Hello,

I don't know if this issue is common to all BlackBerry, specific to the 8520, or to the Google Sync application, so I figured I should ask in the most general section of the forum.

The 8520 was bought without a contract, so it's not tied to a specific provider. I only have a voice/SMS plan, with no data plan.

Thus, I connected the 8520 to the Net through wifi, clicked on the link sent by SMS by Google, and successfully installed the Google Sync application.

But when I tried to connect, I get the following error message: "Login failed, due to network problems, please check your settings."

Googling for this offered tips on changing the settings in TCPIP > APN, but it didn't work. I suspect this is used by people with a data plan, but I could be wrong.

Does someone know why Google Sync won't work through a simple wifi connection?

Thank you.
    10-08-10 07:04 AM
    I'm fairly certain that Google sync does require a data connection, or at least a data plan when connecting through WiFi.
    10-08-10 10:03 AM
    Yep. You can't use Google Sync without a BlackBerry Data Plan even over WiFi. That's the way it is designed.
    10-08-10 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD