Its' just their customer service and now this purposeful crippling of GPS and just so they can charge you more for a feature the phone already has. I really believe if enough folks complained to the Federal Trade Commission, or sent their 8830 back to Verizon, the company might reconsider.

Another poster stated that the 8830 was the largest purchase for Verizon and sale for RIM in their history. Wouldn't it be something if a lot of folks sent their 8830s back to Verizon?

I really hope it does not come to that. I plan to begin raising hell again on Tuesday.
    05-28-07 04:43 PM
    I also lodged a complaint with Verizon. I just switched from a Treo to the 8830. I chose the 8830 over the Pearl largely for the GPS. Prefer to have small size, don't care too much about qwerty vs suretype.
    I urge other people to complain as well.
    Here is complaint:

Hi
    I recently switched to Verizon for the Blackberry 8830 phone. A major reason I wanted this phone is for the GPS. RIM/Blackberry stated the phone has this feature prior to my ordering it. It seems that it does not work. This is a very important feature for a phone that is advertised as a "global phone" for traveling. If there is not a way to get this feature, I will have to switch to a company that offers this service, such as ATT/Cingular or Sprint.
    Please advise.
    Thank you.
    05-28-07 07:53 PM
    I too was planning on purchasing the 8830 phone and have been a verizon customer for many years. While talking to a verizon rep I asked him when he sees a phone with camera, GPS and wi-fi. He told me that he doesn't see any of these features on any phone for verizon . I said except the GPS on the 8830 phone.

HE told me verizon can't enable GPS because it interferes with their service CDMA. and they are looking into it but doesn't see that changing anytime soon.

So that is why I am switching to the curve and cingular when it ever comes out.
    05-28-07 08:44 PM
    is this a joke? one of the features i was excited about was the GPS, and to be able to use it with google maps and/or blackberry maps, and it's been purposefully crippled?

someone figure out a hack please asap!
    05-29-07 02:47 PM
    Good luck with that. That is why I will never be a Verizon customer.
    05-29-07 03:08 PM
    Does the Google Maps app work with GPS on VZW? Looking forward to upgrading to the 8830 from a Treo 650, and GPS in Google Maps would be very nice.
    05-29-07 05:09 PM
    I too was planning on purchasing the 8830 phone and have been a verizon customer for many years. While talking to a verizon rep I asked him when he sees a phone with camera, GPS and wi-fi. He told me that he doesn't see any of these features on any phone for verizon . I said except the GPS on the 8830 phone.

HE told me verizon can't enable GPS because it interferes with their service CDMA. and they are looking into it but doesn't see that changing anytime soon.

So that is why I am switching to the curve and cingular when it ever comes out.
    The Curve will not support GPS (for some reason) so you should consider the 8800 on Cingular, available now.
    05-29-07 09:40 PM
    My Verizon business rep told me that they will be unlocking GPS in a month and offering VZ Navigator on the device.
    05-30-07 09:48 AM
    I wonder if once they unlock the GPS it will work with Google Maps? I loaded that on my 8830 and I like it much better than Blackberry Maps.

I talked, in vain, with a Verizon customer non-service representative this week about GPS and she told me it was a feature they put on my account for free. I was all excited, but what she was actually talking about was the GPS could be used to locate my Blackberry and presumably me, if the police contacted them and asked them to do so. Otherwise, the GPS does not work. Funny, she did not even tell me about their plans for a miracle healing of the GPS for only $10 a month!

So, Verizon is the official agent of BIG BROTHER!

War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Freedom
    06-01-07 02:00 PM
    A bit kludgy but it works for now (I already had an iTrek BT puck) and I like that Verizon can't stop me and all TeleNav will say is "we don't support it". Worked like a charm though...

I got the letter from VZW too when I inquired about GPS, a rep told me "there is a legal issue over who can do GPS over GSM" but was not really clear on it, that may explain why VZW has to offer their own service....either way i don't really care.

For a free month of TeleNav. Download the Telenav for VZW for the wrong blackberry but it works and you should be in business.....

One
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-01-07 at 06:45 PM. Reason: ...added link!
    06-01-07 06:29 PM
    I used to be a CDMA Engineer in the Cellular Industry. This sounds like a lot of double talk. Verizon is like the School Bully who used to steel your lunch money before you could get past him and go to the lunch room.

Don't believe for one minute the Marketing Folks have your best intererest at heart. They appear to have resorted to steeling in order to show profits. (Do they have no other skills?). They historicaly disable all features they feel they can charge you for, and doesn't matter if they are part of their network. The GPS is a standalone feature on our Blackberries, Give me my lunch money back. Yes, please someone start a class action law suite, any lawyers online?
    Mofia friends? etc...
    06-02-07 10:01 AM
    Skylab Mobilesystems Ltd of Hong Kong makes SPOT GPS for Blackberry 8830 but in speaking with them and RIM - Verizon has purposefully deactivated the built-in GPS receiver by default. Once OUTSIDE the U.S., the GPS will function on an international band. I am looking for a techie who has "activated" 8830's GPS functionality for U.S. usage. Anyone ?
    06-02-07 04:13 PM
    I am looking for a techie who has "activated" 8830's GPS functionality for U.S. usage. Anyone ?
    Great idea, I would actually pay a shareware fee if someone would enable it and support it through VZW updates. $20 per head ought to make it worthwhile...?

One
    Last edited by oneoftwenty; 06-02-07 at 04:38 PM.
    06-02-07 04:36 PM
    go to advanced settings, then GPS. change the option to "location on". the internal GPS will work with Google Maps. Verizon did not lock it, they just didn't enable it by default.
    06-05-07 12:40 PM
    go to advanced settings, then GPS. change the option to "location on". the internal GPS will work with Google Maps. Verizon did not lock it, they just didn't enable it by default.
    Tried this, and Google Maps does ask for permission, but just keeps searching forever.
    06-05-07 02:06 PM
    I have not downloaded Google Maps and will not if it is not going to do anything. I do not see that changing the setting does anything for the pre-loaded BB Maps.
    06-05-07 02:11 PM

lol, can you say "troll" trying to stir up trouble?

dont listen to him, its disabled, wont work without a fix from VZW.
    06-05-07 02:21 PM
    If anyone gets it to work for the Google Maps, let me know and I will try it. It is very frustrating that Verizon made this so difficult, if not impossible.
    06-05-07 02:21 PM
1,390 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD