I have no idea how it works. This is from another poster on another site.

Here is from the policy:
    The combinations of computer hardware and OS include the following representative platform: BlackBerry Tablet OS version 6.6, ARMv7
    The BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library is also suitable for any manufacturer’s platform that has compatible processors, equivalent or larger system configurations, and compatible OS versions. For example, an identical BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library can be used on any compatible BlackBerry Tablet OS for ARM processors. The BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library will run on such platforms and OS versions while maintaining its compliance to the FIPS 140-2 Level 1 requirements.
    So until the ARMv8 chips come out in 2014/2015, and RIM uses approved software, it should be approved.

Here is a link to the policy: http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp.../140sp1578.pdf
    recompile likes this.
    11-02-12 10:37 AM
    I give up...you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.
    Mike, you know the old saying.... "Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level, and they beat you with experience."
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-02-12 10:41 AM
    I give up...you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.
    If you want "proof" just read any press release from RIM regarding BB10. The majority of them say something along the lines of "our new Blackberry 10 operating system"

I'm assuming you're to tossing together bits and pieces that you've read about online and trying to form some semblance of a coherent argument. Maybe you mean to say the "kernel" is the same. If that's the case, I laugh even harder at your previous statements.
    I have read what they said as well, but I just read it differently. They have said they are bringing BB legacy to QNX to create a new operating system called BB10. That doesn't mean that they are changing their QNX OS to accomplish it. What I took from it is that they are rewriting the code from BB legacy programs so that they will work on their QNX OS. By doing that they will have created a new OS called BB 10 without actually affecting the QNX OS that they are already using and which is FIPS certified. If they needed to change their QNX OS to accomplish that I think we would have heard about a new registration for FIPS. QNX is a mature OS and doesn't need to be modified to implement features seen in other OSs. It already has it. The problem RIM was having was getting Application or Programs to run inside of that OS environment. This isn't like Windows going from 7 to 8 where they had to create code in the OS in order to get touch capabilities. QNX already has this enabled.
    11-02-12 10:43 AM
    Mike, you know the old saying.... "Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level, and they beat you with experience."
    If you read the post above you might realize somebody else was the to quote you.
    11-02-12 10:43 AM
    So you must be an expert in FIPS right?
    Don't try and change the topic, I'm not discussing FIPS in any way, shape or form.
    11-02-12 10:46 AM
    I have read what they said as well, but I just read it differently. They have said they are bringing BB legacy to QNX to create a new operating system called BB10. That doesn't mean that they are changing their QNX OS to accomplish it. What I took from it is that they are rewriting the code from BB legacy programs so that they will work on their QNX OS. By doing that they will have created a new OS called BB 10 without actually affecting the QNX OS that they are already using and which is FIPS certified. If they needed to change their QNX OS to accomplish that I think we would have heard about a new registration for FIPS. QNX is a mature OS and doesn't need to be modified to implement features seen in other OSs. It already has it. The problem RIM was having was getting Application or Programs to run inside of that OS environment. This isn't like Windows going from 7 to 8 where they had to create code in the OS in order to get touch capabilities. QNX already has this enabled.
    Read what you're writing here, it makes no sense.
    Here's an example that's equally ridiculous: You drive a Honda Civic. Perfectly road-legal vehicle. Now you attach flame throwers and a cow catcher. The car must still be legal though, right? Because it's still the same underlying car.
    11-02-12 10:49 AM
    Don't try and change the topic, I'm not discussing FIPS in any way, shape or form.
    So you respond to somebody that is talking about FIPS but you're not discussing FIPS in any way shape or form? Riiigghhhht, that makes perfect sense.
    11-02-12 10:50 AM
    Here's an example that's equally ridiculous: You drive a Honda Civic. Perfectly road-legal vehicle. Now you attach flame throwers and a cow catcher. The car must still be legal though, right? Because it's still the same underlying car.
    Yeah, the car can still be road legal, lmao

Do you think armed army trucks are not road legal?
    11-02-12 10:52 AM
    So you respond to somebody that is talking about FIPS but you're not discussing FIPS in any way shape or form? Riiigghhhht, that makes perfect sense.
    Sorry captain off-topic, not going to let you drag this one down.
    raino and ed_209 like this.
    11-02-12 10:55 AM
    Sorry captain off-topic, not going to let you drag this one down.
    Funny that, FIPS is the topic.
    11-02-12 10:58 AM
    No it's like having a car that has a 350 horsepower running at 200 and the manufacturer gives you the ability to run it 350 because it was already capable of doing it.
    11-02-12 10:59 AM
    I give up.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    mikeo007 and ed_209 like this.
    11-02-12 11:01 AM
    I give up.

Agreed. Let the fools play.
    11-02-12 11:05 AM
    I give up.

LOL.

I say we all just state that BB10 is FIPS certified. There. Now it is.

Oh yeah, since some Android devices are FIPS certified, they ALL are! Yes! It's a FIPS party up in here.

LOL.
    Are you calling posters in this thread idiots? My my
    LOL.

Oh yeah, since some Android devices are FIPS certified, they ALL are! Yes! It's a FIPS party up in here.

LOL.
    Oh snap...OSX is FIPS certified too. And since iOS is just a fork off of OSx, iOS is FIPS too! Party time!
    11-02-12 11:08 AM
    BTW anyone have any comment on the quote I posted with the pdf or do you just want to call people idiots and fools?

I'm certain if i called other posters those names I'd receive an infraction.
    11-02-12 11:08 AM
    I give up.

Are you telling me that every incremental change to the PlayBook creates a new OS? Does that mean that ever update has changed the OS and needs FIPS certification again?

11-02-12 11:10 AM
    BTW anyone have any comment on the quote I posted with the pdf or do you just want to call people idiots and fools?

I'm certain if i called other posters those names I'd receive an infraction.
    In the context that it was used, I doubt it.

Your article may have some merit, but I'm not in a position to say. All I know is that it doesn't prove anything about the laughable comments saying that PBOS and BB10 are the same OS.
    11-02-12 11:10 AM
    I have read what they said as well, but I just read it differently. They have said they are bringing BB legacy to QNX to create a new operating system called BB10. That doesn't mean that they are changing their QNX OS to accomplish it. What I took from it is that they are rewriting the code from BB legacy programs so that they will work on their QNX OS. By doing that they will have created a new OS called BB 10 without actually affecting the QNX OS that they are already using and which is FIPS certified. If they needed to change their QNX OS to accomplish that I think we would have heard about a new registration for FIPS. .
    You're making an incorrect assumption. RIM has clearly stated that BB10 is NOT plain vanilla QNX. Untill they have a finalized version of BB10, there isn't a stable OS to submit for certification. You can't submit developer alpha and beta versions. And that's what they have, right now.
    11-02-12 11:16 AM
    I see some of the same people never have anything nice to say about blackberry. I really don't know why one would come to this site when seemingly its all negative posts made, not just once and a while. I'm not coming back on this thread, no need for anyone to quote me or respond to this.
    11-02-12 11:19 AM
    LOL.

LOL.
    Yup.

I hereby proclaim that EVERYTHING RIM releases and will ever release will be FIPS certified because the 6210 was certified, thereby grandfathering every OS, product, software and service pre-FIPS certified.

Because they are all essentially the same OS

OK....now let me grab some more popcorn....

11-02-12 11:25 AM
    You're making an incorrect assumption. RIM has clearly stated that BB10 is NOT plain vanilla QNX. Untill they have a finalized version of BB10, there isn't a stable OS to submit for certification. You can't submit developer alpha and beta versions. And that's what they have, right now.
    Ding, Ding, DING!

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks that a finished BB10 wouldn't get certified; I certainly wouldn't take that bet. What QB said was that it wasn't YET certified. That factual statement was perceived as a slight against BB10 and RIM.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-02-12 11:25 AM
    Oh snap...OSX is FIPS certified too. And since iOS is just a fork off of OSx, iOS is FIPS too! Party time!
    Get with the program.....because OSX is FIPS certified and thereby iOS is certified then the Newton and the Lisa were also certified.

Who knew?!?!?

mikeo007 and MADBRADNYC like this.
    11-02-12 11:28 AM
    That could very well be true about a possible delay for FIPS certification. There's still no proof that BB10 is a different OS.
    11-02-12 11:30 AM
481 ... 45678 ...