just got a google voice number...different than my actual cell number. i have read many things saying it's not a true voip and will use my plan minutes if someone calls me on my google voice number...but i'm not sure if that's true.
    does anyone know, in simple terms, how google voice actually works?? i just get confused when i read technical jargon.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-09-12 04:02 PM
    May not answer your question but I use Google Voice for dialing international long distance calls, which is a nice feature I don't have to remember or enter long calling card codes and phone numbers. It integrates with my contact list so when I bring up a contact, press App key will have an option "Call using Google Voice".
    07-09-12 04:15 PM
    I basically use it as a second number. I moved from my home state 6 years ago for a job opportunity. This is now my home, but I can’t bring myself to give up the number I’ve had for years. Places like my children’s school, can’t dial long distance, and there are other times when I’d just rather be able to give a local number. Google voice gives me that option.

I signed up, was able to pick a local number and when anyone calls it comes to my cellphone. I use the app if I need to dial out and want that number to show up on the caller ID. It’s basically like having a new number, but not really.
    07-09-12 04:52 PM
    it is only voip if you use it on your desktop computer. it uses your minutes to make calls when used on phones. i think this is what the OP was asking.

tho it is a great service. i use it whenever i sign up for a service online or fill out a contest form. it allows me to filter out ppl i dont want calling. I make it forward all calls to my normal number tho if it is allowed through the firewall.

it is also used for free long distance calling if you dont already have that feature. I currently have unlimited incoming minutes on my phone. I use the phone web browser voice.google.com and initiate a call through the site. google then calls me, then connects to the number I put in. this does use my minutes, which are unlimited, so I dont care.

i have never tested using the feature to call through gmail.com. that little phone icon in the bottom left never loads on the bb. im not sure how to get it to or even if it can. this would be needed if you were to try to use the browser as a voip service. this could potentially save on your voice minutes.

recently dellvoice.ca was released for canadians. works great on the bb and I have been able to use it to initiate and receive phone calls. this is a true free voip solution. it uses data over voice. they say 1 min of talking = 1 mb data.
    07-09-12 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD