I've found lately that I can't get a solid fix for GPS.
    Constantly get the GPS Temp Unavail on GoogleMaps and obviously this affects apps like Poynt and Movies.

I've tried un/reinstalling Gmaps (4.02) and I've only just upgraded to OS .593 today.

Running the test fix on "status" yields a time out, so by this point I'm at my wits end.

Any suggestions?
    04-27-10 11:55 PM
    GO OUTSIDE!!!!!

You need a clean line of site to the SKY above, not indoors, not in the woods, not in park under covered structure... OUTSIDE, with a clear sky is best... plan on being there for possible up to 10 minutes the first time you try it.
    04-28-10 05:51 AM
    dont know what to say... my belive is that it probably is a s/ware glich, depending of the os... i can get my gps in my house(near the window though) in about 30-45sec, and 1times no more the 90-120sec...
    04-28-10 11:51 AM
    Do what Fatboy says. GPS operates on different frequencies from GSM (1.57542 GHz (L1 signal) and 1.2276 GHz (L2 signal)).

Additionally the signal power is far, far lower than most GSM signals (depends where you are).

Worse, building materials in houses absorb GPS frequencies.

All this is a product of the fact that GPS is a space based satellite technology and cell phones are terrestrial mast based (which comes in real handy 'cuz you vcan supply the mast with power whereas the satellites have to rely on solar panels for their power).

Time to get a GPS lock is a factor too and there are several factors involved.
    - a refresh of the GPS signal will be a bit faster than a totally new position.
    - the GPS receiver in the 9700 seems to turn itself off if no apps are using it. At least that is what I think - no proof, mind.
    - location aiding that relies on GSM mast triangulation is a factor too. This also uses your data plan and should speed location up a bit.
    - multi-pathing (the GPS signal bounces off one ot more buildings and two signals arrives at the receiver from the same GPS satellite. Confusion.

It is odd that the time to lock is SO variable but I too have noticed this. It could be that at the moment you try to receive a signal, only only one or two satellites are in view of your window as the pic sort of shows.

You can see that if one or more satellites are out of view of your window then the receiver has to wait until it can "see" at least one satellite. However with only one satellite in view it will take a while for your receiver to get a position lock.

Have a look at this link Slow Lock: Why does my GPS lock slowly sometimes? as it may offer more complete information.
    04-28-10 12:28 PM
    i would also suggest that u turn on gps-assistence, if its not on, for a quicker lock(based on network towers). Yes the gps on 9700 doesnt run "by it self", u can refreh it, and use it with some program(maps, googlemaps, etc...)
    It's also very important where u r in the world and the surroundings... Here in EU its no biggie to get a satellite lock, as i see ur in CAN, so again, depending where, it shouldn't be difficult aswell!! the module should be locked to atleast 3-satellites... to get the right position... Sometimes u can get 1,or 2 in a few secs but for the third u need to wait minutes... And that's because there r 32-total satellites out there for the gps-system,all property of the US-military... And yes, they all circle the planet...
    04-28-10 07:19 PM
    You can get a position lock with a single satellite but it takes a few minutes. The reason for this is that is with one satellite you have to wait for it to move in its orbit to get a distance (a change in time lag) change to allow the receiver to work out where it is on two intersecting spheres (The earth's surface is one sphere and the other is sphere caused by distance from the satellite. With one satellite you could be anywhere on this second sphere - even out in space for all the receiver knows.

Two satellites puts you somewhere in an area of two intercecting elipses and with three or more you get a very quick lock.

What I suspect is happening to the OP is that from the window there is only enough sky to see one satellite at certain times and this is why the time to lock is variable.
    04-29-10 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD