It's been over 45 hour's and I have yet to have my GPS fail me. I'd keep testing to see how long I can make it, but I want to load 4.7.1.53. I do believe that we figured out the issue here and I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel and get a secondary GPS device.

If anyone is have GPS issues delete all your GPS apps (or make sure they do not use your GPS) reboot, see if you get a GPS fix with BBMaps. I had a few auto update apps that would randomly crash my GPS.
    Last edited by SplinterCell; 09-17-09 at 09:02 PM.
    09-17-09 09:00 PM
    it does appear to be a subset of gps apps causing the problem i have been using weather bug with gps on all day today and i have had no problems. it appears that there is some issue with the way some apps run with gps. i installed .53 and it had the same issues and google maps still does not work
    09-17-09 09:13 PM
    Yeah, I've been having this same problem of either failure to initialize the GPS (when no GPS software is running) and also failure while GPS is running (and then can't initialize again). I know that once it's failed that it can't be reinitialized by running bb maps or google maps or gpslogger. Most recently, starting vz nav (when the gps is in the failed state) triggered a reboot of the device (which obviously fixed it).

Most recently it failed while running gpslogger as the sole app (which samples q 5 sec). (This is running os 4.7.1.40. ) But if my memory serves (and it frequently doesn't) it seems like it's also occurred when first pulling up an app (e.g. google maps) and just won't get a fix when it should. So I'm not sure what triggers the failure state.

I'll be interested if 4.7.1.53 fixes things--or is this (yet another) hardware issue?
    09-19-09 10:37 AM
    When i drove to PA from FL i noticed issues with my VZ Navigator. Very frequently, when i launched the app to start navigating, i got the error, "Could not process GPS. Please try again later."

Trying again did not work. The ONLY thing that fixed this was rebooting the phone. That was a hassle as i had to wait 4-6 minutes in my car while it rebooted.

This also happened twice as i was on the interstate and after VZ Navigator was running 6-7 hours. Also annoying because i was counting on it for exit info.

i thought the issue was the VZ Navigator app itself, but maybe not. i'm glad i found this thread.

i also run Latitude at the same time. BB Maps, BerryWeather, Poynt all seem to work fine all the time. i always have Latitude running. BB Maps locks quickly and consistently. BW updates properly. i have multi tasked with the GPS many times and it's been fine. Only my VZ Nav acts up.

SplinterCell, thanks for all your experiments! i will try disabling my auto GPS apps (BW, Lat) and see if that helps.
    09-19-09 10:46 AM
    I have been running 4.7.1.53 for the last 2 days and GPS is still 100% reliable! I get a fix in 1 to 3 seconds and I check my GPS often.

I'm running BBMaps, AllSport and Poynt (I still use BerryWeather just no GPS Locations). Staying away from the auto updating GPS apps has been my answer; however, it may just be a compatibility issue with the apps I was running. ie: MoosTrax and BerryWeather (with a GPS Location).

I'd let them know about their apps, but I've e-mailed both developers in the past and received no answer. One was even about a donation I was trying to send and their PayPal account was jacked up. If anyone else can verify that BerryWeather (with a GPS Location) and/or any other apps are randomly crashing the GPS, maybe we should try to e-Mail them?

If you find an app that for-surely after process of elimination crash your GPS list it in red. Then we can make developers aware; furthermore, this appears to be an isolated issue with the Tour.

These apps crash my GPS:

BerryWeather (with a GPS Location)

MoosTrax (It was set to update every 5 minutes never tested different settings out just removed)

I'm going to try Sprint Navigator after a few more days of 100% reliable GPS.
    Last edited by SplinterCell; 09-19-09 at 12:01 PM.
    09-19-09 11:56 AM
    Problem: I don't have the issue others are having where GPS doesn't work randomly. My problem is that GPS *sometimes* doesn't work after I travel to another place by airplane.

Solution: Reboot helped me to fix my GPS issue. Till yesterday. Yesterday, after I landed, I couldn't get the GPS fix. Rebooted thrice, still, didn't get it to work. After which, I went into Options -> Advanced options ->GPS -> GPS Services, changed to E911 only, saved, exited out of options. Went back again, and switched it back to "Location on". After I exited the options, GPS started working again !!

If someone is running into GPS issues, maybe you can try this new magic.
    09-25-09 01:17 PM
    Problem: I don't have the issue others are having where GPS doesn't work randomly. My problem is that GPS *sometimes* doesn't work after I travel to another place by airplane.

Solution: Reboot helped me to fix my GPS issue. Till yesterday. Yesterday, after I landed, I couldn't get the GPS fix. Rebooted thrice, still, didn't get it to work. After which, I went into Options -> Advanced options ->GPS -> GPS Services, changed to E911 only, saved, exited out of options. Went back again, and switched it back to "Location on". After I exited the options, GPS started working again !!

If someone is running into GPS issues, maybe you can try this new magic.
    I do not know enough about the gps inside these phones. Does the gps/phone combo store the ALMANAC like other gps units. What happens is that when you have a "normal" gps on, it grabs certain data like the position of satellites and their expected locations (or something like that). So the next time you turn it on, it has a sense of where to look for satellites. If you travel far, this can throw off this internal database until it gets a chance to find it again. I do not know if the Tour's gps does a similar thing.
    09-25-09 05:58 PM
    My Tour GPS wouldn't work. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon while we installed VZNav to test. Wouldn't work with that either. Replacement authorized, but after reading this thread, I figured it wouldn't do much good.

I started removing applications that might be involved. Problem went away when I removed Beyond411. Too bad, as I liked that application on my Curve 8330, but Poynt is working well on the Tour, and that can do what Beyond411 always did for me.

I am now using BB Maps and Poynt at the same time, so its not a matter of only one application running with the GPS and locking it up. Possibly Beyond411 was written earlier, and there is some incompatibility.

Note that in prior tests, I didn't even have Beyond411 running. In earlier tests, I rebooted the Tour, and immediately tried BB Maps without success.

Works now!
    09-25-09 09:30 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD