I don't know anything about that.
    I can't tell you how long or what or when about anything, except...
    BB10 was not certified the day before it was certified.
    It was then considered certified the day after the certification.

That obviously means it went through a certification process.
    Which RIM would not spend resources & time to do for no reason or a second time.
    Which obviously means it was not always certified previously.

Makes sense?
    Not really, I'd say BB10 was certified the second Rim confirmed the exact hardware and software to the relevant authorities, which fell within the parameters of a previous tested FIPS certification. That previous FIPS certification allows Rim to continually produce devices that conform to that previous certification as long as they keep to the approved parameters possibly thanks to the QNX OS. Therefore no need to be tested.
    11-11-12 11:41 AM
    Right. So, if that's the case, the point you're trying to make that BB10 was "automatically" certified already is moot.
    I can't see how your collection of links to other websites can support that theory if you are stating no one can research it because of a "lock-down".

What we can conclude is that since RIM announced they "received" FIPS certification, and that BB10 was not always "automatically" certified at conception.
    You only "receive" something you do not have already.
    I've done my best to explain it to you. Believe what you want. It's your right.
    11-11-12 11:45 AM
    I think some really need to talk to Kevin & Bla1ze about getting their own blog posts up to correct the incorrect information being posted.
    Especially when you seem so very invested in these "facts" you have produced throughout this thread.
    BB10 was always automatically certified because it uses QNX? OK.
    A true education for sure.
    11-11-12 11:47 AM
    Not really, I'd say BB10 was certified the second Rim confirmed the exact hardware and software to the relevant authorities, which fell within the parameters of a previous tested FIPS certification. That previous FIPS certification allows Rim to continually produce devices that conform to that previous certification as long as they keep to the approved parameters possibly thanks to the QNX OS. Therefore no need to be tested.
    With all on their plate right now, why would RIM get a certification they did not need and had from conception?
    11-11-12 11:48 AM
    I've done my best to explain it to you. Believe what you want. It's your right.
    You need to write for CB.
    Then you don't only have to explain it to me.
    Everyone can benefit from your wisdom.

Why don't you start by letting the editors know that they have no idea what they are talking about. But, you do.
    11-11-12 11:50 AM
    So they just took RIM's word for it? Interesting concept...I'll have to remember that one.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-11-12 11:51 AM
    The title says it all.
    Seems pretty clear to me RIM received certification for BB10.
    BlackBerry 10 receives FIPS Security Certification before official release | CrackBerry.com
    11-11-12 11:52 AM
    With all on their plate right now, why would RIM get a certification they did not need and had from conception?
    They got it for the PlayBook, the "enterprise ready" tablet, remember?
    11-11-12 11:54 AM
    So they just took RIM's word for it? Interesting concept...I'll have to remember that one.
    Yes. From the point of conception, BB10 was already certified according to some because it uses QNX.
    I wonder where RIM finds the time, money, and effort to certify BB10 a second time for no reason?
    11-11-12 11:55 AM
    They got it for the PlayBook, the "enterprise ready" tablet, remember?
    I wonder where RIM finds the time, money, and effort to certify BB10 a second time for no reason?
    11-11-12 11:57 AM
    1. PlayBook gets FIPS
    2. PlayBook LTE does not need to be tested as it falls under the same FIPS certificate regardless of different processor and additional 3G+LTE hardware and software
    3. BB10 falls under the same FIPS certificate

See the pattern?
    11-11-12 11:58 AM
    1. PlayBook gets FIPS
    2. PlayBook LTE does not need to be tested as it falls under the same FIPS certificate regardless of different processor and additional 3G+LTE hardware and software

See the pattern?
    The only pattern I see is a bunch of assumptions, including assuming that no officials looked at the Playbook LTE before granting the seal of approval.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-11-12 12:01 PM
    1. PlayBook gets FIPS

See the pattern?
    That "pattern" may work for local agencies and their workers studying traffic control devices.
    But, for government "secret & sensitive data" use that does not fly. At all.
    Certification is needed.
    And, was provided.
    11-11-12 12:04 PM
    The only pattern I see is a bunch of assumptions, including assuming that no officials looked at the Playbook LTE before granting the seal of approval.
    So true. All assumptions.
    With that being said, now the the CYOA phrase is now... No one can research it.

If that's the case, then how can they argue against RIMs own press release?

RIM received FIPS certification for BB10.
    11-11-12 12:09 PM
    That "pattern" may work for local agencies and their workers studying traffic control devices.
    But, for government "secret & sensitive data" use that does not fly. At all.
    Certification is needed.
    And, was provided.
    So they provided an existing FIPS certification? Surely if it was tested it would get a new one, especially if they went to the whole trouble to test it. After all, if they would test it they would not test it to see if it falls under a previous certification but they would test it from scratch in it's own merits.
    11-11-12 12:11 PM
    So true. All assumptions.
    With that being said, now the the CYOA phrase is now... No one can research it.

If that's the case, then how can they argue against RIMs own press release?

RIM received FIPS certification for BB10.
    A press release it's just that, a press release at the time and moment RIM chooses to release it.
    11-11-12 12:12 PM
    A press release it's just that, a press release at the time and moment RIM chooses to release it.
    Oh, so now RIMs press releases mean nothing to you.

I had no idea how even RIM has got it all wrong.
    11-11-12 12:15 PM
    Doesn't matter if BB10 was certified 6 months ago and RIM just announced it.
    The point is that BB10 received certification.
    Which means it did not have certification prior to being certified.
    11-11-12 12:18 PM
    Doesn't matter if BB10 was certified 6 months ago and RIM just announced it.
    The point is that BB10 received certification.
    Which means it did not have certification prior to being certified.
    BB10 received the same certification the PlayBook has. Why not its own certification? It's only logical.
    11-11-12 12:21 PM
    You need to write for CB.
    Then you don't only have to explain it to me.
    Everyone can benefit from your wisdom.

Why don't you start by letting the editors know that they have no idea what they are talking about. But, you do.
    Answer one simple question "yes or no". Do you still believe that the OS in the PlayBook is different than the one in BB10?
    11-11-12 12:22 PM
    Answer one simple question "yes or no". Do you still believe that the OS in the PlayBook is different than the one in BB10?
    Didn't we already go over this? The kernel is the same, some elements of Neutrino are the same, but it is a new OS. The Pontiac Sunfire and Chevrolet Cavalier were the exact same car just with different styling. Were they the same car? No, they were 2 different cars. Why would RIM be spending months on development if BB10 was the same as Playbook OS?
    11-11-12 12:26 PM
    Now the diversion...
    We are not discussing that. We are discussing the fact that BB10 was "pre-certified" due to the QNX platform being used on both devices.

Also, since you are now falling back on the fact it cannot be researched due to a lock-down, how can you speculate on something you admittedly cannot gain access to the facts of?

The only thing we can say is a fact is that BB10 has received certification.
    Thor is smart and would not go through a certification process a second time for something that he has already completed.
    11-11-12 12:28 PM
    Didn't we already go over this? The kernel is the same, some elements of Neutrino are the same, but it is a new OS. The Pontiac Sunfire and Chevrolet Cavalier were the exact same car just with different styling. Were they the same car? No, they were 2 different cars. Why would RIM be spending months on development if BB10 was the same as Playbook OS?
    Then why did it receive the same certification the PlayBook has? I presume every FIPS certificate gets a new number? BB10 didn't.
    11-11-12 12:32 PM
    BB10 received the same certification the PlayBook has. Why not its own certification? It's only logical.
    What an oxymoron!!!
    Very illogical...
    You've been arguing this whole time that it didn't need certification, UNTIL the press release came out.

Now after the very same press release that you've just been quoted as meaning nothing, you are now using to say it is the next logical step?!?!
    11-11-12 12:36 PM
    The fact is, it is now officially certified as of last week.

That is the only thing anyone is certain of. Everything else is just speculation and opinion. Can we all just agree to disagree and move along? No need to act like kids and always get the last word...
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-11-12 12:36 PM
481 ... 1617181920