I bought my Curve from Bell because support and coverage in Canada were important to me. Bell cripples the GPS and I dont really understand this. Blackberry maps seems to work. If I do not download the Bell GPS app, and I stick to BB Maps (which is enough for me...) WILL i GET EXTRA BILLED.

Also, does anybody have experience with Amaze GPS and Bell Mobility? Will it work? Will there be extra charges?
    02-01-09 12:43 PM
    Now, I'm obviously not on Bell, but have you tried updating to the latest os and tried out Nav4All.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit; and as far as I know there should not be any extra charges besides a little data. But you probably already have the unlimited plan. Maybe.
    02-01-09 12:45 PM
    I am on Bell, and use BB Maps all the time. As long as you have good data package, there are no additional charges. I personally don't see how the GPS is crippled. Mine has worked fine with Google Maps and BB Maps for well over a year now.

So whereabouts in Canada are you...I'm in Halifax NS myself, former Aliant customer who was forced onto Bell with the merger...but I made it cost them with the plan I've got now, so all is well.
    02-01-09 02:58 PM
    I am in Montreal. Bell has an application called GPS NAV. Apparently they cripple any other GPS but theirs.

One thing I will say about Bell, after having a BB with another carrier, their tech support is wonderful!
    02-01-09 05:31 PM
    As I said, I use my GPS with Both BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps with no issues whatsoever, so I'm not sure about the "crippled gps". All I can suggest is try it, as long as you have a data plan, you wont be charged extra with either of those two programs. The GPS Nav Program that Bell offers does cost extra each month.
    02-03-09 12:36 AM
    I think the early firmware had the GPS chip disabled.

Update to the latest firmware and then you shouldn't have an issue.

I think this is the same firmware which also allowed more support for streaming video.
    02-03-09 01:11 AM
    I am in Montreal. Bell has an application called GPS NAV. Apparently they cripple any other GPS but theirs.

One thing I will say about Bell, after having a BB with another carrier, their tech support is wonderful!
    I've only used GPS Nav once, but I use the GPS with the camera, Poynt, BB Maps and Carfinder all the time without problem.
    02-03-09 06:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD