So I'm considering dropping VZNavigator in favor of the freedom 2000 or some other GPS puck. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that I'd be using Google maps and that uses data, which I pay a pretty penny for and don't want to go over EVER. Soooooo do you guys think that I could possibly download enough map refreshes on google maps that I'd use, say, more than 1GB?

the opinions of this forum will heavily influence my decision as it's my first BB and first data plan experience right now.

I have used VZN plenty in the past and like it just fine. I think it gives pretty good directions and has a decent database (although it's of course less than GMaps).... and my fiance has it on her phone, so I'd like to make one search process simple as she does a good portion of the navigating on our road trips.

enough about that. what do you think about the data stuff
    05-13-08 09:51 PM
    I don't think it's possible to give you a definitive answer, because it depends on how far you travel and how often you use the BB. And the GPS data will be added to your other data, so it's not just GPS usage you have to consider. If you think about a 500k map, then 2000 maps=1GB. Cross-country, cross-state, you'll surely exceed that. To the corner grocery and back, maybe not.

I think you'll find that most people have unlimited data plans. I don't think you'll be satisfied with less.
    05-13-08 11:11 PM
    right. I get the "unlimited" thing, but our verizon plans are unlimited until you get to 5GB, then you pay per K.... that's what I'm concerned about. I'm not going to use it as a primary gps for my cross-country trips, as I have a stand-alone for that.

I'm sure I'm becoming a pain about this, but with the update not ready for release, I don't know how many more weeks I'm going to need to pay for VZN when I really can't use it. Plus, I'm gadget obsessed and really want to try everything out as soon as I can. I guess I'll have to load some more maps and see how big they are, then make some decisions.

I'm assuming that BBmaps uses data, too, as it seems to be just an ugly looking map where googles looks nice.
    05-13-08 11:33 PM
    Yes, BBMaps uses data too. And I have a more bad news for you. You already know you have to buy a puck if you don't use VZN. Depending on what puck you buy, you may have to run BBMaps and Google Maps simultaneously. The Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS that I have requires a heartbeat signal from the bb, or it shuts down. It's a battery saving feature. GMM doesn't provide that signal. So to use GMM, you have to first run BBMaps, let the GPS get a lock, switch BBMaps into the background, then run GMM. So your data use may be effectively doubled. I don't know, because I don't know if BBMaps updates its position in the background, or if it just keeps the GPS alive.

I have the Freedom Keychain 2000. That's the only one I can speak about.

As far as BBMaps goes, it has a couple of features GMM doesn't. The ability to start and keep the GPS running, and "Route Up" as well as "North Up" orientation. GMM has more detailed maps, but may be useless without BBMaps running too.

"Unlimited until..." doesn't sound like unlimited to me. You're going to have to check into that, too.
    05-13-08 11:47 PM
    yeah... the unlimited thing was quoted both in the store and on the phone. when I ran my friend's puck on my phone to test it out the other night (per your instructions from another thread) the BB maps didn't really change once I closed it. although it may have killed the signal after a certain time, I didn't really run it for too long. I'll have to go back to the store where the guy seems pretty on top of things and talk to him about the data plan stuff again. i really don't want to pay double just so I can have a GPS basically for fun and emergencies....

here's what it says in the unlimited plan fine print at Verizon's website right after the part where they say you can't stream stuff or use P2P:

"For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."

that's what worries me about the 5GB thing. I don't really think I'd ever get to that much data, but if it happened, I'd be mad.... and screwed.
    Last edited by davesax36; 05-14-08 at 12:00 AM.
    05-13-08 11:51 PM
    ..."We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."...
    Ok, I understand that. There really is a limit to "unlimited." Since Verizon provides VZN and measures data use, I would think they set 5GB based on experience. Nobody in the forums in the two months I've been watching has said anything about getting in trouble with exceeding their "unlimited" data plan, so you probably don't have too much to worry about. Does Verizon show your monthly data use on your bill? (my employer provides my phone and I never see the bill. I know I have unlimited text and data.) Can you check it daily and get some idea of your use?
    05-14-08 07:39 AM
    probably. i'll try that and post it up.
    05-14-08 08:18 AM
    well it looks like the Gmaps are between 30 and 130kb each. The BBmaps are about 9K each.... sooooo even if I was loading 100 maps am hour..... that's not even 1 GB, a Gb maybe, but it looks like there's a capital B on the warning, so at bits instead of bytes I'm doing pretty well with that. So far i've used 1.6 MB in four days.... I think I'd be hard pressed to do 5000 times that in the next 26 days.....
    now I'm fairly sure that nobody has gotten into the capitalization thing with VZW, but bits and bytes could be a fun thing to nitpick if it really came up

bottom line is I don't think anyone would have to worry about going over downloading maps. the one nice thing about VZNav is the spoken directions, that I don't think exist with Gmaps.... that's another thing to consider
    05-14-08 09:40 PM
    the one nice thing about VZNav is the spoken directions, that I don't think exist with Gmaps.... that's another thing to consider
    With a GPS puck, you should be able to use any BB Nav program. There's one that is free called amAze at http://www.amazegps.com as well as others such as Nav4All at http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav.../eng/index.php or a 6 month trial of Co-Pilot at http://www.alk.com/copilot/blackberry.asp
    05-14-08 09:57 PM
    Thanks for sharing, Dave. It's good to have some 'typical use' information for reference. It sounds like you won't have any problem with what you want to do.
    05-14-08 10:02 PM
    it's very difficult to go over 5GB doing the GPS function. I don't think you can unless your bb is plugged in, you are traveling constantly, and spending lots of money on gas. If you're traveling that much, you have other problems.

I use my bb8830 to tether. I don't go over 5gb. on average, i use about 200mb. This is me actively downloading podcasts, PDFs, and other websites. That leaves about 1GB for other stuff.

I've been doing this since last year.
    05-16-08 09:59 AM
    what program do you use for tethering, vzw access manager?
    05-20-08 06:27 AM
    trevgriff: I realize the post before yours talked about tethering, but since the title of this thread is "GPS puck Vs. VZNavigator question," you're more likely to get an answer to your question if you post it as a new thread. I'd answer you, but I don't do tethering.
    05-20-08 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD