i'm planning on going on a road trip from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) to Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) tomorrow with some friends and i'm worried if I might go over data plan if I use my BB for GPS Navigation. The distance is approximately 1343 KM, time span is approximately 13 hours go there and coming back. I have 500 MB of data which now i'm down to 432 MB. So do u guys think this is enough or would u guys suggest upgrading to 1GB+? Btw its only for 4 days and i'm also planing on using it when i'm coming back. Please reply nicely and asap as i'm leaving tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 12:39 AM
    Why on earth would you need to leave it on the whole time? Turn it on when you "need" it and don't worry about your data usage.
    05-27-10 06:33 AM
    Lol I didn't say I was going to leave on, that would be stupid. I meant use the gps when i'm on my way there and again when i'm coming back.

05-27-10 07:19 AM
    The other thing you can do is go on wifi, and download the maps to your cache. Change the settings to unlimited cache memory. Then scroll through most likely areas to download map details. Notice that zoomed in and zoomed out map details are different so you shoul download zoomed in

05-27-10 08:09 AM
    And I meant you won't need to leave it on the whole time you're driving. I think you can get from Winnipeg to Edmonton without it. Use it only when you need it, relax, and have fun!
    05-27-10 08:12 AM
    You might want to look at either amAze. When in arrow mode (not showing maps), it is not supposed to be using data while you are staying on route. It only uses more data if you go off route and it has to recalculate.

If you switch to map mode, it uses a lot more data since it has to keep pulling map data.

I think LifeInPocket works similarly as well.
    05-27-10 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD