Coming over from a 8830 which had the GPS shut off, what is going on with the Storm?

In BB Maps, I don't see how I can find My Location or even in Google Maps.

Any help?
    12-08-08 08:17 PM
    In bb maps there is a button in the bottom left of the screen that activates the gps. Google maps is not compatable with the gps yet.
    12-08-08 08:23 PM
    I don't have that button, on my BB Maps I have three icons,

a magnifying glass
    a sign with arrow
    a star
    12-08-08 08:27 PM
    just use the Verizon navigation system. It eats up your battery, but since you're in your car anyway, just use your car charger while using it. Thing has come in real handy the past few weeks
    12-08-08 08:29 PM
    you need to have the GPS turned on in order for that button to show up menu>options>advanced options> GPS> GPS Service> ON
    12-08-08 08:30 PM
    I don't have that button, on my BB Maps I have three icons,

a magnifying glass
    a sign with arrow
    a star
    You have to enable your GPS. Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services>Location On

Then go back to BB Maps and you'll see the icon.
    12-08-08 08:31 PM
    I grabbed nav4all and it seems ok so far. Of coarse it is not as pretty as google but its accurate with gps. Maybe bbmaps is better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 08:33 PM
    just use the Verizon navigation system. It eats up your battery, but since you're in your car anyway, just use your car charger while using it. Thing has come in real handy the past few weeks
    Why pay extra for VZ Naz when BB maps is free?
    12-08-08 08:47 PM
    just activated it, thanks a meeelion
    12-08-08 08:56 PM
    Google maps is pretty good too. I like it more then BB Maps.
    12-08-08 08:57 PM
    google maps is great for me.,.. centers in on my location to the millimeter
    12-08-08 09:05 PM
    The advantage of VZNav is the audible turn by turn directions. I was able to find an address from my BB Maps that couldn't be located on my Garmin or VZNav because it was a newer neighborhood. The only bad thing was driving at night and trying to read the screen was difficult and I still wound up lost. I had to put the phone up near the window in the car in order for it to find my location but it's free so I can't complain.
    12-08-08 09:10 PM
    Google maps is pretty good too. I like it more then BB Maps.
    I'm with you on this. Google Maps is far more better and the screen in general is easier to read and more "user friendly" as I can tell. I didn't play too much with the version that was on the Storm, so I am not being totally fair (I'm referring to the version on the 8830). But Google maps is just cleaner in my opinion.
    12-08-08 09:34 PM
    yeah, i prefer google maps and love, absolutely love, the street view now too, but beggars can't be choosers and we are stuck with BB Maps for GPS.

The funny thing is that in BB Maps if you go to About and scroll to the bottom, you see that BB Maps uses Google Maps and refers to the Google Maps TOS.
    12-08-08 09:39 PM
    My Storm has never found a single satellite... doesn't seem to matter how long or how open the sky is...just can't seem to find any.

And yes... I've set Location On in GPS, and I see the icon in BBmaps... still doesn't work. Numerous reboots, battery pulls, OS update... still nothing.

Any other ideas?
    12-09-08 12:01 AM
    I deleted my BB maps and only use Google Maps.
    12-09-08 12:23 AM
    Is there any word on when Google will be able to correct their "within 1500 meters" issue? I love Google maps, and cant stand BBmaps or Nav4all -- I just want a free GPS that is user friendly and easy to navigate.... Google is very nice, but I hate that it cant find me very well...
    12-09-08 08:35 AM
    I don't get it, some people say they use google maps and others say it's not compatible with the storm. Can you use it or can't you use it ?
    12-09-08 09:03 AM
    I don't get it, some people say they use google maps and others say it's not compatible with the storm. Can you use it or can't you use it ?
    It works. Google Mobile from your BB. However, it's not as accurate as BB maps. For me at least.
    12-09-08 09:05 AM
    Nav4All and the Fun Female (UK English) Voice... Rrrrrrowwrrrrr.... rrrrrowwwwrrrrr.....
    12-09-08 09:45 AM
    Google Maps works. However, it uses cell towers instead of the GPS. My closest cell tower is roughly 5000 ft away from me. It puts a circle on the map and even says something to the effect of "you are in this circle".

GMaps isnt quite up to speed on the Storm with the GPS. They are working on it, like every other software company. This BB is too new. Give it a few months and we will be hip deep in Storm Apps.
    12-09-08 09:54 AM
    That is a little annoying. I mean, I could guess my location within 3000 METERS?! Seriously, that should be a tad more accurate. There are usually 3 antennae for a tower, so it should at some level be able to detect which one you are using and based on latency how far you are away within a few hundred feet. But this logic is based on my limited knowledge of cellular propagation, which is remedial at best.
    12-10-08 01:01 PM
    do any of these cost money to use?
    i think gps nav does, but im not sure about the other two.
    12-10-08 01:12 PM
    do any of these cost money to use?
    i think gps nav does, but im not sure about the other two.
    VZ Nav is free the 1st month, then costs 9.99 per month

Google Maps and BB Maps are free
    12-10-08 01:28 PM
    yea..but dont you have to pay an extra $10 bucks on top of your DATA service? thats just a waste of more money..
    12-10-08 02:44 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD