I heard that the gps programs on the Blackberry don't store maps because map information is kept on the server whereas a standalone gps like the Garmin Nuvi has maps that must be updated eventually. Is this true?
    05-25-09 09:17 AM
    I know the Garmin nuvi standalone GPS units get map updates about 4 times a year, and those come from Navtec. I think with your maps all preloaded you'll get quicker screen draws and recalcs.
    05-25-09 09:59 AM
    There are a number of gps programs - most have their maps on SERVERS and need DATA to get the maps and or routing info.

Trekbuddy and mobileGmaps (NOT google) can download maps to an SD card. I don't think either does routing only showing your location on maps - if you have downloaded maps of your area.

edited to add:

Oh, now I get your drift....

Yup, locations change and new streets and subdivisions are created and this data must be converted and then SOLD as a update for standalone units. The current economy might slow lots of changes. I've stopped upgrading my maps - Garmin and Tomtom want too much money and the changes are generally subtle. If I can plan/check in advance, I can google locations and make sure things are not terribly changed.
    Last edited by F2; 05-25-09 at 02:32 PM.
    05-25-09 10:50 AM
    TeleNav updates quarterly.
    05-25-09 01:22 PM
    I bought Garmin mobile for my 8330 and assume updates are not required since they reside on Garmin's server and not my BB.
    05-25-09 02:36 PM
    I bought Garmin mobile for my 8330 and assume updates are not required since they reside on Garmin's server and not my BB.
    With Garmin mobile you will always have their most current maps, about 4 times a year. I've heard different stories tho on how they handle the actual app update... Still it's a good program.
    05-25-09 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";