Greetings from South America

I am in Ecuador visiting my father. I asked to have the unlimited data plan for my storm2 while I am out there since my family mostly communicates through messengers and e-mail. My phone has roaming with PORTA GSM and gives me EDGE connection. I am not complaining really since I just go to e-mail and message and plus battery life is good when its not on 3g. I was wondering if I can use my maps. I downloaded google maps and made sure that my GPS changed from 911 to Location on and Location aiding is enabled. My data source is Device GPS. Blackberry Maps and Google maps just wont connect to the satellites, is it because I am not in the US? I have unlimited international data and all works, just that I dont call or send texts messages because it costs an arm and a leg. If someone can kindly help me out. If you are in Ecuador, like city of Banos or Puyo send me a message and we can grab a drink. It would be nice talking to a another american abroad. Thanks!

Luke

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 09:54 PM
    Greetings from South America

I am in Ecuador visiting my father. I asked to have the unlimited data plan for my storm2 while I am out there since my family mostly communicates through messengers and e-mail. My phone has roaming with PORTA GSM and gives me EDGE connection. I am not complaining really since I just go to e-mail and message and plus battery life is good when its not on 3g. I was wondering if I can use my maps. I downloaded google maps and made sure that my GPS changed from 911 to Location on and Location aiding is enabled. My data source is Device GPS. Blackberry Maps and Google maps just wont connect to the satellites, is it because I am not in the US? I have unlimited international data and all works, just that I dont call or send texts messages because it costs an arm and a leg. If someone can kindly help me out. If you are in Ecuador, like city of Banos or Puyo send me a message and we can grab a drink. It would be nice talking to a another american abroad. Thanks!

Luke

anyone have luck going abroad and have their gps work using maps or google maps??

11-28-09 12:38 AM
    I would like know about this as well. I'll be traveling to Europe soon and if GPS works that would be great
    11-28-09 12:45 AM
    In my case, its very intermittent. I'm talking about google maps, sometimes it'll say GPS unavailable and sometimes it'll pull up the map in 10 seconds and sometimes, it'll take like 3 minutes. You just have to keep exiting and restarting the application. Not sure why, my bold would pull it up like instantly. Does anybody have a fix or a suggestion?

11-28-09 05:48 AM
    I will try that and let you guys know what occurs

11-28-09 10:18 PM
    Random question. Does it matter if you have a data plan to have GPS feature on Blackberry Maps?

11-28-09 10:21 PM
    anyone have luck going abroad and have their gps work using maps or google maps??

i went from Pakistan to Thailand (Banngok/Pjuket) and it worked for me.
    11-29-09 01:05 AM
    no luck I have tried for about 40 minutes to get it to work and I also wiped the device but no luck here in South America

12-01-09 08:31 PM
    Random question. Does it matter if you have a data plan to have GPS feature on Blackberry Maps?

Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it does require data for BB Maps to work.
    12-02-09 07:57 AM

I had no issue with Google Maps in Japan, and throughout much of Europe, and the Caribbean islands. Roaming on both CDMA and GSM.
    12-02-09 08:05 AM
    First - You MUST have a data connection. Not for getting the satelite fix, but to upload the maps as they are not stored on your phone by bb, google, or amaze.

As far as the maps themselves, I have done quite a bit of travel (even to islands in the Carrabean) with no issues. Worked greak.

One suggestion is to try Amaze if you haven't. Its very clunky to set up and get started but it offers 3 great advantages:

-very fast gps fix
    -3D mapping down to street level even on Satelite view (looks like your driving through your bb)
    -It showes you all the attractions at once (which is truely great). It makes planning your day to see what, in what order, very nice.

Also, you need to be careful because as soon as you turn on your phone it begins to communicate. Some data charges are nuts. Text messaging can be crazy also. For text messaging I would suggest learning to do "text to email" (basically to send a text to someone by typing (for verizon):
    [email protected]

Hope that helps. Many have helped me on here and its nice when I can return it to others.

Good Luck
    12-02-09 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD