Just wondering if anyone else has been having problems with finding a GPS signal for location based services with Poynt. My GPS can not be located, I am very disappointed because I think its really awesome software. Anyone care to help me out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 09:45 PM
    Do you switch to Location On before using the program? Does it give an error message or just take too long to connect? If it takes too long, are you outside and in a decent service area? Mine connects very quickly.
    08-04-09 09:47 PM
    Location is set to ON...the error is "
    GPS is out of service range".even though it says it only after a couple of seconds...wtf??

08-04-09 09:53 PM
    1.3.1.30 is the version I'm running

08-04-09 09:58 PM
    go into applications and make sure .29 is not still showing up.
    08-04-09 10:09 PM
    I am having the same problem. I sent a email to Poynt about the problem and they replied saying that it is a known problem with the BB tour and the new GPS chip within the phone and they should have it fixed with the next update that should be out shortly.
    08-04-09 10:14 PM
    Do you switch to Location On before using the program? Does it give an error message or just take too long to connect? If it takes too long, are you outside and in a decent service area? Mine connects very quickly.
    If you are on sprint, and I guess you are, it will not work. The reason is that google maps does not work with the tour gps (the location in gmaps is from cell towers lots of threads on that subject). The Poynt app works off of google maps. So unfortunately it just won't work.

Poynt can't do anything about it, it is up to google. And for some reason the problem is only for sprint.

08-04-09 10:18 PM
    I mean I can "live" with, it's just one of those annoying things. Yes, I am currently with sprint.

08-04-09 11:40 PM
    i'm using .30 and am able to get GPS lock. curiously, google maps does not work
    08-05-09 01:04 AM
    Had the same issue on my Tour. Then I found this thing called WHERE and it was better than poynt imo. I was a big time hardcore fan of poynt until I got my tour. It just woukldnt work as good as it did on my curve(using cellsite location). You can find it at WHERE GPS Mobile Application, iPhone App & Location Based Services Development Platform its free

08-05-09 02:37 AM
    Had the same issue on my Tour. Then I found this thing called WHERE and it was better than poynt imo. I was a big time hardcore fan of poynt until I got my tour. It just woukldnt work as good as it did on my curve(using cellsite location). You can find it at WHERE GPS Mobile Application, iPhone App & Location Based Services Development Platform its free

Agreed. WHERE is a much better option because the GPS locks you in in about 3 seconds. Sprint Nav + WHERE is pretty much the best combination. Which is nice, because it is really the only option. I keep google maps in a folder to dig out in case there is a result that is not showing up in Sprint Nav, but that doesn't happen very often.

EDIT: I meant to say that Poynt is not an option for Sprint customers. Verizon customers can use it.
    Last edited by BVR; 08-05-09 at 07:16 AM.
    08-05-09 07:07 AM
    I have Poynt and Where on my Tour, both work, I think that I am starting to like Where a lot more than Poynt.
    08-05-09 07:12 AM
    the tour gps is screwy, period.
    08-05-09 07:42 AM
    the tour gps is screwy, period.
    You may be right but in my experience the GPS on the device is fine, it's just that the applications don't play well with the SPRINT tour for some reason. Berryweather can't find me, Google Maps can't find me, Poynt can't find me, there are a few others but I forget.
    Last edited by BVR; 08-05-09 at 08:01 AM.
    08-05-09 07:44 AM
    Poynt works great for me, no issues here
    08-05-09 08:00 AM
    Didn't I read somewhere yesterday that Sprint's GPS was having issues, period?
    08-05-09 08:01 AM
    Poynt works great for me, no issues here
    Verizon or Sprint?
    08-05-09 08:02 AM
    I have a Sprint Tour, and when I download the newest version, .30, when I check the specs it still says .29. I am not sure what this is all about, or why this is, but it will not get a lock on my GPS. What I do is, open BlackBerry Maps, and then get my location, and then I hit the BlackBerry button and choose Poynt from here, and then it works perfectly.

Does anyone else do it this way?

Google Maps does not work at all for me, and Where does work, except when I try to get directions with it. Then it gives me directions from some location that is not even in NJ where I live. Anyone else having that issue with Where?
    08-05-09 09:26 AM
    I think the consensus is that there is a GPS problem on "SPRINT" Tour devices. I think I am going to try the program "WHERE" and will report after I get it installed.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your replies, people were not nearly as nice on a windows mobile forum that I always used to frequent. The help and understanding with this issue has probably made me a "Blackberry Addict" for a LONG LONG TIME!

KUDOS
    08-05-09 12:02 PM
    Unfortunately, I tried to find a BB Tour version of "WHERE" and I had no luck. Unless, someone has an OTA link for the BB Tour I am guessing we have to wait until it does get updated.
    08-05-09 12:26 PM
    I have a Sprint Tour, and when I download the newest version, .30, when I check the specs it still says .29. I am not sure what this is all about, or why this is, but it will not get a lock on my GPS. What I do is, open BlackBerry Maps, and then get my location, and then I hit the BlackBerry button and choose Poynt from here, and then it works perfectly.

Does anyone else do it this way?

Google Maps does not work at all for me, and Where does work, except when I try to get directions with it. Then it gives me directions from some location that is not even in NJ where I live. Anyone else having that issue with Where?
    i have to do the exact same thing to get poynt to work. i also downloaded poynt .30, but it shows up as .29 under applications. strangely, it shows as .30 when i checked it with the BB desktop manager. and you're right - google maps doesn't work at all.
    08-05-09 12:31 PM
    Anyone having a problem with poynt launching google maps when mapping a route? I can not have it launch navigation with google maps. It only launches bb maps even if i have google maps as the default setting. Anyone know how I could change it because quite fankly, bb maps blows.
    03-30-10 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD