Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 481
Like Tree324Likes
  1. JMDBERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    519 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Imagine that,..RIM's Blackberry has kept agencies around the world connected and intact for many years with its secure software and infrastructure! But now,...but now folks want to dump Blackberries for what I see as unproven devices. The U.S. Government "ICE" is going to the iPhone,...and the Pentagon is moving to the iPhone and Android. I can't believe that they are putting the well being and safety of millions in the micro-chips of devices that are so prone to breaching. This is crazy as heck to say the least. Something tells me that it will take a major world incident somewhere for the unbelievers to return to Blackberry. I don't know about you, but I feel that it's more safe to conduct online business on my 9810 than my PC. I mean, I recently got a virus,..which it appears that MS Essentials caught,...however, it's the third time I've had to deal with a virus in the past 12 months or so. In a way,...I wish my PC had BB OS!

    All-the-same, RIM needs to let more and more cats out of the bag on BB 10,....as the next 60 days will be extremely crucial for RIM and BB users around the world. I'm don't know about you guys,...and gals, but I really don't desire to have a device that is so easily violated as iPhones and Androids are. In addition to that,....the POTUS uses a BB,...it's the only mobile device the NSA will allow him (the POTUS) to use. That should say a lot about BB's baked in security. Pausing.....now, could it be that BB's security is also its achille's heel?

    C'mon BB 10! You have millions around the globe waiting to kick some sand into the faces of the iphone-boys and droid-heads!

    JMD
    JMDBerry
    ...BB Z10; OS 10.2.1.1925
    ...Have Blackberry Z10 and Playbook Will Travel~
  2. MADBRADNYC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,905 Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by JMDBERRY View Post
    Imagine that,..RIM's Blackberry has kept agencies around the world connected and intact for many years with its secure software and infrastructure! But now,...but now folks want to dump Blackberries for what I see as unproven devices. The U.S. Government "ICE" is going to the iPhone,...and the Pentagon is moving to the iPhone and Android. I can't believe that they are putting the well being and safety of millions in the micro-chips of devices that are so prone to breaching. This is crazy as heck to say the least. Something tells me that it will take a major world incident somewhere for the unbelievers to return to Blackberry. I don't know about you, but I feel that it's more safe to conduct online business on my 9810 than my PC. I mean, I recently got a virus,..which it appears that MS Essentials caught,...however, it's the third time I've had to deal with a virus in the past 12 months or so. In a way,...I wish my PC had BB OS!

    All-the-same, RIM needs to let more and more cats out of the bag on BB 10,....as the next 60 days will be extremely crucial for RIM and BB users around the world. I'm don't know about you guys,...and gals, but I really don't desire to have a device that is so easily violated as iPhones and Androids are. In addition to that,....the POTUS uses a BB,...it's the only mobile device the NSA will allow him (the POTUS) to use. That should say a lot about BB's baked in security. Pausing.....now, could it be that BB's security is also its achille's heel?

    C'mon BB 10! You have millions around the globe waiting to kick some sand into the faces of the iphone-boys and droid-heads!

    JMD
    Seriously????

    1) Waiting for your competitor to fail to succeed yourself is the first step towards failure yourself.
    2) BB is one platform the POTUS can use for sensitive but not secret communication. The Sectera is the only device approved for secret. Top secret is not to be submitted through any mobile device.
    3) BB10 is absolutely unproven, thereby rendering your opening statement void.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    scalemaster34 and richardat like this.
  4. faceless_el's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    yikes. actually the upper management at City Hall where I work have been all switched to Iphone 4's (I'm assuming as a trial) since all other work issued phones are still the BBs
  5. ragdeiii03's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Govt Agencies are composed of people just like us; the majority of which turn to products that are popular. Who cares about security anymore? Self comes first. Sad but true.....

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (11-02-2012) 
    bungaboy likes this.
  6. axeman1000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    813 Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Seriously????

    1) Waiting for your competitor to fail to succeed yourself is the first step towards failure yourself.
    2) BB is one platform the POTUS can use for sensitive but not secret communication. The Sectera is the only device approved for secret. Top secret is not to be submitted through any mobile device.
    3) BB10 is absolutely unproven, thereby rendering your opening statement void.
    Yeah bb10 unproven because, a company that is world leading in security is going to write a brand new OS and not carry on with that level of security? Wow if you believe that you have some serious issues. I think your void!
  7. #7  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    BB10 is an absolute unknown.
    It has not received FIPS certification. It is an unreleased OS. The last QNX based OS that RIM released had an exploitable vulnerability.
    So...tell me what about BB10 makes it a proven platform.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  8. NFLPLAYBOOK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    BB10 is an absolute unknown.
    It has not received FIPS certification. It is an unreleased OS. The last QNX based OS that RIM released had an exploitable vulnerability.
    So...tell me what about BB10 makes it a proven platform.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Get you facts straight. QNX is FIPS certified.

    BlackBerry Tablet Cryptographic Kernel receives FIPS certification | CrackBerry.com
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.
  9. #9  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by NFLPLAYBOOK View Post
    Get YOUR facts straight. As released on the PB. Not on BB10 since the OS has not been released and as such has not been tested.



    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  10. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    BB10 is an absolute unknown.
    It has not received FIPS certification. It is an unreleased OS. The last QNX based OS that RIM released had an exploitable vulnerability.
    So...tell me what about BB10 makes it a proven platform.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last QNX bast OS that RIM released doesn't have a vulnerability and it is FIPS certified.

    An earlier QNX based OS did have a vulnerability but a long time has passed since then.
  11. #11  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Last QNX bast OS that RIM released doesn't have a vulnerability and it is FIPS certified.

    An earlier QNX based OS did have a vulnerability but a long time has passed since then.
    The last QNX based OS, the PB platform, had a vulnerability which resulted in Dingleberry. It was FIPS certified but that did not result in its adoption in government agency and marketshare wise it proved to be an absolute failure. THAT, it proved absolutely. A later update merely fixed a hole in that vulnerability, but the OS DID have a vulnerability.
    THIS discussion centers on BB10, which is unreleased, untested, FIPS ,uncertified and unproven..




    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    brucep1 likes this.
  12. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    The last QNX based OS, the PB platform, had a vulnerability which resulted in Dingleberry. It was FIPS certified but that did not result in its adoption in government agency and marketshare wise it proved to be an absolute failure. THAT, it proved absolutely. A later update merely fixed a hole in that vulnerability, but the OS DID have a vulnerability.
    THIS discussion centers on BB10, which is unreleased, untested, FIPS ,uncertified and unproven..




    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    If you're gonna consider all PlayBook OS versions as one then you might as well say the only not the last QNX based OS, it could be misunderstood and give the impression that the last PB OS version has a vulnerability.

    Frankly, I don't see the place for a 7 inch tablet in government except perhaps in a police car, and that is happening.

    A 7 inch tablet will not replace a phone nor a laptop for anybody that needs to do some serious work so I don't see why governments would spend money on them.
  13. #13  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    If you're gonna consider all PlayBook OS versions as one then you might as well say the only not the last QNX based OS, it could be misunderstood and give the impression that the last PB OS version has a vulnerability.

    Frankly, I don't see the place for a 7 inch tablet in government except perhaps in a police car, and that is happening.

    A 7 inch tablet will not replace a phone nor a laptop for anybody that needs to do some serious work so I don't see why governments would spend money on them.
    Staying on topic, BB10 has not been proven, has not been FIPS certified, and is an unknown.



    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  14. richardat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,314 Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by axeman1000 View Post
    Yeah bb10 unproven because, a company that is world leading in security is going to write a brand new OS and not carry on with that level of security? Wow if you believe that you have some serious issues. I think your void!
    So...you are seriously arguing that, as the OP asserted, ios is unproven at this point for government use, but that based on reputation alone, we should assume an unreleased OS will be ready for government use? OUCH.
    Thanked by:
    axeman1000 (11-01-2012) 
    axeman1000 likes this.
  15. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Staying on topic, BB10 has not been proven, has not been FIPS certified, and is an unknown.



    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    I'm not arguing with that, BB10 doesn't exist yet, but a company's security track record still counts for something and we can safely assume it will get FIPS.
    axeman1000 likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    FIPS certification is granted to an OS on its merit, not past record.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    reeneebob and brucep1 like this.
  17. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    So...you are seriously arguing that, as the OP asserted, ios is unproven at this point for government use, but that based on reputation alone, we should assume an unreleased OS will be ready for government use? OUCH.
    RIM track record my friend, tells us it will be secure, has RIM released a product in some 15 years that wasn't FIPS certified?

    IOS however hasn't managed it yet after many years of existance.
    Thanked by 3:
    axeman1000 (11-01-2012),  Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (11-02-2012),  recompile (11-01-2012) 
  18. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    FIPS certification is granted to an OS on its merit, not past record.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    True but considering QNX has it, PB OS has it, it's safe to assume BB10 will have it.

    I know RIM has made mistakes in the past but they have never compromised on security. Give the guys some credit.
  19. #19  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    FIPS certification is granted to an OS once its security has been tested and proven. It is a process that does not grant "breaks" to anyone when systems' integrity comes into play. No certification is granted on past history, and given the PB,s documented vulnerabilities, subsequent roots, and subsequent need for patches to fix such vulnerabilities, FIPS would not be given on an assumption. On the contrary, given the PB, the assumption would be that since the QNX based PB had initial vulnerabilities, a possibility exists, having a precedent set, that BB10 could also have such initial vulnerabilities until proven otherwise.



    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 11-03-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: missing word - PB
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  20. omniusovermind's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,773 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Hey JMD, I gotta ask...

    How DID you get so many viruses? I use a simple freebie anti virus on my pc. I download tons of stuff from questionable and shady websites routinely. I surf por.... You know. I haven't had a virus that made it thru my AV in probably around 8 years now. You must be even dirtier than I am!
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
  21. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    FIPS certification is granted to an OS once its security has been tested and proven. It is a process that does not grant "breaks" to anyone when systems' integrity comes into play. No certification is granted on past history, and given the PB,s documented vulnerabilities, subsequent roots, and subsequent need for patches to fix such vulnerabilities, FIPS would not be given on an assumption. On the contrary, given the PB, the assumption would be that since QNX had initial vulnerabilities, a possibility exists, having a precedent set, that BB10 could also have such initial vulnerabilities until proven otherwise.



    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    I prefer to take a more positive view and just assume they'll get it, I don't doubt for a second BB10 will comply with FIPS. But I'm no government
  22. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,671 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    FIPS certification is granted to an OS once its security has been tested and proven. It is a process that does not grant "breaks" to anyone when systems' integrity comes into play. No certification is granted on past history, and given the PB,s documented vulnerabilities, subsequent roots, and subsequent need for patches to fix such vulnerabilities, FIPS would not be given on an assumption. On the contrary, given the PB, the assumption would be that since QNX had initial vulnerabilities, a possibility exists, having a precedent set, that BB10 could also have such initial vulnerabilities until proven otherwise.



    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Why don't you just call it like it is? It has nothing to do with security because if it did they wouldn't be using iOS or android because they have always been and continue to be rooted or jailbroken. How can you say BB10 won't be considered due to a root that happened on pbOS that was plugged a long time ago and hasn't been compromised since? I can see the unknown part and being new but it has nothing to do with security or an OS being compromised.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (11-02-2012) 
  23. #23  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Why don't you just call it like it is? It has nothing to do with security because if it did they wouldn't be using iOS or android because they have always been and continue to be rooted or jailbroken. How can you say BB10 won't be considered due to a root that happened on pbOS that was plugged a long time ago and hasn't been compromised since? I can see the unknown part and being new but it has nothing to do with security or an OS being compromised.
    1). Review my comments as to what I addressed.
    2). Point to where I stated it would not be considered.
    3). Isolated Android instances have received FIPS certification.
    4). IOS has already penetrated specific government instances and there have been no breaches.
    5). I am saying things like they are, factually as they stand. No assumptions.

    To reiterate:

    BB10 is unreleased, untested, not certified, an unknown.

    Assume what you will. Infer what you will. I stay with facts as they are today.




    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  24. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,419 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #24  

    Default Re: Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    That's a good question, why are they wasting time and taxpayer money on testing products un-approved by their own standards?
    pmccartney likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Govt Agencies leaving Blackberry,...for iPhone and Android! Oh my!

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    That's a good question, why are they wasting time and taxpayer money on testing products un-approved by their own standards?
    Write to DHS ICE OIT Chief and address your question. I do not speak for him.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile Fusion app for iphone and android
    By zaman59 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 01:55 AM
  2. Do you think RIM is gonna make BBM for iPhones and Androids?
    By larsn33 in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
  3. addiction to blackberry vs iphone and android.
    By thiswickedninja in forum Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 03:28 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
  5. would you leave blackberry for iphone
    By metro114 in forum Discover BBM Friends
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions