I don't want Google services, unless the make apps in the blackberry world, like Google music and or maps. I think that BlackBerry should get rid of the android runtime because we are our own platform. If I wanted an android phone I would have gotten a nexus 5 instead of a z10. I am proud to have a BlackBerry. I think the adoption of Google services will increase the chance of BlackBerry going android. Then I will leave the platform. If we get Google services then what would be the point of a developer making a BlackBerry version of any app when a BlackBerry can run it. Regardless if it's slow or laggy, there would be no incentive in making bb10 apps. So let's get rid of the android runtime

Posted via CB10
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    03-19-14 09:59 PM
    Prepare to get smashed! Good luck, brother.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    irweezyy and walt63 like this.
    03-19-14 10:10 PM
    There are many components in BB10 OS that are built upon the open source Android. It cannot be be taken out. It is also what allows a good portion of the apps in BB WORLD to run. If we didn't have the runtime, we would have far less apps. Also, do not confuse running Android apps with turning to a full blown Android OS. Jolla and Ubuntu both run Android but are their own OS respectively. BB10 will do so too.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:11 PM
    BlackBerry values their own brand and security and will probably prefer to get out of the handset business before they'd even think about going Android

Remember that the runtime is the reason we have some of the populare apps, so without it we would have even less apps than we already have. Don?t take me wrong, I'd prefer native apps only too, but right now we gotta use what we already have.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:16 PM
    It's easy, if you don't want to use Android apps, don't. It would be nice to have all native apps, but as things are right now, it's not happening anytime soon.

It is nice to have the option to run Android apps if a person is so inclined.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    03-19-14 10:23 PM
    There are many components in BB10 OS that are built upon the open source Android. It cannot be be taken out. It is also what allows a good portion of the apps in BB WORLD to run. If we didn't have the runtime, we would have far less apps. Also, do not confuse running Android apps with turning to a full blown Android OS. Jolla and Ubuntu both run Android but are their own OS respectively. BB10 will do so too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not, I'm just saying that Google services is one step closer to BlackBerry becoming an android smartphone, I don't want that. I really don't mind the runtime, I just don't want Google services. It makes it seem as if we need them to complete the BLACKBERRY experience

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:47 PM
    I think the runtime helps build Android mindshare more than it does BBRY's. I'm stubborn in that I refuse to sideload apks LOL.

The runtime was a strategic decision. We'll see how it pans out over time.
    daithiD likes this.
    03-19-14 11:14 PM
    You don't need to worry - BB isn't ever going to get Google Services Framework on BB10. BB10 doesn't come close to qualifying for Google Certification, and without that, there is no chance of getting GSF. BB would have to dump QNX/BB10 and use Android in order to get GSF, and while I think they should have done that in 2009, it's FAR too late for that now. BB has fully committed to QNX/BB10, and it's too late to change.
    daithiD likes this.
    03-19-14 11:18 PM
    I don't think Google Services have so much to do with Android. I mean Google apps aren't made for only Android even though they own Android. Apple had Google services before Android and I believe they still do and if I'm not mistaken BlackBerry also had Google apps before Google pulled them out. Even though Google owns Linux / Android I wouldn't say that they have their services tied to just Android.

Powered by my BlackBerry (Z10). Join my #BBM Channels C001227CF, C00476C37, C003829C9, C002454C9,C002190AC, C00120CE3
    Last edited by Jerale; 03-19-14 at 11:59 PM.
    03-19-14 11:20 PM
    Of course, Google could choose to build GSF for BB10, but that would be for native BB10 apps if they were to do that. You aren't going to see Android GSF on BB10, which is what many BB users have been asking for, or predicting/hoping will be coming soon.
    03-19-14 11:49 PM
    This kind of mentality is what brought blackberry to where it is right now.

Z10 STL100-2 / Official Release 10.2.1.1925
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    03-19-14 11:54 PM
    Of course, Google could choose to build GSF for BB10, but that would be for native BB10 apps if they were to do that. You aren't going to see Android GSF on BB10, which is what many BB users have been asking for, or predicting/hoping will be coming soon.
    Or they could just have Google devs port their Android apps over which I heard BlackBerry is actually working on through a new dev program. It doesn't have to necessarily have to be native to be on BlackBerry.

Powered by my BlackBerry (Z10). Join my #BBM Channels C001227CF, C00476C37, C003829C9, C002454C9,C002190AC, C00120CE3
    03-19-14 11:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry Android Player is not necessary to BlackBerry OS 10. BlackBerry could pull BlackBerry Android Player and BlackBerry OS 10 would function as well as it does today but without providing excuses for developers not to release BlackBerry OS 10 native applications.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-20-14 06:26 AM
    I'm not, I'm just saying that Google services is one step closer to BlackBerry becoming an android smartphone, I don't want that. I really don't mind the runtime, I just don't want Google services. It makes it seem as if we need them to complete the BLACKBERRY experience

Posted via CB10
    We do need it from an app standpoint.
    03-20-14 06:30 AM
    You don't need to worry - BB isn't ever going to get Google Services Framework on BB10. BB10 doesn't come close to qualifying for Google Certification, and without that, there is no chance of getting GSF. BB would have to dump QNX/BB10 and use Android in order to get GSF, and while I think they should have done that in 2009, it's FAR too late for that now. BB has fully committed to QNX/BB10, and it's too late to change.
    If BlackBerry had adopted Google Android instead of QNX I wouldn't be using a BlackBerry 10 smartphone right now.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    daithiD likes this.
    03-20-14 06:30 AM
    If BlackBerry had adopted Google Android instead of QNX I wouldn't be using a BlackBerry 10 smartphone right now.
    Perhaps, and I'm not trying to be overly harsh, but if BB had sold 60M phones instead of 6M, I'm sure they wouldn't miss you. I totally understand that there are hardcore BB fans who love BB10 and want it just like it is. The problem is that there aren't nearly enough of you to make BB phones a viable business. Even Chen is uncertain if the handset business can be sustained for very long.

It's fine to please a niche business IF you can charge a healthy premium for serving that niche. I'm not sure that people are going to buy BB phones for $1200-2000 each in any significant numbers - they aren't buying Z10s at $300 in significant numbers. A niche business has to have high margins to make up for the lack of economies of scale, and right now, BB doesn't have either high margins or economies of scale. Business 101 will tell you that this model isn't sustainable, and BB's business over the last year proves the truth of that.

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge anyway - the decision has been made, and it isn't going to change now. BB is committed to BB10, built on QNX, and they're going to stick with it even if it ultimately means the end of the handset business. I hope that doesn't happen - I like having competition, because it keeps everyone focused on moving things forward. I'm just don't know if there's enough gas left in the tank for BB.
    03-20-14 02:23 PM
    Your not alone I definitely don't want them stuffing Google all over BlackBerry 10 either.

F*ck Google and their 24/7 data and info mining software.

BlackBerry 10 yes please.

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    03-20-14 02:26 PM
    I understand OP'S point but with many here the Android runtime fills the "app gap" till BlackBerry World get its own apps this is necessary actually I think that having the ability to use Android is a plus, a two for one. I personally don't use any Android apps whatsoever as BlackBerry World has what I need but for those who are into it, fine in my book.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 05:57 PM
    I personally don't use any Android apps whatsoever as BlackBerry World has what I need
    Right, but even a large number of BB World apps, including many popular ones, ARE Android apps, running on the Android runtime, that have just been packaged for BB10 by the developer. They aren't native BB10 Cascades apps, and without the Android runtime, many of those apps currently in BB World wouldn't be there.

How many BB10 owners would be happy with ONLY apps that are "Built for BB" (i.e., truly native)?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    03-20-14 06:02 PM
    We do need it from an app standpoint.
    I wish Blackberry would make it an option to have a "clean blackberry" phone without android run time installed (just give me the option to uninstall android run time), but at this point blackberry needs to android run time to run a good many of apps.

My question is there anything on the BB10 phones that require android run time to run if you are only going to be installing native apps or no apps at all.
    03-20-14 06:11 PM
    Right, but even a large number of BB World apps, including many popular ones, ARE Android apps, running on the Android runtime, that have just been packaged for BB10 by the developer. They aren't native BB10 Cascades apps, and without the Android runtime, many of those apps currently in BB World wouldn't be there.

How many BB10 owners would be happy with ONLY apps that are "Built for BB" (i.e., truly native)?
    Well that's the seal I look for before buying "built for BlackBerry " I don't use many apps but the ones that I do use are all tagged accordingly. Like I said the runtime Is fine for those who want / need it. You have the option to do do or not which is good,

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 06:13 PM
    Not seeing who is putting a gun to the OP head.... as it is BB OS that "can" run.,... not needed to run.... Android Apps....... unsure what the OP issue is... if you do not want to be exposed to Android ports... do not install them... problem soved..... would seem to me users would want whatever support the plarform can utilize..... lastly... cannot understand why people rail against Android apps considering they are in the top two plarforms on the planet....
    03-20-14 06:26 PM