I have read in a thread that GPS does not work well for the storm in NYC. Can anyone confirm this? I know I am having trouble with Google Maps (yes, I have disabled compatibility mode and I have 3.0.2 and yes my GPS is set to on). Google Maps just says waiting for GPS and give me my location to within 800 meters. Not good. Also, blackberry maps searches for satellite but never finds one.

Anyone else experience any GPS problems in NYC?
    02-25-09 07:55 AM
    I have read in a thread that GPS does not work well for the storm in NYC. Can anyone confirm this? I know I am having trouble with Google Maps (yes, I have disabled compatibility mode and I have 3.0.2 and yes my GPS is set to on). Google Maps just says waiting for GPS and give me my location to within 800 meters. Not good. Also, blackberry maps searches for satellite but never finds one.

Anyone else experience any GPS problems in NYC?
    This could be due to the high rise buildings that can and do block gps signals.
    02-25-09 08:00 AM
    Spent a few days in Manhattan last week. From inside hotel room BB Maps pinpointed my exact location with no problem.
    02-25-09 08:01 AM
    NYC is rough even on a legit Garmin GPS...the tall buildings block the multiple signals needed to be effective...and triangulation via cell towers is almost just as hard
    02-25-09 08:01 AM
    I have the same issue... What I figured out is if I open BB Maps and have it find where I am, then Google maps works also.

FYI Trapster will work once I have BB Maps open also.
    02-25-09 08:06 AM
    i have problems getting a lock a lot of the time. i figured because of buildings. thats why i like that google maps can give me an approx position while i wait for gps to connect (if it ever does)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 08:22 AM
    My Tom Tom does not work in the confines of Manhattan. Buildings block the gps signal.
    02-25-09 09:38 AM
    Handheld GPS's are hard pressed to work in places where there are tall buildings - it's just the nature of the beast.
    02-25-09 09:52 AM
    I spend alot of time in NYC and Jersey City and have not had any problems in Manhattan or the city center. LOS with the tall buildings CAN effect the GPS signal but I have not had any problems using Google Maps or VZNavigator.
    02-25-09 09:54 AM
    I was in the middle of Central Park a few weeks after i got my phone. Had BB Maps open for 15 minutes in clear view of the sky and still couldnt get a lock. So then i opened Google Maps (back with the cell triangulation) and it was good enough to help me find my way.
    But i was pissed, trying to show off my new toy and prove i wasn't walking us in the wrong direction, but it wasnt working.
    Either way, the big funny looking building we thought was the MET was indeed the MET, so, so much for high technology finding the way.
    02-25-09 10:40 AM
    my mio gps didnt work in nyc either. didnt have a gps phone at the time so i cant testify about that.
    02-25-09 10:56 AM
    This could be due to the high rise buildings that can and do block gps signals.
    Just came back from a business trip to Philadelphia last week. It takes FOREVER to get a GPS signal in that city. I think maybe the high rise buildings do obstruct signal.

It didn't even register on my Storm.

And when I used my TomTom, it took 15 minutes to get the signal and even then, my TomTom was very incoherent in directing me through downtown.
    02-25-09 11:03 AM
    My BB Maps and VZ Nav work fine for me in the city.
    02-25-09 11:23 AM
    my mio gps didnt work in nyc either. didnt have a gps phone at the time so i cant testify about that.
    My garmin nuvi 680 works in NYC, the only thing is sometimes it thinks i'm a block over...
    02-25-09 12:54 PM
    A car GPS unit once told my friend to drive straight... when he was already at the water's edge.
    02-25-09 01:09 PM
    I was in Times Square yesterday on business and used Google Maps and had no problems.
    02-25-09 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD