OK, so I have looked around a bit but it seams that a lot of the free gps services are not standalone meaning you can't use them unless you have a data plan.

I am planning on picking up a bold with no data plan and then a 32gb SD card as soon as they are out(junish?), and I need GPS software, preferably if i could get one with the following:

- Standalone, meaning maps are downloaded to card and I don't need a data plan.
    - Good POI's
    - voice commands(it tells me when to turn)
    - low Cost(preferably free), no subscriptions

So if anyone could give me a list of standalone software that would be great, any personal experience with said programs would be nice too. Thanks for your time and input
    05-14-09 08:21 PM
    TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps (not to be confused with Google Map) are the only two apps that I am aware of that allow you to load maps to a media card. I have not used either. A search in this forum will find references to both.
    05-14-09 08:55 PM
    I hate to be a ****, but if you're going to spend $100 on a sdhc card, why not just get a standalone GPS like a Garmin? I see refurb Nuvi 200's pop up for under $100 regularly. I'm just thinking the lazy way: I'd love my BB to do everything but at some point, but I don't want to have to chase after maps, etc to get them to work on my BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 05:24 AM
    because the 32gb card will be down to ~70 within 3 months and its also mp3 player the maps should be anywhere from 500mb to ~4gb, so the primary reason im getting the card is for music, buy doing that you pretty much have all the features of the Iphone in a blackberry which is better
    05-15-09 07:48 PM
    because the 32gb card will be down to ~70 within 3 months and its also mp3 player the maps should be anywhere from 500mb to ~4gb, so the primary reason im getting the card is for music, buy doing that you pretty much have all the features of the Iphone in a blackberry which is better
    I suggest you test your idea with a smaller, cheaper card first. Getting the maps you want in a format to work with TrekBuddy may not be trivial. I haven't tried it, but I've read some discussion about it this forum.
    05-16-09 05:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD