I read in a thread recently that someone always leaves their GPS on.

Is this right? I use google maps. When I need to use GPS I have to open blackberry maps, start GPS and then use google maps. As soon as I close Blackberry maps Google reverts to using teh data signal to locate my position.

Is there a setting I have overlooked somewhere? I would like to have GPS always on so I dont have to activate it in one app to use in another
    Last edited by Danman1043; 03-05-09 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Title amended
    03-04-09 08:19 AM
    Check Options>Security Options>Applications Permissions and be sure Google Maps has allowed for everything. You should not have to do what you are doing.
    03-04-09 08:22 AM
    Check Options>Security Options>Applications Permissions and be sure Google Maps has allowed for everything. You should not have to do what you are doing.

Thanks Was set to custom. I'll have a play when I'm outside.
    03-04-09 08:27 AM
    Will the gps only work outside?
    03-04-09 08:41 AM
    Mine doesn't work at home or in the office. Works on busses etc though.
    03-04-09 08:43 AM
    Will the gps only work outside?
    It all depends on certain factors, how a building is made, what floor your on, ect..

In my office building it wont work inside, but in my appt complex, it works all over my appt.
    03-04-09 08:44 AM
    I went to options->advanced options->GPS and set to 'Device GPS' and never looked back......I use Google Maps, Blackberry Maps and NAV4All and it's just easiest to leave it on, IMO.

I don't really notice any additional battery drain as a result, because the GPS-apps aren't always running. Just my 2 cents.
    03-04-09 09:11 AM
    I went to options->advanced options->GPS and set to 'Device GPS' and never looked back......I use Google Maps, Blackberry Maps and NAV4All and it's just easiest to leave it on, IMO.

I don't really notice any additional battery drain as a result, because the GPS-apps aren't always running. Just my 2 cents.
    I have mine set to device anyway and also, location ON.
    03-04-09 09:47 AM
    Same here

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-04-09 09:57 AM
    The title of the post 'GPS always on?' led me to think this was a question about leaving GPS on or not. I'm not familiar with the issue you seem to be having so I can't help there, sorry.
    03-04-09 10:02 AM
    The title of the post 'GPS always on?' led me to think this was a question about leaving GPS on or not. I'm not familiar with the issue you seem to be having so I can't help there, sorry.
    Thats what it was about. Allbeit, the possibility of it.
    03-04-09 10:59 AM

Is this right? I use google maps. When I need to use GPS I have to open blackberry maps, start GPS and then use google maps. As soon as I close Blackberry maps Google reverts to using teh data signal to locate my position.

Is there a setting I have overlooked somewhere? I would like to have GPS always on so I dont have to activate it in one app to use in another
    You don't need to start up bb maps to use google maps.... Jus go straight to google maps when ever you need to use that app.

03-04-09 11:13 AM
    You don't need to start up bb maps to use google maps.... Jus go straight to google maps when ever you need to use that app.

Actually, after checking the settings as mentioned earlier, I have noticed that When I open Google maps, it uses data stating "Your position within 1300 metres. Waiting For GPS" and this never changes.

I can now go into BB maps and start GPS, go back into GMaps and it will pick up the satellite.

What I can now do (due to settings) is close BB Maps and google will still have the satellite tracked. However, if I exit google maps and start it up again, I have to go through the whole rigmor role again.
    03-05-09 04:32 AM
    thats just the gps is trying to lock onto your position when you first start google maps. head outside where there is a strong gps signal and start up gmaps. give it a min or so and it should lock onto your position within 10 metres.
    03-05-09 04:37 AM
    thats just the gps is trying to lock onto your position when you first start google maps. head outside where there is a strong gps signal and start up gmaps. give it a min or so and it should lock onto your position within 10 metres.

I was testing it this morning when I was waiting for and on the bus. Honestly it wouldn't lock on google maps until BB maps Locked on. It was about 10 minutes using data to triangulate my position until bbmaps started GPS (which it found in about 20 seconds) then google receives the signal.

I must be missing some other settings somewhere surely.

Also, I would have expected if GPS was always on that the option in BB maps would be "Stop GPS" rather than "Start GPS" but maybe the application wouldnt know unless it was open.
    03-05-09 04:44 AM
    for my gps setting

gps data source: device gps
    gps services: location on
    location aiding: enabled

when im in my house and start up google maps, im within 1100 meters. however, when i step outside and start google maps, it took less than 20 seconds for gps to lock onto me and i was dead center on the lock, but google maps says within 10meters.

if it helps, im using OS .245.
    03-05-09 04:53 AM
    for my gps setting

gps data source: device gps
    gps services: location on
    location aiding: enabled

when im in my house and start up google maps, im within 1100 meters. however, when i step outside and start google maps, it took less than 20 seconds for gps to lock onto me and i was dead center on the lock, but google maps says within 10meters.

if it helps, im using OS .245.

Thanks Janx.

I can't get GPS at home or in the office at work but outside it is fine. Just have to start it manually. My settings are the same as yours plus application settings for google maps are all set to allow.

I'm on .216

Its an odd one but at least I have a work around.
    Last edited by Danman1043; 03-05-09 at 05:58 AM.
    03-05-09 05:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";