My navigator trial ends next week. I tried it out, it's a nice service, but it doesn't justify spending the extra $10 a month on.

However, I do use the Google Maps app quite often. If I cancel the AT&T Navigator service, does the GPS tracking on Google Maps still work? I believe I asked the AT&T store dude this question and he told me "No," but it might just be a shill to get me to pay for the service. I understand that Garmin has a BBerry GPS app that only requires $100 for the program and no monthly charge.
    What's the deal here?
    12-14-08 08:59 PM
    My navigator trial ends next week. I tried it out, it's a nice service, but it doesn't justify spending the extra $10 a month on.

However, I do use the Google Maps app quite often. If I cancel the AT&T Navigator service, does the GPS tracking on Google Maps still work? I believe I asked the AT&T store dude this question and he told me "No," but it might just be a shill to get me to pay for the service. I understand that Garmin has a BBerry GPS app that only requires $100 for the program and no monthly charge.
    What's the deal here?
    Yes, it works fine.
    12-14-08 09:03 PM
    Plus, you can find/add blackberry maps to your bold...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 09:18 PM
    I hope I am understanding this correctly... I have to activate the trial to use the GPS reciever? And it should still work after I cancel the trial?
    12-14-08 11:55 PM
    I tried looking for bb maps for bold. But I wasnt able to. Any help with a link would be appreciated.
    12-15-08 12:01 AM
    I hope I am understanding this correctly... I have to activate the trial to use the GPS reciever? And it should still work after I cancel the trial?
    No, thats not correct. You dont have to do the trial to activate the GPS
    12-15-08 12:08 AM
    ive never once use the att navigator because i dont like to pay 10 bucks extra a month when my phone bill is almost 100 a month already..

ive use google maps always and the gps works fines

between googlemap and livesearch direction/map function there is absoutly no need for att navi.
    12-15-08 12:52 AM
    I tried looking for bb maps for bold. But I wasnt able to. Any help with a link would be appreciated.
    I'm pretty sure you'll find it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

Hope that helps

12-15-08 01:18 AM
    ive never once use the att navigator because i dont like to pay 10 bucks extra a month when my phone bill is almost 100 a month already..
    Thanks! My sentiments exactly!

I also don't use GPS since a) After referring to a map, I like to add it to my mental knowledge of a place, and not refer to a computer for directions, and b) Where I live, especially when there's traffic, it's worth it taking The Road Less Traveled.

GPS directions are a neat gimmick, but if I really need it, I'll just buy the Garmin app.
    12-15-08 01:18 AM
    Downloaded Google Maps, and it works beautifully. Never got the ATT Navigator. UNless you need spoken directions, Google's perfect...and if you do need spoken directions, get a separate GPS unit for less than it would cost you for one year's worth of ATT Navigator service, and you're all set. Me, I'm sticking with Google
    Steve
    12-15-08 01:24 AM
    There are plenty of GPS apps that are free that will work with the Bold.

I currently am using the Trial, just because I can. I will cancel it though once it's up.

Here are two apps:

Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!
    www.amazegps.com
    12-15-08 05:38 AM
    I found mine in the DM and uplaoded it in the App Loader
    12-24-08 08:58 AM
    +1 for Nav4All if you're looking for turn by turn voice directions.
    12-24-08 09:03 AM
    I have tried both and prefer Amaze GPS. They are both free so it doesn't hurt to try them both and see which you prefer.

12-24-08 10:00 AM
    Garmin is ok. The big problem with Garmin, it is tied to your BB device & PIN. If you upgrade your blackberry, or for that matter lose your blackberry; you have to re-purchase Garmin. BB maps is nice. I used Desktop Manager to install it. Once I upgraded my BB OS. to v. 4.6.0.215 I do not even have to change themes to use BB maps. I have not tried ATT Navigator yet. May give it a 30-day trial after the new year.
    12-24-08 04:57 PM
    I tried amaze and had little luck (it was constantly loosing the fix). I wouldn't pay for att nav.

I still use paper maps (and a compas!) But gmaps and bbmaps are good (its fun to use bbmaps to see my exact speed)

12-24-08 05:53 PM
    So bbmaps does work on AT&T Bold phones?

I seen on the BB site that AT&T doesn't support the BBmaps. So has anyone had any problems using BBmpas on AT&T? I have the googlemaps on mine now and am curious as to which is better.
    12-24-08 07:13 PM

I seen on the BB site that AT&T doesn't support the BBmaps. So has anyone had any problems using BBmpas on AT&T? I have the googlemaps on mine now and am curious as to which is better.
    I remember seeing some chatter about that here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-bb-maps-90866/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/bb-maps-24334/

Hope that's helpful
    12-25-08 11:48 AM
    Can I confirm that the Garmin software works as a stand alone guidance system, ie, no data downloads etc?

You can just install and use?
    12-26-08 03:49 PM

Yes, I have the AT&T Bold and use BBMaps sometimes. It works just fine.
    12-26-08 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD