I just got a Verizon Curve and a Freedom Chain 2000 receiver. Installed Google Maps, paired the GPS to the 8330, Bluetooth is enabled and the gps unit shows that it is receiving a signal. When I look on Google Maps, my location is off like it was when the device was using the cell towers. What have I missed?

thanks,
    alan
    07-18-08 06:27 PM
    Google Maps cannot function stand-alone with an external gps. You will have to run bbmaps first, start the GPS, acquire the constellation, then exit bbmaps (leaving it running), and start Google Maps. Google maps will then work fine. I have the freedom keychain with my verizon 8830.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 07:09 PM
    Is that true for Nav4All also??

thanks,
    alan
    07-18-08 07:24 PM
    No, Nav4All can control the GPS. I've used Nav4All, GPSed, amAze, BBMaps, CoPilot and Google Maps. Google Maps is the only program I've found so far that can't control an external GPS.
    07-18-08 08:27 PM
    Google Maps cannot function stand-alone with an external gps. You will have to run bbmaps first, start the GPS, acquire the constellation, then exit bbmaps (leaving it running), and start Google Maps. Google maps will then work fine. I have the freedom keychain with my verizon 8830.
    I'm running Google Maps v2.2.0 with a Pharos iGPS-BT and it works fine standalone.

I can watch the puck show the BT connection as soon as Google Maps loads. It shows my location within 3 meters. I've verified that with the satellite view.

New guy and first post. I'm not trying to be ornery, but my experience is different than yours.

Bob
    07-18-08 10:07 PM
    I'm running Google Maps v2.2.0 with a Pharos iGPS-BT and it works fine standalone.

I can watch the puck show the BT connection as soon as Google Maps loads. It shows my location within 3 meters. I've verified that with the satellite view.

New guy and first post. I'm not trying to be ornery, but my experience is different than yours.

Bob
    Not a problem, Bob. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. A lot of us have the Freedom Keychain 2000, including the OP, so my comment is correct as far as his use goes, but it is very good to know that a different model doesn't have that same limitation.

The reason Google maps has a problem with the Freedom Keychain 2000 has to do with the keychain's power management function. If the keychain doesn't get an acknowledgement back from the device after a certain period of time, it assumes it is no longer connected and shuts down to save its battery. Google Maps is apparently unable to provide that ack signal via bluetooth. BBMaps can. So if you let BBMaps keep the puck alive, Google Maps works fine. Since your Pharos works without a heartbeat signal, I'm guessing it implements its power management differently.

You'll see a lot of discussion of the Freedom Keychain 2000, just because that's what a lot of us have. Please jump in anytime to talk about your model. We can only talk about what we know, so it's always good to hear from somebody who has a different unit.

Welcome to the forum!
    07-18-08 10:41 PM
    I just got a Verizon Curve and a Freedom Chain 2000 receiver. Installed Google Maps, paired the GPS to the 8330, Bluetooth is enabled and the gps unit shows that it is receiving a signal. When I look on Google Maps, my location is off like it was when the device was using the cell towers. What have I missed?

thanks,
    alan
    You need to change an option in the device settings. Its in Options=>Advanced options=> GPS. Click in the top box and change it from Device GPS to whatever it has listed for your Bluetooth GPS. (Probably starts with BT.) After this, tell it to save. after that, it will recognize the BT GPS and will work just fine without having to activate BB Maps first. I did this on my VZW curve and it worked great.
    07-18-08 10:50 PM
    You need to change an option in the device settings. Its in Options=>Advanced options=> GPS. Click in the top box and change it from Device GPS to whatever it has listed for your Bluetooth GPS. (Probably starts with BT.) After this, tell it to save. after that, it will recognize the BT GPS and will work just fine without having to activate BB Maps first. I did this on my VZW curve and it worked great.
    Fyrfyter: what GPS puck are you using? I'm guessing it's not the Freedom Keychain 2000.
    07-18-08 11:18 PM
    Its not, but I had the same issue with mine that this person is describing where Google Maps wouldn't recognize the puck. After I went in and made this change, Google maps now works perfectly. Either it will hit the GPS puck, or if I don't have the puck with me, it will revert to cell tower mode. I never have to start BBMaps at all anymore. Just a thought. I have a Globalsat BT-368.
    07-19-08 06:56 AM
    Thanks. There are two issues involved. As you correctly note, you have to select the external device as the GPS source. That applies for all external pucks.

For the Freedom Keychain 2000, there is the second, independent issue of its power management function. It requires a periodic acknowledgement from the device or it assumes it is disconnected and shuts down to conserve its power. Google Maps apparently cannot provide this ack signal. It's the only program I've seen so far that can't, and the Freedom Keychain 2000 is the only puck so far that I know requires it.

I was confident you didn't have a Freedom puck because the problem with it is well known, and not limited to my specific unit.

It's good to know there are at least two models, yours and Bob's, that don't have the power management issue with Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 07:16 AM
    Will the nav4all give audible directions for verizon 8330? There are alot of issues with amazegps.

Thanks
    Rochelle
    07-19-08 05:16 PM
    Will the nav4all give audible directions for verizon 8330? There are alot of issues with amazegps.

Thanks
    Rochelle
    At least for me, it tries to. Unfortunately, only the first second or so works and then it cuts off. Haven't figured that out, yet.

Bob
    07-20-08 06:38 PM
    so with the Holux 1200 puck (a very nice, long power puck by the way) it's clear that google maps sends a couple of queries to the puck, gets the position, and then stops requesting updates. Hitting my position again doesn't lead to additional queries so information isn't updated. As mentioned earlier, running bbmaps in the background keeps that updated info coming.

It seems clear to me that this isn't a puck issue, but rather an interrogation issue of what google maps is asking the blackberry for.

jt
    07-22-08 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD