Just wondering what GPS puck everyone uses/which one you think is the best. I got a 8320 coming and wouldn't mind picking one up. Also how much you paid.
    05-17-08 02:12 PM
    I use a Freedom Keychain 2000, purchased from the Crackberry store. You can check the price there. It's comparable to my Garmin Forerunner 205, and more sensitive than my DeLorme Earthmate. I really like it.

By comparable and more sensitive, I mean the Freedom Keychain 2000 and the Garmin can both lock on the satellites under poorer conditions (indoors, heavy foliage, inside an aircraft) than my Delorme Earthmate. No measured data, just experience.
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-17-08 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added price reference
    05-17-08 02:20 PM
    I use too the Freedom Keychain 2000. It works perfectly. Check on ebay for good price, this is where I bought mine.
    05-17-08 10:17 PM
    I use a Freedom Keychain 2000, purchased from the Crackberry store. You can check the price there. It's comparable to my Garmin Forerunner 205, and more sensitive than my DeLorme Earthmate. I really like it.

By comparable and more sensitive, I mean the Freedom Keychain 2000 and the Garmin can both lock on the satellites under poorer conditions (indoors, heavy foliage, inside an aircraft) than my Delorme Earthmate. No measured data, just experience.
    Can you clear something up for me? How exactly does this GPS puck work? Do you have software installed on your phone that works as the GPS? This is driving me nuts trying to understand this.
    05-18-08 09:38 AM
    The Freedom Keychain 2000 is just the GPS receiver. It doesn't come with any software. You have to use Blackberry Maps or Nav4All or Google Maps or some other nav/mapping software with it. The Freedom just takes the place of the disabled internal GPS in Verizon phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 10:12 AM
    The Freedom Keychain 2000 is just the GPS receiver. It doesn't come with any software. You have to use Blackberry Maps or Nav4All or Google Maps or some other nav/mapping software with it. The Freedom just takes the place of the disabled internal GPS in Verizon phones.

Yep... it pairs with your phone via bluetooth.

I love my Freedom puck.
    05-27-09 09:43 PM
    Since it pairs through bluetooth, will it affect my other bluetooth connection such as the car radio?

05-28-09 10:09 PM
    I have not used it with a car radio bluetooth connection, but it does not affect my bluetooth headset connection.

05-29-09 05:06 AM
    I had a holux m1000 that i used with my dell axim x51v with tomtom installed till i got my blackberry and found out sprint gives away the telnav gps software. Gave the m1000 to my friend who has a verizon 8330 and it works like a charm.
    Since it pairs through bluetooth, will it affect my other bluetooth connection such as the car radio?

bluetooth can support 2 (sometimes more) simaltaneous connections.. it really is an amazing protocal, although wireless usb is more impressive i think
    Last edited by numus; 05-29-09 at 07:48 AM.
    05-29-09 07:46 AM
    Question:

Are all Verizon phones' GPS disabled?

If so, when I use a mapping program is my BB using the RF signal for triangulation?
    05-29-09 10:19 AM
    Question:

Are all Verizon phones' GPS disabled?

If so, when I use a mapping program is my BB using the RF signal for triangulation?
    Answers 1:
    Not all phones, but the 8330 is locked to only bbmaps and vzw navigator

Not exactly. The program has to support the feature and everything, usually it is not triangulation but the phone sends the ID code for the tower you are on and it finds the location of the tower and tells you you are within like 1 mile of that tower or something... not exactly the most accurate...
    05-29-09 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD