Do u have your GPS on or off? And why?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 12:36 AM
    Do u have your GPS on or off? And why?

Hi gotham.

I keep mine on all the time. Why? Mainly because I have several apps that I use on regular basis that are gps based. Also, I have never noticed any measurable battery decline while keeping it on.

Hope that helps!
    03-15-09 01:22 AM
    what apps need gps on?

03-15-09 01:31 AM
    Google maps, your camera also uses GPS when taking photo, your GPS apps

That's all I can think off right now

03-15-09 02:30 AM
    I keep mine on. Too much of a hassle to switch it all the time.
    03-15-09 02:35 AM
    Google maps, your camera also uses GPS when taking photo, your GPS apps

That's all I can think off right now

Same here, just recently started using the geotagging. Also use it for got-2, a location based task/reminders app.

03-15-09 02:52 AM
    GoogleMaps, BBMaps, Geotagging, SitorSquat , etc. Agree with poster above. Too much hassle to keep switching between on and off.
    03-15-09 03:03 AM
    how do you turn it on and off?
    03-15-09 03:49 AM
    how do you turn it on and off?
    Options > Advanced Options > GPS
    03-15-09 05:11 AM
    Alway on here, same with wifi. Only reason I don't keep btooth on is I only one thing to connect to....the gps in my car.

03-15-09 07:03 AM
    At home off, anywhere else on. I track myself daily with instamapper. I use google maps everytime I leave the house.

03-15-09 07:31 AM
    I leave mine on.
    03-15-09 07:40 AM
    I always had mine on then I turned it off this week and wa wondering if
    I am missing somethimg lol

03-15-09 09:46 AM
    Same here, just recently started using the geotagging. Also use it for got-2, a location based task/reminders app.

I have got-2! The to-do list app? It's location based? Wtf, I had no idea...I've been using that since, like, December or January without using any GPS. Really?
    03-15-09 02:35 PM
    I don't really use any of the apps listed above, even the camera, so do I really have a need for the GPS to be on taking away battery life?
    03-15-09 03:10 PM
    I didnt think it actually used any battery while being "on", if its not in use.. If it does, I havent noticed any..

If it was always actually on, wouldnt it always know where you were, and not take 30secs+ to find your location in google maps, etc?. I think turning it on in the options just makes it available for use by apps (of course I have no idea what Im talking about, so YMMV).
    Last edited by Giant; 03-15-09 at 03:32 PM.
    03-15-09 03:29 PM
    I have got-2! The to-do list app? It's location based? Wtf, I had no idea...I've been using that since, like, December or January without using any GPS. Really?
    Yeah, works pretty well. Open got-2 then options, there's an option to edit location. You can enter a new location via where you are or entering an address. I find it more accurate to use google maps to locate where I am real time than set the location in got-2. Got my house, local supermarket.. Which is great cause I'm always forgetting to pick up bits I need when I'm there. now I have a permanent shopping list which notifies me when I'm at the supermarket.

03-15-09 04:58 PM
    Yeah, works pretty well. Open got-2 then options, there's an option to edit location. You can enter a new location via where you are or entering an address. I find it more accurate to use google maps to locate where I am real time than set the location in got-2. Got my house, local supermarket.. Which is great cause I'm always forgetting to pick up bits I need when I'm there. now I have a permanent shopping list which notifies me when I'm at the supermarket.

Okay, that grocery shopping list idea is just wonderful. haha, thanks for showing me this. How the **** did I skip over it? Weird...
    03-16-09 12:50 PM
    Turned mine off and kept it this way. Battery life increased dramatically and if I need the maps, I just use Google Maps via Internet (rather than GPS) to create the map.
    $10 a month (AT&T) is too much for what I use it for. I'm sure others can't live without it.
    03-16-09 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";