First post and got totally confused with search results.
    This is my first blackberry (curve 8330) and I'm new to "newer phones". My last cell phone was bought 5 years ago. LOL

I'm on verizon and I have the data plan (unlimited). They gave me a free month of VZNavigator, but I don't want to keep it b/c I want a FREE GPS app.

Can I use a GPS service w/o having to pay for VZNavigator?
    Will my GPS work w/o VZNavigator?
    What apps do you suggest I try out that are free (GPS)?

I would love it to have a trafic feature, but just showing alt routes would be enough...

(I tried searching but I wasn't sure about why people were asking if they could download maps. Is that to avoid the data plan...I wasn't sure if the responses related to my situation)

Bren
    04-25-09 12:46 AM
    With the internal GPS on your Verizon 8330, you only have one free choice: BBMaps, which comes with the BlackBerry. For what it's worth, you also only have one for-fee choice, VZNav. VZNav and BBMaps are the only two programs that I know for certain work with the internal GPS. Of course, since they're free, you can try others at no risk. Google Maps does not work. I tried it yesterday. I just upgraded to OS4.5 and have yet to try Nav4All and amAze.

I had very good success using Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry with an external GPS receiver that connected to the BlackBerry via Bluetooth. I have not yet tried Garmin with the internal GPS.
    04-25-09 01:41 AM
    Thanks. I tried BBMaps and it worked lovely. Still made a wrong turn, but it was because I felt like I should turn (not because the GPS told me to turn). Good news is that I was able to use the BBMaps to find my way back.

I downloaded google maps and it's not accurate at finding my location. I don't want to have to type it in. Thus I'm going to uninstall it.

Thanks so much!
    Bren
    04-27-09 07:26 AM
    There are quite a few threads talking about this. I've had success using GPSed to start the GPS satellite connection then Google Maps works well.

I've recently wiped my device and used BBmaps and once it's locked on, Google works again.

Don't know why you have to fire up some other app to get Google's to work but that's been my experience.
    04-30-09 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD