Wow, that is an unfortunate quote from the Google folks. A few weeks ago, I was told that they were definitely releasing a new version in January which would work with the storm GPS. It would appear that he was just GUESSING, though, and had no actual reason to believe it was true. What a shame.
    Too bad nobody called him out on his speculation and requested proof... now all of our hopes are dashed apart.
    I hope that in the future, people won't offer speculation as fact and get hopes up for nothing... and I also hope they don't call everybody names for questioning their psychic powers.
    01-14-09 01:56 PM
    I'm on Verizon, yes, and have never roamed on GSM yet.

And by precisely, I mean, it has to be within only a few meters...

Also, during the "warm up" period, if I click "My location," it says "GPS service temporarily unavailable" (or something like that). And I get location within 1800 meters, generally (I've seen it down to within 800 meters). Once it locates me down to a single dot and not a radius, pressing "My location" does not produce the GPS not available message.
    I will note: the "warm up period," as I called it, does take a few minutes.
    Strange. I am on Verizon in DC and don't get the same response at all. I had to go out for something and carried my Storm out in my hand with google maps running for about 10 minutes. It kept popping back and forth between 2000 meters and 700 meters (probably variations in tower strength) and always said GPS is temporarily unavailable.

What do you have the network set to. I initially had it set to "Global" but switched to 1XEV. I also see a GSM/UMTS option but I don't know what it is.
    01-14-09 02:46 PM
    I also see a GSM/UMTS option but I don't know what it is.
    That is the network technology that everybody else uses. Your SIM card allow you to use it. If you set it to GSM, Google Maps will get a GPS lock, but you won't have any data capability, so it's kinda useless.
    01-14-09 02:54 PM
    I'm on Verizon, yes, and have never roamed on GSM yet.

And by precisely, I mean, it has to be within only a few meters. I can tell which side of the street I'm on, or which corner at an intersection. There is no "radius" showing, just a dot. (It might say "your location within X meters," I don't specifically recall.)

Also, during the "warm up" period, if I click "My location," it says "GPS service temporarily unavailable" (or something like that). And I get location within 1800 meters, generally (I've seen it down to within 800 meters). Once it locates me down to a single dot and not a radius, pressing "My location" does not produce the GPS not available message.
    I think we're all really shocked by this and are wondering what settings you have in order to do this. What version of Google Maps do you have on your 9530? When you first installed GMM, did it work right away or did you ever tweak any settings to get this to work? Please share more info on this as all the rest of us using a 9530 on the Verizon network cannot get more than a blue dot w/ a light blue radius when we view our location in GMM.
    01-14-09 02:58 PM
    I think we're all really shocked by this and are wondering what settings you have in order to do this. What version of Google Maps do you have on your 9530? When you first installed GMM, did it work right away or did you ever tweak any settings to get this to work? Please share more info on this as all the rest of us using a 9530 on the Verizon network cannot get more than a blue dot w/ a light blue radius when we view our location in GMM.
    Nothing special about my settings. Location on, location assistance on, network set to automatic and global.

I'm too busy to go outside and try it right now, but I'll try it again after work. Maybe I was tripping...

I do want to say I played with the location assistance settings... but that is set to "enabled" now.

Edit: GMM version 2.3.2.
    Last edited by Revolutionary; 01-14-09 at 04:12 PM.
    01-14-09 03:47 PM
    Yup definately a GPS lock. When I start Google Maps I have a message along the lines of 'Your position within 500m. Waiting for GPS'. After 10 seconds or so it changes to 'Your position to within 5m'. Those distances are variable depending on GPS etc.

If anyone knows how to do a screen grab, I'll show you where I am :-)

Nick
    http://www.thetechmogul.com/CaptureIt/CaptureIt.jad

Capture It Should Do The Trick
    01-14-09 04:28 PM
    Cool, thanks BeLogical - works a treat!

Here's said grab - taken crossing the river Thames on a train on my way to work this morning
    01-15-09 01:16 AM
    I'm too busy to go outside and try it right now, but I'll try it again after work. Maybe I was tripping...
    ??? Inquiring minds want to know.
    01-15-09 07:37 AM
    So these people that have GMM working with GPS, Do you also pay for vznav? I know on the curve when you payed for VZnav gps worked with other apps.
    01-15-09 07:50 AM

Here's said grab - taken crossing the river Thames on a train on my way to work this morning
    that makes me so JEALOUS!

... because your GPS works in Google Maps, not because you are crossing the river Thames....
    01-15-09 08:43 AM
    that does look sweet, thanks for the screen capture.
    01-15-09 09:49 AM

i'm so coming over there to steal your phone (please continue to post your screen shots)

01-15-09 09:50 AM
    I think Google maps works w/GPS anywhere but here in the US with Verizon.
    01-15-09 09:57 AM
    I think Google maps works w/GPS anywhere but here in the US with Verizon.
    Which makes what Google is spouting complete BS.
    01-15-09 11:27 AM
    Nothing special about my settings. Location on, location assistance on, network set to automatic and global.

I do want to say I played with the location assistance settings... but that is set to "enabled" now.

Edit: GMM version 2.3.2.
    Sounds like all the normal settings to me. Can you check this again as soon as you get a chance? and possibly use the CaptureIt program also to show us how it looks on your device?
    01-15-09 11:45 AM
    ok i am working on this now. It looks like some people have gotten it worked on a 9530 with verizon, it seems to be an install problem.

I am doing a battery pull and testing a few things after that (once i can get past the darn media card error, which is annoying!)

i will update in a few
    01-15-09 12:25 PM
    I got a new Bluetooth GPS puck yesterday to use with my Verizon Curve 8330. I had no luck at home getting it to work with GMM yesterday. Brought it into work, and tried this morning, and to my surprise, it did get a lock (quite quickly) and said it was showing my location within 3 meters I believe. Was able to generate directions from my location just fine.

I lost my pairing with the device when I walked away from the puck later in the am. Since that time, I am unable to get GMM to recognize where I am from the GPS, just the tower triangulation shows up. I have Blackberry maps also installed and it is able to find my location using the puck. It also works with the internal GPS but I really want to use GMM instead, which is why I got the puck. Anyway, I verified that Blackberry maps is using the puck and not internal GPS, which it is, so I am fairly certain that I have a good pairing and that the GPS is locked in.

I have tried deleting and re-pairing the puck to the phone, have done a battery pull restart just for the heck of it, but no change. Not real sure what is going on, but at this point it seems GMM is going to be unreliable at best and I may need to stick with Blackberry maps instead. :-(

Anyone with suggestions for what to try? I'm all ears.

Not sure why it worked earlier, but does not work now. I am still sitting in my office where I was earlier when it worked.
    01-15-09 12:47 PM
    i am still having trouble getting this to work, but I cant get a lock in BB maps right now either due to being in my office. its like 1F degrees here in indy, so i am not about to go sit outside and try to get this to work

i found this link on geekzone forum. try these suggestions, let me know what you get

BlackBerry Storm Google Maps
    01-15-09 12:55 PM
    i found this link on geekzone forum. try these suggestions, let me know what you get

BlackBerry Storm Google Maps
    Those people are not on Verizon. Different issue.
    01-15-09 01:15 PM
    OK. An update from Ohio (where it is also quite cold but I can do this from inside). I went to BB Maps, and did a start navigation, with my puck as the GPS source. It was able to give me a fix there with no problem. Then I switched to GMM and did a "My Location". Just like that, it correctly identified my location to within 3 meters.

As a test, I switched back to BB Maps, and stopped navigation. By the time I got back to GMM, it was showing me with the approximate, tower-triangulated position. Switch back to BB Maps, start navigation, and upon going back to GMM like magic it has me back in the right spot.

So, the conclusion I am reaching on this is that at least for my puck (an i.Trek M7) GMM will not initiate a GPS lookup via the puck on its own, but if BB Maps is already pulling GPS data over, it will gladly use it. If no GPS data is being pulled by some other app, GMM simply uses triangulation.

Does this make any sense???
    01-15-09 01:22 PM
    OK. An update from Ohio (where it is also quite cold but I can do this from inside). I went to BB Maps, and did a start navigation, with my puck as the GPS source. It was able to give me a fix there with no problem. Then I switched to GMM and did a "My Location". Just like that, it correctly identified my location to within 3 meters.

As a test, I switched back to BB Maps, and stopped navigation. By the time I got back to GMM, it was showing me with the approximate, tower-triangulated position. Switch back to BB Maps, start navigation, and upon going back to GMM like magic it has me back in the right spot.

So, the conclusion I am reaching on this is that at least for my puck (an i.Trek M7) GMM will not initiate a GPS lookup via the puck on its own, but if BB Maps is already pulling GPS data over, it will gladly use it. If no GPS data is being pulled by some other app, GMM simply uses triangulation.

Does this make any sense???
    Interesting. Now try it using the internal GPS...
    01-15-09 01:26 PM
    grrr. i bet the people who use it on verizon can get it to work because they have vznav enabled. google needs to seriously take 1 day and just update the program so it calls the GPS and not aGPS. all add street view for the storm!
    01-15-09 01:48 PM
    grrr. i bet the people who use it on verizon can get it to work because they have vznav enabled. google needs to seriously take 1 day and just update the program so it calls the GPS and not aGPS. all add street view for the storm!
    It does have street view... I've used it.
    01-15-09 02:09 PM
    No dice on the internal GPS. It works fine with BB Maps since Verizon enabled that application, but I don't think any other app (other than VZnavigator of course) will work with the internal one at this time.

GMM does not work with the internal GPS on my Curve anyway, nor does Beyond 411. Both work with the puck (at least if I fire up BB Maps and start navigating first). I have no other GPS-enabled apps to try, but I assume they would be the same.
    01-15-09 02:17 PM
    I've already tried it, it doesn't work. And actually, when you start the gps on BBM, and then switch over to GM, the gps is automatically turned off in BBM.
    01-15-09 02:17 PM
126 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD