I turn off mobile network, then it gets within 6 meters pretty quick. As soon as I turn the mobile network back on it wants to lock at the tower and 4800 meters.

Specs:
    - US Cellular Bold 9650 / 5.0.0.810
    - Google Maps v 4.4.0
    - GPS test from Options > Status > "test" passes with a very quick lock, indoors or out
    - BB Maps locks to 10 sats very quickly and accurately
    - GPS settings: Location ON, Location Data enabled, Location Aiding enabled

I've wiped and reloaded the OS with the same results. When I kill mobile network - Google Maps locks to 6 meters almost immediately, network ON, it won't get under 2,400 meters (the nearest tower - there aren't many around here). What about the radio/1XEV is interfering with Google Maps and GPS locking?

** If there are "10,000 threads about this already" by god I looked and can't find 'em, and I apologize if it has been covered. I appreciate any information anyone is willing to provide.
    nicholascrawford likes this.
    09-08-10 09:26 AM
    Have you tried with Location Aiding Off? I don't know why it would give you a problem unless your cell towers in your area are having a problem with the "assist".
    09-09-10 07:32 AM
    I tried with Location Data and/or Location Aiding enabled/disabled without any discernable difference. I will continue to play with those settings, as your point about cell towers causing problems seems very reasonable.
    09-09-10 07:43 AM
    Good news you are not alone. My 8530 started doing the same thing in mid August.

Bad news. After 2 calls to data technical support and a trip to the store I finally got the answer. When USCC made telenav their GPS of choice in August they blocked the cellular network from communicating with any other GPS app, including blackberry maps. I have to say I do like telenav for turn by turn directions but that's about it, so much for using latitude. Oh and btw, telenav is a subscription based service and the data plan rates have changed. Currently I pay 39.95 for mine because it includes tethering however if I want telenav it will jump to 50, without tethering it would be 30.

Question of the day, is there a way around USCC blocking the network aide?
    09-10-10 12:51 PM
    okmedic07, thanks for that. That would explain why killing communication with the towers immediately locks me to within 6 (sometimes 3) meters... but only a few moments go by before Google Maps starts crying about needing a data connection to work properly and shuts itself down.

This is bunk. Part of the reason I moved from an 8330 (on which GPS worked after much tweaking) to this 9650 is because I wanted Google Maps to work, even faster, on this much nicer device.

What does USCC do, confuse the GPS with garbage from its towers? I have noticed that it will lock on at the tower level (there's only one in my town) with 4200 - 5000 meter area, yet doesn't even mention GPS, as if Google Maps thinks that it has locked with GPS. (in the past, if Google Maps couldn't get GPS lock, it would say "your location within XX meters, GPS temp unavailable" or such).

I used to wince sympathetically when I'd hear of Verizon's NONSENSE of blocking GPS on their handsets, and I used to think "wow, I'm lucky to be a USCC customer." If this crap is true, no longer....
    09-10-10 01:10 PM
    Any update on this situation? I lost my Tour 9630 recently (alcohol is the devil!) which used to get a lock right away on Google Maps, and decided to upgrade and get a Bold 9650. I'm noticing the same GPS issues that you're having with Google Maps (I'm on Sprint).

My GPS run tracking app, Sporty Pal, can't even get a GPS signal (used to work lovely on my Tour 9630).
    10-12-10 11:33 PM
    Wow, so that's why it sucks!

Thought I was the only one having this problem, and yes, I too used to snicker when I heard of Verizon users being locked down with their GPS.

I just signed-up for the Belief plan (saved me $5/mo) and apparently I'm losing some functionality with USC now, wonderful!
    11-23-10 03:21 PM
    No way. You guys are totally right about US Cellular. I "upgraded" to a Belief Plan which included the Your Navigator Deluxe for free. The rep recommended downloading it for the turn-by-turn directions. I didn't really need it, but I tried it. Big mistake. It bricked location functions for Foursquare, Google Maps, Weather, etc. Not worth it at all. Calling in, the support person didn't mention the Telenav proprietary arrangement, but it all makes sense now.

I had hoped upgrading to OS6 would fix this, but it hasn't.

Has anyone uninstalled Your Navigator before wiping and doing a clean install of the OS? Seems that GPS works great if you can just get it away from the harmful effects of Your Navigator.
    03-25-11 03:23 PM
    Google Maps 4.5.3 was released today, try it :

From your BB, go to >>> Google Maps
    03-25-11 03:32 PM
    Google Maps 4.5.3 was released today, try it :

From your BB, go to >>> m.google.com/maps
    Good idea, but no dice. I get the GPS lock within seconds when I turn off Mobile Network but that's no way to navigate.

Talked the technical support rep today who had no knowledge of the Telenav issue. You can tell right away when you talk to someone whether they're gonna know the answer to your question right away. "What do you mean when you say cell tower location?"

I might just try calling again or go to a store. When someone suggests wiping the phone and reinstalling, I don't think they realize that it takes me about a day to get back to normal with all the apps and settings.
    03-25-11 04:09 PM
    Good idea, but no dice. I get the GPS lock within seconds when I turn off Mobile Network but that's no way to navigate.

Talked the technical support rep today who had no knowledge of the Telenav issue. You can tell right away when you talk to someone whether they're gonna know the answer to your question right away. "What do you mean when you say cell tower location?"

I might just try calling again or go to a store. When someone suggests wiping the phone and reinstalling, I don't think they realize that it takes me about a day to get back to normal with all the apps and settings.
    Don't speak to a normal Customer Service agent, speak to someone from the technical department.

I feel it has something to do with the service books

If you have a friend with a BB who is able to use it fine, then just try resending the service books yourself....

If you don't, then tell that guy in the technical department about the issue and they will add it

------------------------------------------------------------
    From universel search, type service books, then enter that option, then press the BB Menu button, and choose Register
    03-25-11 04:36 PM
    Don't speak to a normal Customer Service agent, speak to someone from the technical department.
    You're right - I did speak to a tech person both times. Sometimes you get a winner, sometimes you get someone who's just not very familiar with the BlackBerry.

From universel search, type service books, then enter that option, then press the BB Menu button, and choose Register
    I found the Register Now option under Host Routing Table and tried that. I got a message saying my device was registered. We'll see if it works...
    03-25-11 05:17 PM
    With Google Maps 4.5.3, it's not happening any more. I don't get the GPS lock at all - with or without the Mobile Network connection.
    03-28-11 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD