I have a Bold and a Storm, both unlocked and on T-Mobile. Can I use third party GPS software to take advantage of the GPS on these phones? I know I can't use it through their intended carriers or anything, but is the GPS live even if I'm using the device on another carrier, like T-Mobile? I checked around and couldn't find anything, sorry
    02-18-09 03:40 PM
    Should be, its a radio, not a service. Download Amaze and try it.
    02-18-09 03:49 PM
    Not sure if T Mobile is different from AT&T on this, but on AT&T you can use free 3rd part GPS software such as google maps for no extra cost
    02-18-09 03:50 PM
    There's an independent GPS radio in there, right? Is it just always on if the phone is on? I'm assuming it requires no assistance from the cellular carrier to be active, but I'm just not sure. I want to buy a Garmin GPS program for my Bold, but it's pretty expensive and I want to make sure it will work.
    02-18-09 09:15 PM
    There is indeed an independent GPS radio that's automatically switched on/off. It has assistance capabilities, but you can turn that off also.
    02-18-09 09:18 PM
    You can manually enable/disable the GPS through the menu.
    02-18-09 09:21 PM
    I just turned the cellular radio off, and GPS actually refreshes faster. It refreshed five different times in about two seconds each.

Bryan
    Last edited by carbide50; 02-18-09 at 09:46 PM.
    02-18-09 09:44 PM
    You can manually enable/disable the GPS through the menu.
    Yes, but if it's enabled, it doesn't mean it's on and actively trying to find your location all the time...
    02-19-09 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";