I can't get my GPS to work overseas. I have a Sprint Tour. The data plan is awesome, no complaints there. However, the GPS function is very frustrating at best and useless in almost every instance.

I finally figured out that BB maps would work for a few minutes if I switched from Global service to GSM/UMTS. However, after a minute or so it stops updating. To me that means that the GPS must be working (and it works fine in the US).

Google maps also does not work, nor does it even try to triangulate overseas.

Having a working GPS would be very helpful for the last couple of days on my trip. Any workarounds that you have found that works? Please let me know!
    09-08-09 04:45 AM
    Found this for you.:
    A Sprint tech support operator has informed me that the
    trick to getting the GPS to work overseas is to provision
    the phone AFTER the Blackberry service is upgraded to international.

Since provisioning only seems to work on Sprint's CDMA network,
    the time sequence of events is critical. Woe unto you if
    your Blackberry forgets its Provisioning overseas.
    09-08-09 05:49 AM
    So you are saying that I'm out of luck? Basically I would have had to have gotten my phone provisioned like you said. Is there any work around? Sprint told me that not all services are guaranteed to work abroad...Seems like a lame excuse. Satellites are all around the world! And the problem isn't the downloads. I sometimes get faster data rates than in the US!
    09-08-09 03:04 PM
    Have you tried calling Sprint?
    09-09-09 03:08 AM
    OP: did you use Sprint's internatinal calling plan or did you purchase a local SIM card? I assume you did the former: call Sprint and talk to them about your problem. When overseas, I am planning to get a local SIM which would include data and chances are good that GPS will work when network selection is switched to GSM. ****, may even get a decent GPS lock with google maps
    Last edited by dohturdima; 09-09-09 at 05:08 AM.
    09-09-09 05:06 AM
    I do have the sprint international data plan. I've also called Sprint, that's where I got the run around followed by the final answer that said that some features may not work overseas. So I but a tour mainly for overseas data and then I can't use the GPS or do text messages? But that's a side point.

Still begs the question, what do I do? Are there any options? Has anyone gotten their Sprint phone's GPS to work successfully overseas?
    09-09-09 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD