Google Maps rock. Even though it only puts you in range to the cell towers, you can still use the directions to map out a route, it just doesn't have voice. I think it still tells you turn by turn..

That said, i just got garmin mobile for 79.99. Not quite a stand alone unit, but a great app, seems to be able to get you anywhere.
    12-15-08 09:54 PM
    We all know that the GPS is unlocked on Verizon now, but it seems that google doesnt....

This was just posted in a Storm thread

"Hi all,

I wanted to provide a little background for people with Verizon Wireless devices who aren't able to use their device's internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile. Access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in that list. However, two other methods of determining your location, Cell ID and Wifi access points, can be used to pinpoint your place on the map.

I'll update this group if I have more news regarding Verizon GPS integrations with Google Maps for mobile in the future.

Cheers,
    Tom"

Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help
    12-15-08 09:58 PM
    We all need to post to that google maps forum to refute Tom's assertion. I'm posting now. It seems like his info is based on past experience with VZW phones, not the Storm (and the recent unlocking of other BBs GPSs).
    12-15-08 10:06 PM
    That is a little annoying. I mean, I could guess my location within 3000 METERS?! Seriously, that should be a tad more accurate. There are usually 3 antennae for a tower, so it should at some level be able to detect which one you are using and based on latency how far you are away within a few hundred feet. But this logic is based on my limited knowledge of cellular propagation, which is remedial at best.
    They license the triangulation technology (i forgot the company's name), but it always does the estimate based on levels ... basically just like the zoom levels in the app ... so you are almost always going to get 3000 meters, 1500 if you are lucky and in a really saturated area. The same tech can be a bit more accurate when it uses Triangulation from Cell Towers and WiFi location mapping, but w/ the Storm not having WiFi (no im not complaining, I think wifi is stupid addition to devices running on a dedicated network) 3000 is about the best you will get.

Google has confirmed they are working to get Maps working with the Storm's GPS chip. I wouldn't imagine it will take long, as other versions of the app use GPS from RIM devices. Though this is perhaps the first Verizon device they've opened up, Google has plenty of BBOS experience. I would imagine a GPS-enabled version of Google maps within 2 months.
    12-15-08 10:26 PM
    We all need to post to that google maps forum to refute Tom's assertion. I'm posting now. It seems like his info is based on past experience with VZW phones, not the Storm (and the recent unlocking of other BBs GPSs).
    That same mod already posted they are working on a compatible version. And yes I am too lazy to go find a link. Its Google, they will support the most popular (just going on business # here people) device from one of the top 3 Mobile OS providers in the biz ... just give it time.
    12-15-08 10:28 PM
    That same mod already posted they are working on a compatible version. And yes I am too lazy to go find a link. Its Google, they will support the most popular (just going on business # here people) device from one of the top 3 Mobile OS providers in the biz ... just give it time.
    Yes, he posted a few days ago that Google is working on a Storm version. But if you read xxraffyxx's post above, Tom recently (i.e. today) posted a follow-up essentially saying that GPS is locked on VZW phones. This is incorrect info, and we need to help him see the light.
    12-15-08 10:35 PM
    Google has confirmed they are working to get Maps working with the Storm's GPS chip. I wouldn't imagine it will take long, as other versions of the app use GPS from RIM devices. Though this is perhaps the first Verizon device they've opened up, Google has plenty of BBOS experience. I would imagine a GPS-enabled version of Google maps within 2 months.
    As long as it is NOT as good as garmin mobile, otherwise I'll be p-ss'd that I paid 80 bucks for garmin mobile .
    12-15-08 10:37 PM
    I think it will be hard to beat garmin mobile.. It rocks
    12-15-08 10:43 PM
    Yes, he posted a few days ago that Google is working on a Storm version. But if you read xxraffyxx's post above, Tom recently (i.e. today) posted a follow-up essentially saying that GPS is locked on VZW phones. This is incorrect info, and we need to help him see the light.
    Well what I see this is as.... we're going to be waiting a bit longer until they (google) updates their map application to work for the storm

I think it will be hard to beat garmin mobile.. It rocks
    Of course google maps wont be better then Garmin mobile, but hey $80 garmin > Free google
    12-15-08 10:57 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD