CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default GPS/Maps for free?

Hello,

I'm going to cut to the chase with this one:

Has anyone been able to crack a Blackberry so that use of Google maps could be free and unobstructed?

I've owned a Blackberry in the near past, and then I sold it for a profit, but I'm seriously thinking about purchasing another, this time to keep. I'm aware that Blackberry expect you to pay for a data plan, ect, but call me crazy, I'm not going to pay a small fortune for a phone (relatively speaking) and then fork out a monthly fee to use a GPS which is already built into the phone.

We've walked on the moon (allegedly), we're on the cusp of cloning human beings, so surely to goodness some bright spark has been able to use Google maps on a Blackberry, without having to pay a fee.

I'm from the UK. I'm intending to unlock my new phone.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SlayerX19; 05-23-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

I use google maps all the time and there is no charge for usage.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

You don't need a data plan to use the GPS. It will receive the satellite signals and calculate your position. If you want to display your position on a map, you have two options. Either buy the data plan so that Google and other GPS apps can download maps in real-time, or use one of two apps that allow you to preload maps to a media card. They are intended to be used in areas where you don't have a cell signal. They are TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps. I haven't used either.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by grncherry1 View Post
    I use google maps all the time and there is no charge for usage.
    That's what I thought, but I think that I was mistaken, because when I tried to use Google Maps I happened upon a message from the phone that said that I couldn't use the maps without paying for a data plan. I've forgotten the actual wording, but that was pretty much the theme: I couldn't use google maps without first paying for a data plan.

Oh, and I'm on pay as you go, so I'm not on a contrat.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    You don't need a data plan to use the GPS. It will receive the satellite signals and calculate your position. If you want to display your position on a map, you have two options. Either buy the data plan so that Google and other GPS apps can download maps in real-time, or use one of two apps that allow you to preload maps to a media card. They are intended to be used in areas where you don't have a cell signal. They are I haven't used either.
    See, to use the GPS is completely free?

Isn't there anywhere that you can download google maps, and then transfer it onto a memory card? And if there were, could you use the GPS with the maps?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerX19 View Post
    See, to use the GPS is completely free?

Isn't there anywhere that you can download google maps, and then transfer it onto a memory card? And if there were, could you use the GPS with the maps?
    No, there's no way to download Google Maps in advance and store them on a media card. With the exception of the two apps I noted above, all GPS mapping apps require you to download the maps in real time. I've never used a BlackBerry with wifi, so I don't know if any of them can get maps via wifi without a data plan. If they can, that might be usable in some urban settings where wifi is prevalent.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

No, there's no way to download Google Maps in advance and store them on a media card. With the exception of the two apps I noted above, all GPS mapping apps require you to download the maps in real time. I've never used a BlackBerry with wifi, so I don't know if any of them can get maps via wifi without a data plan. If they can, that might be usable in some urban settings where wifi is prevalent.
    Thank you very much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

It's a good thing that I haven't got the phone, as I would be stuck in a bit of a quaindry. I think I'll take a wee bit more time to assess the situation and then take it from there.
    CrackBerry User

I've never used a BlackBerry with wifi, so I don't know if any of them can get maps via wifi without a data plan. If they can, that might be usable in some urban settings where wifi is prevalent.
    You can use Google Maps via wifi without eating into a data plan. Whether or not you can save maps to a card...I haven't figured that one out yet. Still thinking the only options for that is the aforementioned TrecBuddy and GMaps.

Best of luck,
    Gary
    CrackBerry User

TrekBuddy is the best app out there for this i think.

ive got a link on another thread in this forum to an application that downloads to your desktop. you use that then to create maps from google maps and you can then store them on your sdcard and have TrekBuddy point to the SDCard to read the maps. you dont need any data plan for this and you can fit a good sized map on there. I've got a map of ireland in 3 zooms (not very detailed to very detailed). so i suppose it would take too long to create the maps of the entire america but i would imagine with a little work you could get a 500 mile radius map on there in good detail.(you could do all of america but it would take ages)
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask nicely please!

If you are wanting a BB just to use as a GPS, get a stand alone GPS. I prefer my TomTom over my BB anyday and it has turn by turn directions.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by vndlewis View Post
    If you are wanting a BB just to use as a GPS, get a stand alone GPS. I prefer my TomTom over my BB anyday and it has turn by turn directions.
    i dont think he wants a stand alone gps i think he wants a phone. most phones now have gps built in so its nice to be able to use this, and even nicer if you can get it for free.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask nicely please!

I was trying to give an option. I have free GPS on my BB, but I prefer my TomTom. I can use the phone and the GPS at the same time and not miss turns.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 24kGEM View Post
    You can use Google Maps via wifi without eating into a data plan....
    You can use Google Maps via wifi without using data, but can you use Google Maps without a data plan? Several Google Maps versions ago, when wifi was much less common in BlackBerry devices, users reported Google Maps required you to have a data plan for it to work, even if you used wifi for maps. Do you know if that is still the case?