Just a note for anyone else with a Pearl:

I just tried out the GPS functionaliy of my Pearl and I was impressed with it. After using it to navigate a three hour trip, my battery was shot. I left the location service on on the phone, and kept wondering why the phone wouldn't keep a charge.
    I just remembered that I kept the GPS system on on the phone, so I turned it off and gave it a full charge, and the battery life is back.

Now a question: Why has it taken increasingly longer for my phone to get a GPS lock on it when I run the map service? I'm using Alltel so I don't have to pay anybody for the service.
    08-22-08 06:09 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    The amount of time it takes to get a lock on your location depends on the signal at your location.
    08-22-08 07:17 PM
    Thanks, so obviously the longer it takes the more battery used. But, if in a good open area using GPS for 5 hours driving 250 miles, approx how much battery would be used?
    09-10-08 01:32 PM
    Generally GPS on any mobile device chews up the battery in no time. The longest I have had a battery last me with another manufacturer was 4 hours max.

09-10-08 01:36 PM
    It's hard to say how long precisely the battery will last because it depends on a lot of variables, but using any apps, especially GPS or Bluetooth are going to be a drain on your battery. I'd keep the phone plugged into the car charger while using your GPS.
    09-10-08 01:37 PM
    Michelle, love the sayings in your signature line!
    So this morning I turned on Bluetooth and GPS at 7 AM, with a full charge, and around 11 I had about 40% battery life left. This would be good then right?
    09-10-08 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD