i have to apologize if this has been asked already. i am new to this forum so please give me a break.

i am wondering if there is any GPS software that i can use, that doesn't rely on the internet. i mean is there a software that only relies on the gps hardware...just like the gps for cars and things like that.

if there is one, which one is the best one?
    04-14-09 09:33 AM
    I believe Garmin used to have something like this, you bought it on a MicroSD card.
    04-14-09 09:34 AM
    thanks...that sounds good

does anyone have a copy of the software by any chance??
    04-14-09 09:51 AM
    Garmin can be trialed from the garmin web site for 7 days, it's also web based so somone passing you a copy won't do any good as it dials up every time you use it and if out of signal won't work until it checks it's licensed.

I would deff use the trial and see how you go, best one I every tried.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 10:19 AM
    What ? Garmin gps app doesnt use BIS ?
    04-14-09 10:25 AM
    What ? Garmin gps app doesnt use BIS ?
    Yes, the current Garmin Application is data driven.

At one time Garmin sold SD cards with the maps and programs on them, and it did not use data, it was all resident on the device.
    04-14-09 10:27 AM
    so now it is data driven???

can u use the old version?
    04-14-09 10:29 AM
    skylab-mobilesystems.com is promoting a free "gps" program with topo maps that you can purchase.

I think the topo maps are way to expensive. They want $50 for the NYS 24,000 topo.

Moroever, their software program doesn seem to do anything other than show you were you are on the map. I don't see a description for making tracks or following routes.

However, it claims that it works just with the GPS capabilities of your device and does not need a data connection.
    04-14-09 10:39 AM
    The non data Garmin is called Garmin XT or Garmin 10. You'll need to do some research on whether it works with the Bold and has maps for you area.
    04-14-09 10:44 AM
    04-14-09 11:17 AM
    Not to be off topic, but I have tried to download the Garmin trial a couple times, and it tells me ...

"Sorry, but the 7 day trial of Garmin Mobile is not supported on this Blackberry device."

Does the trial NOT work with the Bold? If so, thats unfortunate. I would kinda like to see how it works on my phone before I shell out $99 bucks for it. No way.

Edit: Shucks, Just went back and looked at the list of supported devices, and the Bold is not listed. Sorry for jumping the gun.
    04-14-09 11:49 AM
    04-14-09 09:28 PM
    Thanks, I will give this one a try.
    04-14-09 10:06 PM
    Thanks, I will give this one a try.
    I used it for awhile before I got a data plan. It's a little cumbersome to get it up and running correctly with the maps stored on your data card, but it can be done and works good when it's loaded.
    04-15-09 07:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD