As far as I can see, this question has not been conclusively answered yet. Is the GPS chip in Storm LOCKED like in all prior VZW Blackberries, or is it fully open? Google Maps is not working well now, but that may be due to a bug with the app itself. So, if I want to install other third-party GPS apps, like Garmin or TomTom � can they see the chip, recognize the chip and work with the chip?
    11-24-08 01:28 PM
    It is UNLOCKED.
    11-24-08 01:28 PM
    unlocked. GPS actually works with BB maps
    11-24-08 01:29 PM
    Thank you for a response. Now, I've heard that BB Maps works, but has anybody gotten any other apps to work with precision? I mean 50ft. accuracy, vs. 800+ ft. that Google can provide via cell tower triangulation.

Has anybody successfully installed TomTom or Garmin?
    11-24-08 01:37 PM
    GPS is unlocked, AGPS is unlocked

the difference is AGPS is more accurate and used for VZ Nav for turn by turn

Google maps isn't working yet because of google.

I am not sure if tomtom or garmin would work because AGPS is locked, it may though. You can do a test trial of them. Make sure they are compatible with Verizon first though. If they do work, let us know!
    11-24-08 01:37 PM
    I have a program that tracks my location. The free version gets saved to your phone and the $10 version (one time fee) gets mapped online.

So I know 3rd party programs work, but that program isn't really useful if you don't want tracking
    11-24-08 01:38 PM
    I tried to load the Garmin Mobile and it wouldn't load due to Verizon Wireless...
    11-24-08 01:41 PM
    I've tried nav4all and amazegps. Both apps are horrible to use on the storm (not made for the storm even if it says so ). Gps worked with nav 4all only. I think we just need to wait for alps to be made for the storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 01:45 PM
    Ok, I think I see a common theme emerging -- third-party GPS functionality is iffy at best right now, but it may be due to the OS issue itself, rather then GPS chip antics. Looks like many other apps are not working well on Storm yet, and will need to be upgraded. So, perhaps Verizon did not lock the chip, it is the software of third-party vendors that does not �know� how to access that feature.
    11-24-08 01:58 PM
    GPS is unlocked and worked great with at least one third party app: GolfTraxx.
    I used GolfTraxx yesterday and it was spot on telling me the distances to the front, middle, and back of the greens. I confirmed the distances with the markers on the course and by comparing the numbers to my brothers SkyCaddie and by standing on the front, center, and back of the greens. I was very impressed and happy! I had deleted VZNav from my storm, so I know that it is not running in the background - the GPS is truly unlocked (GolfTraxx even constantly displays the GPS coordinates...)
    11-24-08 02:14 PM
    I tried to load the Garmin Mobile and it wouldn't load due to Verizon Wireless...
    There will be a new build that will solve this issue. Its coming and its wonderful.
    11-25-08 06:25 PM
    GPS is unlocked, AGPS is locked

the difference is AGPS is more accurate and used for VZ Nav for turn by turn

Google maps isn't working yet because of google.

I am not sure if tomtom or garmin would work because AGPS is locked, it may though. You can do a test trial of them. Make sure they are compatible with Verizon first though. If they do work, let us know!
    Fixed that for you

To clarify aGPS is definately locked and only usable with VZNav. Also, aGPS is not primarily used for turn by turn directions. Many others have turn by turn and do not require aGPS to function.

aGPS stands for assisted GPS, what this means is that the GPS is assisted by cell towers. whereas regular GPS utilizes satellites only. This is why VZNav will work indoors whereas most other GPS programs have problems getting locks when inside.

While most modern gps providers use aGPS (Tomtom, Garmin, etc) I believe that they can still function without utilizing aGPS. This is why with a Bluetooth puck on a VZW Curve, you are able to use 3rd party software. The pucks are GPS only but software like Garmin's will still function.

One of the easiest ways to know if you are using aGPS or GPS is by the length of time it takes to get satellite lock, if it takes a couple of minutes or longer to lock, you are most likely using GPS. With aGPS a lock is almost immediate as the program is using data from the cell towers to get satellite locations.
    11-25-08 06:46 PM
    Fixed that for you

To clarify aGPS is definately locked and only usable with VZNav. Also, aGPS is not primarily used for turn by turn directions. Many others have turn by turn and do not require aGPS to function.

aGPS stands for assisted GPS, what this means is that the GPS is assisted by cell towers. whereas regular GPS utilizes satellites only. This is why VZNav will work indoors whereas most other GPS programs have problems getting locks when inside.

While most modern gps providers use aGPS (Tomtom, Garmin, etc) I believe that they can still function without utilizing aGPS. This is why with a Bluetooth puck on a VZW Curve, you are able to use 3rd party software. The pucks are GPS only but software like Garmin's will still function.

One of the easiest ways to know if you are using aGPS or GPS is by the length of time it takes to get satellite lock, if it takes a couple of minutes or longer to lock, you are most likely using GPS. With aGPS a lock is almost immediate as the program is using data from the cell towers to get satellite locations.
    I noticed that the in-store model knew where it was within 1500 meters (huge blue circle). I think that's about a mile. But my question is, since it's not the GPS because it's too inaccurate and it's indoors, and it's not the assisted part of aGPS because of the claims here and because it's also not accurate enough either, then what is it?
    11-25-08 07:03 PM
    I am hazarding a guess that you are referring to google maps. If that is the case, it is using cell towers only, it is not using any form of GPS at all. I believe I read somewhere on the forum here that google has not updated mobile maps yet to utilize the gps of the Storm.
    11-25-08 07:09 PM
    Sorry for the silly question but here goes.

So how do you get BB maps to recognize your location. I've looked but can't seem to find how. I'm sure it's right in front of my face but no go hear. Again, sorry for the newb question. This is my first BB.
    11-25-08 07:15 PM
    Sorry for the silly question but here goes.

So how do you get BB maps to recognize your location. I've looked but can't seem to find how. I'm sure it's right in front of my face but no go hear. Again, sorry for the newb question. This is my first BB.
    First, you need to make sure your GPS location is enabled (From the options menu). You then open BB maps, and click the little satellite icon in the lower left corner (I believe you can also do it by clicking the menu button). The device will then pick up your location.
    11-25-08 07:22 PM
    First, you need to make sure your GPS location is enabled (From the options menu). You then open BB maps, and click the little satellite icon in the lower left corner (I believe you can also do it by clicking the menu button). The device will then pick up your location.
    Thanks EJT. I knew I wasn't doing something right. I went into options and turned on location. Had it on the 911 only thing. Appreciate the help.
    11-25-08 07:42 PM
    GPS is unlocked, AGPS is unlocked
    aGPS is not unlocked.
    11-25-08 07:55 PM
    When is VZW going to unlock the GPS on the 8330?
    11-25-08 09:38 PM
    Fixed that for you

aGPS is actually working also. There are permissions that must be enabled during the install process and the software has to be designed to utilize it.
    11-26-08 12:02 PM
    Just downloaded google maps on my storm, it located me withn 3700 meters. Better than nothing!
    11-26-08 12:40 PM
    which version of google maps, I went to a site to download it but it did not have the storm

forget it: Got it
    Last edited by brichi; 11-26-08 at 01:01 PM.
    11-26-08 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD