Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default GPS doesn't work. What are my options?

This is my 3rd Storm, previous one was bricked beyond repair. (Followed guides here and nothing worked)
    So they sent me a refurb as a replacement. Came loaded with 4.7.0.148

Now this one doesn't have a working GPS. I've tried Google Maps, BB Maps, AmazeGPS or whatever it was called. None of them can track properly and cannot find satellites. On Google Maps, it would locate me to no less than 1000 meters. On my previous storm (also 4.7), it was very accurate to 3-7meters.

I updated to the official vzw 5.0 OS and same result. Tried wiping and reloading. Tried *228 and did both 1 and 2 reprogramming...nothing works. Yes, Location On is enabled.

Is it the OS?

I took it to VZW and they said it was "cosmetic" and they can't replace it. wtf? They also said accuracy will vary between devices.

I'm going to try calling tomorrow afternoon. Not having a 100% functioning phone that I paid $150 for is bull****.

Am I SOL?
    Last edited by altezzaboy03; 10-26-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Wow, you got it for only $150.00. Thats pretty good. My phone has never been with in 3-7 meters. It is always around 1000. I think you are SOL.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I think it was $200 and $50 rebate
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Check Options->Advanced options->GPS. Do you have location aiding on or off? This setting turns on and off cell-tower GPS aiding. Meaning it will use the cell-towers instead of true GPS. I have it turned off and I would say it is accurate to about 100 Feet (about 30 meters). It usually a little more accurate than that. But your accuracy may vary.

It will sometimes put me about that distance (30 meters) to the right of my house (in the middle of the busy highway :-P). I tried google maps with the location-aiding turned on, and it put me about 1500 meters away.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Oops, wrong thread.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Oh yeah, i tried that too. So did the VZW CSR. Brought the accuracy to 900 meters.

Google maps will always say "waiting for GPS" or "GPS currently unavailable"...
    my previous storm wouldn't say that and would always be locked on

trying it right now as well and it's displaying me about 10miles from my location and with 2700 meters...completely off and it keeps moving around the map.

I used to rely on this to go to the city with my old storm...now it can't even show what town i'm in.
    Last edited by altezzaboy03; 10-27-2009 at 01:09 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Yeah, I would complain until the cows came home to VZ until they finally say f-it and get you into a different device. That is bs. Your device should be 100%. Call, complain, write letters (don't complain via email) until someone takes care of you but don't be an **** about it (even though I would want to). It's sad that one should have to deal with this. I guess I've been lucky with me lil Pearl 8130. I've never had a problem out of it so I haven't had to deal with any bs from CS. Good luck
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Bump
    any other input?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

where do you live, and how good is your coverage? Sometimes, when I'm indoors and have poor reception, I get that issue, but usually it fixes itself once I get outdoors or get to better reception. Also, what version of google maps do you have? I think it is up to 3.2.x now, so make sure it is the most recent version that is installed. Other than that and making sure "location on" is set, there isn't much else.
    Programs: Docs2Go, Blackberry Messenger, Traffic, Google Maps, Appworld, Crackberry Apps, Word Mole, Meterberry, Movies by Flixster, Patternlock, Bank of America mobile, Weatherbug, Vlingo 4.0, Youtube mobile, Tank Recon 3D, Google Search, Google Sync, Fuze Messenger, Cliffed, Maze, Fierce Towers, Crazy Penguin2, Dots,
    Theme: Default Today Theme
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I live in New Jersey. My previous Storm had no trouble locating me in 10 seconds, especially outdoors. It was on OS 4.7 and Google Maps 3.0.2

My current Storm is on OS 5.0 an Google Maps 3.2.0. It can't locate me anywhere properly.

Both phones were set to Location On, with Aiding enabled and disabled. (Tried both)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    PIN
    31B93F6D

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by altezzaboy03 View Post
    I live in New Jersey. My previous Storm had no trouble locating me in 10 seconds, especially outdoors. It was on OS 4.7 and Google Maps 3.0.2

My current Storm is on OS 5.0 an Google Maps 3.2.0. It can't locate me anywhere properly.

Both phones were set to Location On, with Aiding enabled and disabled. (Tried both)
    3.2.0 on my phone is not compatible , so down graded to 3.0.2.. works fine
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    PIN
    305445d8

same to me at google maps it always says gps not available now for some reason doesnt work with 5.0 os
    storm to the bonezz
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by traindrvr63 View Post
    3.2.0 on my phone is not compatible , so down graded to 3.0.2.. works fine
    I've tried 3.0.2, it still doesn't work

BB Maps doesn't locate me, it can't even find satellites.
    Google Maps, stays at Unable to find GPS, GPS temporarily unavailable.

It's no use, it's gotta be a hardware issue.

I've already called Verizon and they're sending me another refurb. Hopefully this is the last time they have to ever send me a refurb.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Got my refurb phone and GPS locked on my location in my house within 10 seconds to 10 meters.

Old phone never locked on.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    3053A00D

Quote Originally Posted by altezzaboy03 View Post
    Got my refurb phone and GPS locked on my location in my house within 10 seconds to 10 meters.

Old phone never locked on.
    and I assume you are running 5.0.0.328 on the refurb you just got.
    The chains which once held us are only the chains which we've made.

I work for Verizon Wireless
    Feel free to pin or pm me with questions.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Indeed I am.

Came loaded with 5.0.0.328 but I wiped and reloaded since there was a ton of crap on it that I don't need.