Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been solved or asked before (did a search and couldn't come up with anything..) but I just recieved a T-MO 8320 and am currently using it on Rogers without a BB data or mobile (WAP) plan. Have a question:

Are there any GPS Navigation apps that DON'T require a data plan? Something where you can load all needed maps (ie, TomTom, Destinator, Garmin) onto an micro-SD card?

Much appreciated!
    10-24-07 07:55 PM
    I have read bad reviews of SPOT. A lot of other programs out there seem to need a lot of expertise. What is simple and canned to solve this issue?
    11-17-07 12:10 AM
    There isn't a good option for this as of yet.
    11-17-07 12:51 AM
    Is there still no local map GPS solution?
    01-31-08 09:59 PM
    I've tried every GPS title I can get my hands on, and I can't seem to get any of them to work without the data connection. There is nothing more annoying than being out in the woods with a perfectly good GPS device, but being unable to figure out where I am because my data connection is not available. For navigation, I understand that I need the maps, but for tracking, just waypoints and tracks would help me to find my way back.

As I understand the problem, developers want to make sure their software works on as many devices as possible, and since most BlackBerry devices that are currently in service do not have SD cards but do have data plans, we're stuck with server-side mapping software for now.

But as more of the newer BlackBerry devices (with SD card support) enter service, the potential market for client-side mapping software is expanding. Hopefully, some developers (TomTom?, Garmin?) will soon offer a client-side version of their software like they do for Palm and Windoze.
    02-05-08 06:47 PM
    I see this was last up dated on 2/5/08 but let me throw my 2 cents into this.

There is nothing more annoying than being out in the woods with a perfectly good GPS device, but being unable to figure out where I am because my data connection is not available. For navigation, I understand that I need the maps, but for tracking, just way-points and tracks would help me to find my way back.
    It is one thing to be using these nav programs if your not looking for exact location. Now I do not know how far into the woods you go. All I know that if you are a professional Hiker, you want a stand alone Garmin Magellan or even a TomTom.
    I use to do Search & Rescue work over the last 30yrs. I like to have redundancies. The Blackberry would be one of those in a pinch. Unless your going to use the Telenav which I think might be better then Google maps.

Now I am a new user but after reading that people are being located 800meters or even more I have my doubts in the use of the BB and GPS. I might be wrong and if I am hope people chime in and correct me. I will DL Google or some other app and give it a try. Maybe the GPS 8310 is a little more precise.

I only say this if your doing professional hiking or other related work.
    02-29-08 11:34 PM
    800meters is usually a number that GMM sees, using the cell signal triangulation, which is not using the GPS, or on a phone without GPS

On my 8310, using GPS with GMM, i generally see accuracies within 3-5 meters. approx. 9-15ft is pretty good, so with GPS, you should be better off
    02-29-08 11:39 PM
    Hey another person on the same quest as I.....

I have good news and some bad. I found it, it is out there. I'm still in testing with it, have not purchased a gps puck yet but i'm planning on it. The software/website is Mobile Gmaps. Google it and they have a forum to help you. So that is the good news it is possible.

You have to first create a map from google maps (they have the software and instructions on the forums) and then store the maps you created on your sd card. You have to create a map for the reagion you want. I mapped south ontario, i am able to zoom in like google maps.

The bad news is that the bigger the map area and the further you zoom in the bigger the file. The first attempt of this map. it was about 150mb. Not that bad but i only zoomed in from level 7 to 12. Level 12 you get most major hwys and some local streets. When you map out the area you will able to see what it will look like. I wanted the local streets. So i tried it again to level/zoom 16 and the file it created took at least 10 hours to creat, because it downloads the map file form the internet (i let it go overnight). and the resulting file was 3.8Gb. I can't hold that much.....

Anyways, If the map you want is smaller and you don't care about the how much you zoom. IT CAN BE DONE. Check it out is all i'm saying. Mobile GMaps. I still have it on my phone and it is usefull. My next step is the gps function with it. It says it can use it but i dunno.

Let me know If you try it or get it to work.
    Last edited by C00kiemunstr; 03-14-08 at 10:15 AM.
    03-14-08 10:08 AM
    Personnally I use BB maps that I use with Freedom Keychain GPS 2000, that works perfectly with my BB and it works via bluetooth. So this way I do not use my data plan. If you have question feel free to pin me.
    03-14-08 07:40 PM
    BBMaps does use your data plan, to get the maps, the BT is only for the GPS signal from your puck
    03-14-08 07:47 PM
    Another option for keeping maps on the device and NOT using data is Trekbuddy. And there is a site that helps automate making maps for the areas you might travel. I created a local map and placed it on my SD card. It works - again, you are limited by its reach (although, it appears that you can link maps together side-by-side, I THINK).
    03-15-08 10:31 AM
    Personnally I use BB maps that I use with Freedom Keychain GPS 2000, that works perfectly with my BB and it works via bluetooth. So this way I do not use my data plan. If you have question feel free to pin me.
    Hey Yogi,
    Could you please share how this can be done with BB Pearl 8120. I also don't have data plan and my carrier is ATT. Can you share info at [email protected]

thank you.
    04-07-08 11:03 PM
    It cant be done. With him using the BT puck, he doesnt have to use the VZ Navigator, but to download maps, it needs a data plan.
    04-07-08 11:11 PM
    The Freedom Keychain 2000 is just the GPS. You still have to get the maps via a data plan. Or create maps like some of the earlier posters were describing.
    04-07-08 11:19 PM
    Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been solved or asked before (did a search and couldn't come up with anything..) but I just recieved a T-MO 8320 and am currently using it on Rogers without a BB data or mobile (WAP) plan. Have a question:
    First you will need a GPS puck since the 8320 does not come GPS enabled.
    04-08-08 01:24 PM
    I too am on the same quest!

I would like to download a program with all the maps of NA and store them on my Pearl 8110's SD card.

Seems kind of pointless/stupid to have GPS capability but not actually be able to use it without DATA.

Now with 8 GIG SD cards and bigger ones coming out every 6months/year it should be no problem to be able to do that!
    04-10-08 03:07 PM
    But then the companies couldn't charge you a subscription now could they? I agree with you, since it would probably navigate quicker also. I have been in a few areas where I lose my service and bang, I'm lost because I can't receive data.
    04-11-08 12:26 PM
    I too want a stand-alone GPS with local map data storage. I have an 8100 with an 8310 on order. I alo have a Holux GPS receiver from when I used to do GPS from my laptop PC.

When I researched the GPS scene for BB I found that there were two kinds of GPS available for our phones.

1. Free products like BBMaps, Google Maps, AmAze, etc. use your data plan to feed the map data to the phone.

2. Chargable products like TomTom, Garmin, Telenav that basically do the same thing for money.

I have not found a product that allows me to store the maps locally - evenn if I have to buy them - and use my phone as a stand alone GPS device.

The chargeable products do not seem to me to be worht havng given the price of dedicated GPS boxes like Gamin and TomTom. In about 1 year of paying the monthly charges I could buy a standalone box.

That is what I did. I now have a TomTom ONE and Google maps on my phone. Of course I still have to buy map updates but it does mean that I now have some redundandcy and I can still use my bluetooth headset and my phone is still fully functional and battery life is preserved.

Wel, that's my 2 cents worth - slightly more actually.
    04-11-08 02:22 PM
    Trekbuddy (free) can use maps from the SD card. You do have to get the maps in advance of any trips. There are some programs/websites that simplify the map downloading process. There is another freeware program that also allows free maps to be downloaded in advance.

I figured I would edit and say that with Trekbuddy you download the maps on a PC/desktop/laptop computer. Then move them to the the SD card. You do not need a data plan to either get or use maps. But, again, you need to get these maps in advance of your trip. You do NOT NEED a data plan.
    Last edited by F2; 04-12-08 at 09:13 AM.
    04-11-08 11:08 PM
    It seems all the apps right now need a data plan. It makes it easier for most of the developers since they don't have to woory about providing map data to begin with, just as needed.

Alternatively, I have found Nav4All to be the one that needs the least amount of data usage. It won't display the map, but does show turn-by-turn directions. Even if you are out of data access range, it will still work (as long as you stick to the directed path) since it does not need to load maps as you go. It will only try to access the network if you go off course and it needs to recalculate.

That's about the closest I've come across.
    04-12-08 08:28 AM
    Trekbuddy (free) can use maps from the SD card. You do have to get the maps in advance of any trips. There are some programs/websites that simplify the map downloading process. There is another freeware program that also allows free maps to be downloaded in advance.

I figured I would edit and say that with Trekbuddy you download the maps on a PC/desktop/laptop computer. Then move them to the the SD card. You do not need a data plan to either get or use maps. But, again, you need to get these maps in advance of your trip. You do NOT NEED a data plan.
    Any chance of you giving us a step-by-step process how you do this? I think that may help us understand more. Starting with links as to where we can download the software and maps needed would be awesome.
    04-12-08 08:26 PM
    04-12-08 11:46 PM
    Do you have to have a GPS unit to work with TrekBuddy? I have the 8100...
    04-13-08 08:08 PM
    Download links:

http://linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/relea....76/index.html

Map making:

gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps

For maps, enter a search, like Paris. Then download maps.

A good tutorial:

How to install offline Maps on your BlackBerry using TrekBuddy 0.973
    Awesome, thanks for the info!
    04-13-08 10:01 PM
    Do you have to have a GPS unit to work with TrekBuddy? I have the 8100...

Same Question...

No one has the answer?
    04-23-08 08:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD